Troubleshooting Help

post356

Hey Guys and Girls,

I need some expert help in diagnosing a new sound I have been hearing from my 2009 2500.

A little background : A few weeks ago I had a fuel leak from the purge hose on top of the fuel filter. The leak happened on the interstate a few times. The leak would drip diesel fuel down over the engine and I could smell it in the cab. I of course pulled off and was able to patch the leak until I got home, ordered new parts and replace the leaky connection, no problem.

The issue : Since that leak I had notice a whirling high pitch noise when the vehicle is in park or neutral. The noise it not overly loud but enough that I notice over the beautiful purrr of the Sprinter engine. When I put it in reverse or drive the noise goes away. At first I though it could be the transmission, and I was due for a service so I change the filter and fluid. The noise was still there with no change.

Its hard to tell exactly were the noise is coming from but its sounds stronger on the front right of the engine, when looking at it from the front. I can seem to here it louder when I listen from down below.

Overall my Sprinter is running great but concerned of course with any new noise I hear.

Has anyone a clue what this could be? Has anyone had this problem before? Could the diesel leak have caused the belts to make this noise?

The most important piece of troubleshooting info I have found it that when I put it in reverse or drive the noise goes away.

Thanks to all for there input and help in advance.

post356

Just found a new symptom, when the engine is cold like the first start of the day the noise is not there, its only once the engine warms up that the noise appears.

I have also attached a recording of the noise. The recording was taken from the right side above the engine. I shifted from R to N, so you might be able to hear the difference.

Please any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

3mbusa

Sorry, but I could not detect any change in sound during the recording -- just a Sprinter at idle with the same sounds from start to finish of the recording. :idunno:

post356

I realize the recording is not quite conclusive, but does the problem itself sound like something you have heard before?

Maybe the Diesel leak cause something to dry out? Like the lubrication inside one of the pulleys? On that side I can see the power steering pump and something just below it that I am not quite sure what it is. I check the power steering fluid in it looks clean and full.

3mbusa, Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

3mbusa

If you got diesel on the belt maybe the change in rpms between neutral and drive could cause a pitch change coming from a partially lubricated belt? :idunno:

Top Bottom