Scangauge hookup question

jsilver

So I have a scangauge that I use in my pickup and used in my diesel Sportsmobile. It's at least 5 years old, probably older. It has a rectangular OBD connector. I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect it to the Sprinter ('14, with 4 cylinder engine). I can open the fuse box by driver's left knee, but don't se any obvious OBD port. There is a connector, with what may be OBD connectors, but BOTH sides are connected together. Do I just undo this connection and hook up the Scangauge to the appropriate end? What happens to the other side of this wiring? Or am I missing the obvious?

Thanks

John

pfflyer

On a 2013 the OBDII port is on the left hand side of the opening when you remove the fuse cover. To read "OBDII" on the cover of the port you would have to look up from the floor but you should be able to see it with out getting on the floor. Search here for a link on a extension cable that you can use so that you can close the fuse door without cutting anything. If they changed this for 2014 someone else will need to help you.

sailquik

jsilver,
You have to remove the fuse box cover (the big curved plastic one) they you look up behind the hood release handle and open the small black rectangular door/cover over the OBD-II port.
You can carefully pry the hinge trunnions apart with a tiny flat blade screwdriver and remove the little black cover/door.
Then plug in your cable from the Scan Gauge II.
As suggested there are several options to have the Scan Gauge II connected all the time and replace the large fuse box cover.
I have cut a rectangular slot in the fuse box cover that allows the Scan Gauge II plug to stick through the cover with the fuse box cover
fully locked in it's normal position.
There is an adapter that fits under the fuse box cover that provides enough clearance to get the fuse box cover back on and plug the Scan Gauge II
plug up forward where there's more space.
Some have removed the 2 screws that mount the OEM OBD-II port and turned the port 180 deg. so the cable comes out to the front and
it fits better.
The replacement fuse box cover is very inexpensive, so if you modify it (as I did) you can get a new one easily and cheaply.
Roger

jsilver

I was looking in completely the wrong place... Thanks for your help- hooked up. Now I just need to program appropriately.

Thanks
John

sailquik

John;
Do a search on Scan Gauge II setup. All the things you need to enter to get the start up PIDs
Is pretty well spelled out.
Fuel use won't be accurate until you do the fill up calibration.
Roger

I wonder if modifying the cover might catch the attention of an overzealous MB technician? Last I recall MB specifically warns against using permanently connected performance monitoring units. Their claim is that it can negatively affect the ECM aka ECU and other vehicle control module operations.

MB's stand is probably based more upon legal than practical considerations.

:2cents: vic

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I wonder if modifying the cover might catch the attention of an overzealous MB technician? Last I recall MB specifically warns against using permanently connected performance monitoring units. Their claim is that it can negatively affect the ECM aka ECU and other vehicle control module operations.

MB's stand is probably based more upon legal than practical considerations.
Can you say "Magnuson–Moss"?

They can claim anything they want. What they can't do is deny a warranty claim due to the use of non-OEM equipment unless they can prove that it actually caused the failure. As you suggest, this is pretty unlikely in the case of the Scan Gauge.

People are always talking about this or that "voiding the warranty." This is generally not possible, at least in the USA. The worst you can do is get some issue excluded from warranty coverage.

JJolls

'14 170 4cyl Crew
On my '14, I was able to pry off the cover of the OBD port and attach a Right Angle Flat OBD connector (Amazon @ $9.99)... no cutting or other modifications on the fuse cover needed for the installation. ScanGauge connected to this, and I was good to go. The OBD cover now lives in the glove box, to be easily snapped back in place should I need to go to MB for service.

Cheers, JJ

pfflyer

On my '14, I was able to pry off the cover of the OBD port and attach a Right Angle Flat OBD connector (Amazon @ $9.99)... no cutting or other modifications on the fuse cover needed for the installation. ScanGauge connected to this, and I was good to go. The OBD cover now lives in the glove box, to be easily snapped back in place should I need to go to MB for service.

Cheers, JJ
I do the same thing. My dealer may not have any issue with SG or may be able to win my case in the end but I prefer not to put up with the hassle if an issue should arise.

Top Bottom