PDA

View Full Version : higher amp alternator!

Nasko1
08-06-2014, 01:51 AM
Ok my sprinter comes with 90amp alternator stock I am gonna upgrade to 150amp but does it put more stress on the crankshaft pulley????

Nasko1
08-06-2014, 01:52 AM
Ok my sprinter comes with 90amp alternator stock I am gonna upgrade to 150amp but does it put more stress on the crankshaft pulley????

autostaretx
08-06-2014, 04:33 AM
Since they use the same pulleys for all grades of alternator, any additional stresses should be within the design limits.
You're raising the alternator's load on the belt system by 66% to about 3 horsepower, max.
If the alternator isn't delivering the full 150 amps, it's not adding to the load proportionally.

--dick

chads
08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
I would have to say yes it is more but I wouldn't think it's enough to worry about since it is only more when your running a higher load.
More than likely your going to have the same use/load as before unless your adding something that pulls more load.

In my opinion it is more along the lines of heavy duty part that should last longer.

Unless you have a compromised keyway in some way I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a 06 cargo and it had a rebuilt 90 amp that failed.
After looking at the 200a etc. I replaced it with another 90 amp but did buy a new bosch brand as I hear the rebuilt ones do not last that long.
The warranty is good on it Hopefully it will hold up for a long time.
After looking at the old one I did however buy new voltage regulator off ebay for $15 and the old one works fine now if I need it in a pinch.
Chad

Aqua Puttana
08-06-2014, 01:29 PM
First. There is generally no benefit for anyone to post duplicate threads. It clutters the forum and interrupts the information flow.

The Write-up section is intended for instructional and informational threads. It is not a good place to just ask questions. Your two similar threads have been merged into one.

Back to topic.

The 150 amp alternator is fairly common on the T1N's.

The 200 amp alternator is an OEM size. It has even more mass than the 150 amp. I haven't seen anywhere that alternator alternator size and HB failure have been related. :idunno:

vic

skydiver007
08-07-2014, 02:25 AM
The clutch on the alternator is designed to reduce stress on the belt and crank shaft.

Chris Francis
08-21-2014, 12:32 PM
I sure would like to run an inverter and some air conditioning.