New (almost) T1N Owner, Tire pic needed

Teutonic9

I'm a long time German car enthusiast and owner. Also work professionally in German auto repair. Not much Sprinter experience though. I'm probably buying a 140" Sprinter tomorrow and wondering about tires. I want something larger but not interested in body modifications. I've read many other posts hut haven't seen any pics of a Sprinter with 215/85/16's. Anyone able to share a pic?
Thanks!!

Oh, and thanks for all of you existing here. A wealth of info!

Teutonic9

Thanks for the link. But I didn't see any pics of a Sprinter with 215/85/16's in that thread. I hope I'm not blind?!?!

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
IMO, even my 235/86/16s are too skinny. Wish I had fatter tires as the van still feels like it pushes the fronts in corners.
How about 255/55/18 ? Wide enough for you? Here's the link to my DIY 18" rims for my Sprinter and the ensuing discussion about how stupid I was/am. If I were to do it again, I would have a machine shop do the work so the hubs are an exact fit and not floating. But I have no complaints with 30+K miles on the rims in all seasons and weights and towing scenarios and two different sized sprinters. (Full disclosure: marquimarl, a user who isn't around much anymore, had an 18" rim crack on him)
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15530&highlight=diy+audi

Also note that at the time I could only find tires with a 109 load rating, but have since found 112 load rated tires in that size- Nitto Terra Grapplers.

And Cole, just exactly how fast are you going through the turns to feel that the front tires are a bit too narrow?:wtf: Oh, and these rims won't fit the 3500 bolt pattern. Looks like you will just have to drive like an old man.... :laughing:

Edit: also note that I only had to barely trim the plastic bumper on my '03 and not on my '06. A few minutes with a box cutter/razor blade was all it needed. That front end spacer in the '04-'06 T1Ns kept me from having to make any mods on the bumper of my '06.

Last edited:

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I would have run wider if I could make them fit with the duals!

I live where the roads are very twisty.... So I like to have fun!

surlyoldbill

I stopped at Big-O yesterday to price tires. I saw they had their Bigfoot H/T in 215/85/16. When I asked about them, the desk guy asked what size tires I had now, and I made the mistake of telling him. He insisted that they "could not install narrower tires" on my van because of safety issues. I thought the 215/85 would be a good replacement, it's narrower for better traction and mpg, and a little taller, correcting the speedo but not so tall that there are clearance issues with mud and snow in the wheel well.
Tire calculator at http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Attachments

Turbo John

I'm a long time German car enthusiast and owner. Also work professionally in German auto repair. Not much Sprinter experience though. I'm probably buying a 140" Sprinter tomorrow and wondering about tires. I want something larger but not interested in body modifications. I've read many other posts hut haven't seen any pics of a Sprinter with 215/85/16's. Anyone able to share a pic?
Thanks!!

Oh, and thanks for all of you existing here. A wealth of info!
IMHO all your going to do is screw up your truck.....I have a 2004 on stock 16's and its perfect and I have had many types of big wheels on hot rods etc....The sprinter is correct with the 16 rim and will perform well.
Buy the best 16 tire you can buy and you will be happy!:cheers:

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Fwiw, I love my 235/85/16s. The stock tires made the motor scream and eat fuel at highway speeds!

The extra ground clearance has been great so far on backroads and campsites! Almost wish it had more! It has been VERY handy for parking in Colorado mountain towns that often have narrow streets and high curbs! The front and rear now clears more of these high curbs allowing me to tuck the Sprinter in smaller parking spaces!

Get lots of "thumbs up" and people who want to check out the Sprinter now. Added a lot of fun and function to the vehicle for me!

Last edited:

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
Be sure to replace your alternator to a 150 amp, carry a spare harmonic balancer (w/ key and bolts) and a litens oem serp belt tensioner and belt with you everywhere you go and inspect for black death periodically.

Top Bottom