Turbo Pipe Won't Stay Seated

MarkinOly

The second downstream aluminum pipe from the turbo won't stay seated, producing a gap between the pipe and the rubber gasket at the plenum (?) that releases turbo pressure which results in some very ugly driving behavior. The first time this happened, I simply loosened some nuts, adjusted the alignment of the pipes, and I was on my way. That repair lasted several hundred miles. Now that approach lasts just a few yards-and eventually required a tow. I've tried every which way to tighten and adjust the anchoring straps, but they just won't hold. My thoughtful and clever "multi-brand" mechanic is befuddled by this. I've found no technical bulletins for this on-line. I can't be the only one experiencing this. With only 9000 miles on the ticker, this seems to be a design flaw. The pipe seems too short or the gasket is the wrong size. Please: HELLLLPP!

2011 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 LWB, dualies.
Pleasure Way Plateau MP
~9000 miles

Attachments

Last edited:

MarkinOly

Vic: Thanks for your reply! Yes, I've tried to adjust the alignment of the resonator, but I can't get enough movement to make any difference. I'm getting just a few millimeters of movement at best. I couldn't find any other screws behind the unit to provide me any more wiggle room.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip> I can't be the only one experiencing this. With only 9000 miles on the ticker, this seems to be a design flaw. The pipe seems too short or the gasket is the wrong size. <snip>
I have nearly 60,000 miles on my 2007 Sprinter and it's never happened to me. I don't recall anyone posting about a similar problem, either.

Was there any engine compartment work done just prior to the first occurrence? Did anyone do any work in the vicinity?

I realize it's likely that the gasket is original, factory equipment, but I suspect the gasket is improperly sized or inappropriate for your equipment.

I doubt it's too short, but maybe someone can measure another NCV3 pipe to confirm that you that yours is the proper length.

-Jon

MarkinOly

Jon: Thanks for your response. With used, hard to know what the previous owner did under there. No record of it. Also, no conspicuous signs of messing about during my first roadside McGuyvering. With only 9000 miles and still with the factory-fresh scent, it's hard to imagine the need for any work. No other work has been done to engine since my (ok, bank's) ownership at 5000 miles (besides power steering fluid work; hose from the unit to the cooler came off once. I had to refill the unit with NAPA power steering fluid-all they had in Troutdale. MB-Bellevue replaced with correct fluid.).

And yes, the rubber gasket seems awfully soft for the job it must do. If it was longer, and fit deeper into the cross pipe, I suspect the alignment would improve, and thus the problem. Which brings up another conundrum: how did an improper gasket get in there?

Could the turbo be creating too much pressure and blowing the system apart? If I had too much pressure, wouldn't the sensor pick that up and give me a warning light?

Taking it to Tacoma Mercedes Benz for service. Hope it is covered by warranty.

Does anyone know of any reason to avoid Tacoma MB? (There are lots of sharks out there and I seem to be leaking a stinky blood trail!)

MarkinOly

Vic: Thanks for your reply! Yes, I've tried to adjust the alignment of the resonator, but I can't get enough movement to make any difference. I'm getting just a few millimeters of movement at best. I couldn't find any other screws behind the unit to provide me any more wiggle room. Also, the resonator's attachment to the down pipe (downstream) doesn't allow much wiggle room either. :idunno:

Could the turbo be creating too much pressure and blowing the system apart? If I had too much pressure, wouldn't the sensor pick that up and give me a warning light?

Too much pressure is probably unlikely, but...

Yes, if you were getting over-pressure on the charge air system then the ECM aka ECU would notice and should set a code and enable the MIL aka CEL on the dash.

vic

doctorzaius

Should be a third screw in the resonator (backside of what is shown above). I can't tell from the thread if you loosened that or not.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
With that much misalignment, i would take long hard look at the engine mounts.

Something (delivery truck mishap?) may have broken or "realigned" one (or more).

--dick

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
The second downstream aluminum pipe from the turbo won't stay seated, producing a gap between the pipe and the rubber gasket at the plenum Please: HELLLLPP!

2011 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 LWB, dualies.
Pleasure Way Plateau MP
~9000 miles
CJPJ's photo show the correct configuration.
Remove the air cleaner and 2 electrical connectors.
Remove the top engine cover so you can see the turbo.
Loosen the aluminum pipe on the turbo outlet, loosen up all the resonator bolts.
You should now be able to rotate the pipe and rotate the resonator down like the photos.
I had a dealership leave off the rear bolt behind the resonator, found it in the engine compartment right where he dropped it.

Cvollmar

I had one of my fleet vehicles have this problem. The fix as gary 32 said was to loosen and reposition all the pipes. Have not had a problem since.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>
Does anyone know of any reason to avoid Tacoma MB? (There are lots of sharks out there and I seem to be leaking a stinky blood trail!)
I don't think anyone's reviewed the service department. The sales department seems to be competently staffed.

-Jon

mike01001

This happened to my 2009 after the dealer had removed the resonator to do some work. I can't remember if they replaced that large rubber piece that you show popped out in the pic but they definitely replaced the o-ring sealing the pipe to turbo. Because the seal was disturbed it pops out more easily and needed to be replaced. This may sound convoluted, let me know if I should explain it better.

Trax450

This happened to me , last year

and problem was the thin cast molded bracket , 1 screw was missing and small tab leg under pipe was broken ,this created enough side play to allow the pipe to come out .

mike01001

In my earlier post concerning this issue I thought the problem was the small o-ring but that ring is at the other end of the turbo. The problem was in fact the large black one shown that was popped out. Upon looking at that area on my van it appears when they put the new one in they sprayed a red colored adhesive or sealant to help hold it in place. I don't know for sure if that is what it is but before the work was done to replace it the two Sprinter mechanics were saying they had never seen this seal pop out and were considering ways to keep it from popping out again.

MarkinOly

Thanks everyone. Well, I've: 1) loosened all screws, repositioned pipes, and retightened all screws, several times, 2) looked for screws behind the "resonator" to reposition and gain some alignment advantage but found no back screws, and 3) traced the down tube to the intercooler to look for misalignment and looseness and found nothing.

During my last breakdown, I cinched the second turbo pipe to the resonator and gasket to the maximum extent possible by bending the straps out (photo 1). However, this created a gap between the first and second turbo pipes (photo 2 and 3; like borrowing from Peter to pay Paul). This gap allowed the gasket between those pipes to extrude and cause a turbo leak (photo 4).

Attachments

Last edited:

Thanks everyone. Well, I've: 1) loosened all screws, repositioned pipes, and retightened all screws, several times, 2) looked for screws behind the "resonator" to reposition and gain some alignment advantage but found no back screws, and 3) traced the down tube to the intercooler to look for misalignment and looseness and found nothing.

During my last breakdown, I cinched the second turbo pipe to the resonator and gasket to the maximum extent possible by bending the straps out (photo 1). However, this created a gap between the first and second turbo pipes (photo 2 and 3; like borrowing from Peter to pay Paul). This gap allowed the gasket between those pipes to extrude and cause a turbo leak (photo 4).
Sounds like you tired the stuff that I might. New parts may be in your future.

Is it still under warranty? Maybe some help there? vic

Top Bottom