Re: Check Engine Light on With Acceleration Down

fink1741

Hey group it seems I have another problem with my turbo system in regards of losing acceleration. As I said before I fixed the orange rubber gasket temporarily and waiting for the new part.

The problem is now, even though the plastic pipe is attached properly to Turbo housing with modified orange rubber gasket intact, I still lose 50% acceleration.
Sometimes when I start the engine up it gives me full power when I'm driving. And about every second time I start it up I get 50% acceleration. What do you think this could be from?

Thank you for all your help!

sailquik

Mike,
It's most likely still leaking the boost pressure somewhere.
When you start it, the ECM (Main engine management computer) resets everything and it runs fine until you put enough stress
on the engine that the sensors detect the boost is lower than the tolerance for the RPM and power you are asking for.
Then the ECM, based on the low boost detected by the sensor (s), shuts the turbocharger off and probably sets a CEL (Check Engine Light).
A full diagnostic scan, with the MB SDS system or the WiTech (Dodge/Chrysler) system can most likely find the boost to be low, and
codes showing the boost to be low, stored in the ECM memory.
You can keep changing parts ad infinitum.
Many of the parts you change may not be bad, but how will you know, if it does not fix your problem.
Have the MB SDS diagnostics run and the SDS system will check all the stored codes, so you can see what's been
tripping your ECM into the "no boost or limited boost" mode.
Hope this helps,
Roger

fink1741

Mike,
It's most likely still leaking the boost pressure somewhere.
When you start it, the ECM (Main engine management computer) resets everything and it runs fine until you put enough stress
on the engine that the sensors detect the boost is lower than the tolerance for the RPM and power you are asking for.
Then the ECM, based on the low boost detected by the sensor (s), shuts the turbocharger off and probably sets a CEL (Check Engine Light).
A full diagnostic scan, with the MB SDS system or the WiTech (Dodge/Chrysler) system can most likely find the boost to be low, and
codes showing the boost to be low, stored in the ECM memory.
You can keep changing parts ad infinitum.
Many of the parts you change may not be bad, but how will you know, if it does not fix your problem.
Have the MB SDS diagnostics run and the SDS system will check all the stored codes, so you can see what's been
tripping your ECM into the "no boost or limited boost" mode.
Hope this helps,
Roger
I agree with you Roger and it makes absolute sense what you said. As soon as I get the new orange rubber gasket I'm going to take the whole Turbo system apart the best I know how and reassemble to make sure all connections or secure. If I cannot resolve the issue after that I will make an appointment with my five star Dodge dealer and have them run a diagnostic.

Thanks for being there Roger, it's a big help knowing someone's on my side.

rimjaine

rimjaine

Hey group it seems I have another problem with my turbo system in regards of losing acceleration. As I said before I fixed the orange rubber gasket temporarily and waiting for the new part.

The problem is now, even though the plastic pipe is attached properly to Turbo housing with modified orange rubber gasket intact, I still lose 50% acceleration.
Sometimes when I start the engine up it gives me full power when I'm driving. And about every second time I start it up I get 50% acceleration. What do you think this could be from?

Thank you for all your help!
Sounds like it could also use a new fuel filter, I have the '05 5 cylinder 2.7 and it has had the same symptoms, it all goes away when I put new fuel filter on, I believe I'm on the third one now including the original. I've got about 59000 miles on it, fuel filters need changing quite frequently and how many miles I get on each one varies, probably because of the condition of the fuel in the tanks at the fueling stations.
Later, Jim

fink1741

Sounds like it could also use a new fuel filter, I have the '05 5 cylinder 2.7 and it has had the same symptoms, it all goes away when I put new fuel filter on, I believe I'm on the third one now including the original. I've got about 59000 miles on it, fuel filters need changing quite frequently and how many miles I get on each one varies, probably because of the condition of the fuel in the tanks at the fueling stations.
Later, Jim
Thanks but I change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles. The one I have in there now is about 1500 miles old. It also has a new air filter.

But thanks again!

showkey

When you fixed the orange gasket...........MAF, Intake temp and MAP sensors all got plugged back in........right ????

fink1741

When you fixed the orange gasket...........MAF, Intake temp and MAP sensors all got plugged back in........right ????
Yes, absolutely everything was plugged back in. Late today I'll be picking up the new orange rubber seal and tomorrow morning I will give the Turbo system a full checkup with replacement of said rubber seal. Hopefully after replacement of new rubber seal will remedy the system and check engine light will go out.

If this persists after this course of action I will make an appointment with my Dodge dealer for a full diagnostic system test.

Anyway thanks for your input it is very considerate of you to jump on board just to see if I made the plug-in connections.

Respectfully, Mike

sailquik

Mike,
Why are you going to a Dodge dealer?
They have (at best) a WiTech Diagnostic computer that has not been fully supported/updated since < 2010 when Chrysler/Dodge stopped
selling Sprinters.
Might be better to take it to an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (one specializing in commercial Sprinter repair @ commercial rates
like Sun Motor Cars in Mechanicsburg, PA).
They have the latest Mercedes Benz supported diagnostic computers and software.
An authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter Commercial dealer may be less expensive and any parts used may be less expensive as well.
Hope this helps,
Roger

fink1741

Mike,
Why are you going to a Dodge dealer?
They have (at best) a WiTech Diagnostic computer that has not been fully supported/updated since < 2010 when Chrysler/Dodge stopped
selling Sprinters.
Might be better to take it to an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (one specializing in commercial Sprinter repair @ commercial rates
like Sun Motor Cars in Mechanicsburg, PA).
They have the latest Mercedes Benz supported diagnostic computers and software.
An authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter Commercial dealer may be less expensive and any parts used may be less expensive as well.
Hope this helps,
Roger
I guess I was under false information since the Mercedes and Dodge Chrysler split and since my Sprinter is listed as a Dodge. I thought my only option was a Dodge dealer. Now that I have this new information from you I will surely and rather go to a Mercedes dealer. Since Mechanicsburg is not all that far away I would probably make a day of it and visit Son Motors. Of course, before I make my appointment with them I would make sure they have a healthy inventory of Turbo parts.

Thanks again Roger for being there and I'll let you know how everything turns out tomorrow after I install my new rubber orange seal.

Thanks again!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

I guess I was under false information since the Mercedes and Dodge Chrysler split and since my Sprinter is listed as a Dodge. I thought my only option was a Dodge dealer. Now that I have this new information from you I will surely and rather go to a Mercedes dealer. Since Mechanicsburg is not all that far away I would probably make a day of it and visit Son Motors. Of course, before I make my appointment with them I would make sure they have a healthy inventory of Turbo parts.

Thanks again Roger for being there and I'll let you know how everything turns out tomorrow after I install my new rubber orange seal.

Thanks again!
Call the dealership first. Some dealerships have turned pre-2010 Sprinters away. Best to know before you go.

-Jon

fink1741

I replaced the orange rubber seal today but the check engine light remains on. One thing I forgot to mention to the group is that I get a low pitch humming noise when I have 50% less power.

Let me go over this in detail.
First of all the black plastic pipe that goes from the air breather to the Turbo intake has always been connected even with the broken rubber seal. With that said, about every second time I start the engine I have 50% less power but always noticed this low pitch humming noise. Whenever I start the engine up and there's no low pitch humming noise I always have 100% full power. Now today when I installed the new orange rubber seal on the Turbo intake I noticed when starting the engine the low pitch humming noise was present. Even though I noticed the noise was coming from the driver's side of the engine it was even more noisier when I put my ear near the exhaust pipe at the back of the Sprinter.

So my question is, does anybody know what is creating this low pitch humming noise and if so is there a part I can replace on my own?

It's also very funny that this low pitched noise all started when the orange rubber seal broke and air breather pipe came off Turbo intake. Just so I say this now, when the orange rubber seal broke/cracked it was completely intact and there was no chance any of the broken pieces from the seal entered the Turbo. Thanks again and I hope you know what it is.

Top Bottom