Harmonic balancer keyway f....up. Possible fix?? Or junkyard...

Nasko1

This just happen to

Me as I was driving back home from Boise idaho, and the battery light comes on so I pull over right away I look under oil is leaking I look some more belt is siting all messed up so ya..... I had the Sprinter towed back to SlC Utah ..... At the freightliner dealer. It was there for 2 days they just called me today and told

Me I need a new engine 11k because the keyway is messed up and perfectly good running engine is done!!!! So I am gonna tow it to my house tomorrow and idk if I should try to fix it like u did somehow ...??? Or look for a new Sprinter....

2004 ...3500 .. Grrrrrrr I wonder if I can make it work som how

Can anyone tell/show me the old woodruff key and the newer version late 06!!

Been trying to get the old key out of the keyway on the crank no go so far half is out but I am thinking to just make me a new keyway :) if that works

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Years ago I had a similar dilemma on a Toyota. The garage ordered a new balancer and carefully cleaned up the nose of the crank and the keyway. They reinstalled the new balancer and a new key supported by an epoxy repair product apparently designed for this sort of situation. The bolt was installed with high strength Loctite. The motor ran fine for many many miles and eventually was sold. I'm sure it was as good as new for many years. The shop charged me about 10% of what the dealer wanted for a new crankshaft. Good luck.:cheers:

Last edited:

I recall at least a couple threads about dealing with the HB area crank damage and re-use to avoid crankshaft replacement. There are some decent products out on the market which can help. An advanced search using keywords "key" maybe with "crankshaft" should reveal them. Select the T1N section to limit unrelated posts.

Not that any one asked...
I would replace the bolt regardless of the repair method selected.

vic

lindenengineering

This just happen to

Me as I was driving back home from Boise idaho, and the battery light comes on so I pull over right away I look under oil is leaking I look some more belt is siting all messed up so ya..... I had the Sprinter towed back to SlC Utah ..... At the freightliner dealer. It was there for 2 days they just called me today and told

Me I need a new engine 11k because the keyway is messed up and perfectly good running engine is done!!!! So I am gonna tow it to my house tomorrow and idk if I should try to fix it like u did somehow ...??? Or look for a new Sprinter....

2004 ...3500 .. Grrrrrrr I wonder if I can make it work som how

Can anyone tell/show me the old woodruff key and the newer version late 06!!

Been trying to get the old key out of the keyway on the crank no go so far half is out but I am thinking to just make me a new keyway :) if that works
nasko1
The success or failure of such a "jury rig repair" depends much upon the severity the damage sustained to the crank nose.
In your case judging by your text, I deduce you have the one piece key that shares a slot across the crank outer journal retaining the timing sprocket as well as the balancer assembly.

The only way to separate in situ the exposed part is with a mini die grinder/Dremel tool then either make up a new key arrangement or alter a new key to fill in the space lost by the removed and damaged section plus an in fill of the crank slot with liquid metal. Remember these keys are made of tool steel and therefore very hard.

Repair of the crank key slot can be a challenge and in these cases I use Belzona metal mender; it about the best there is and it is in fact used in oil fields to repair well head Christmas trees.
I have used it to repair (big hole) in very rare cylinder block skirt on a mid 1930's Hispano Suiza with great success.

Once ready to re-assemble copiously apply loctite 601 to the crank journal then bolt up the balancer torquing to 245lbft plus 30 degrees torque to yield.
Use a new bolt and washer and change out the crank seal making sure it is squarely placed and pre-lubed before assembly--cos if it leaks you will have a job on your hands (if done right to remove that balancer assy again.
Best of luck
Dennis

p.s. readers
If you are wondering what is an Hispano Suiza (a magnificent motor car) see the attachment.
Motor cars still running 100 years since being produced and please enjoy the diversion of old Europe/Spain as you contemplate the "travails" of getting that crank pulley back on and the challenges for fixing/restoring an old croc/coche carcacha.
D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rib9irkelA

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasko1

Thanks bc339 that's very helpful ... I wonder is it possible to fit a new key into an old keyway(frontone)?

lindenengineering

Nasko1

Comment!
I sincerely hope you are plugging up the open timing case cavity with a rag as you are working on this project?????:thumbup:
A slight slip and the new key will fall into the timing case and at best fall into the pan!:thumbdown:
Knowing most "lucky scenarios" it will get jammed in the timing chain or oil pump drive chain then it will be a tear down for sure!:cry:

Just thinking like a pro mechanic whose "bin thur and dun that"!
Dennis

Nasko1

Yessir I am covering around with the rag when I am working on it .. Just took it off there to try if the new key fits tight in the new slot (gets in the way)

But ya it would suck if it falls in I had a close call....:)

Nasko1

So today I am gonna torque the harmonic balance bolt to spec... But how should I hold the pulley from spinning stick extension trough the pulley and stick it in that hole on block? Or is there another way?

icarus

Re: How to hold pulley so I can torque?

Flywheel lock tool.

Search forum threads for a source

Icarus

Nasko1

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407706764.292686.jpg

I am gonna use this extansion trough the harmonic balancer while I torque it to spec ... Hopefully I don't crack the block!! :)

sailquik

If you put that extension in that hole in the very thin aluminum front cover, and try to tighten the torque to yield bolt in the end of the crankshaft you will be looking at taking the entire front cover off, getting new gaskets, replacing the cover and buying the correct fly wheel lock tool tomorrow.
Definitely penny wise/pound foolish.
Roger

Last edited:

BlackHawk

Don't do it!

Really!

Don't!

You're messing around with an "$11,000" engine, go spend/rent the lock tool. You absolutely need it. I've changed the HB on my van before. You won't believe the amount of torque you have to apply to the new bolt to get it to spec.

BlackHawk

I didn't try lol I decided not to risk it... I just ordered the tool.
Wise man. Welcome to the Mercedes Redundantly Overpriced Specialized Tool Club, don't forget to order your clipboard and white lab coat to wear while you're working on the van. :rad:

Top Bottom