Sometimes no reverse !

Kunama

Hi one and all,
I've been reading the forum furiously for some time while deciding what to buy ........... like most forums, there seems to be a wealth of knowledge ......
I now have a 2008 NVC3 "Transfer" (315CDI) MWB High Roof 12 seater. It seems perfect except that twice when parked with the car on a moderately steep downhill, selecting Reverse resulted in no movement.

Could the ATF level be the culprit? Is there a fluid level sensor at the rear of the transmission that may be sending a signal of too little fluid?

Have not had it to the mechanic yet but will do so next week.

Cheers,
Matt

Is this only right after a cold start, or anytime?

My '12 does something similar when stone cold...has since new. I say similar because it is not limited to reverse. It is more like the torque converter does not want to start locking up at the usual RPM, making it slow to non-moving when trying to initiate movement up a significant grade. This goes away within a couple minutes and everything behaves normally after that.

3mbusa

Our 2012 Mercedes 3500 has done this from day one; and in real cold weather I have to let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes. The dealer says this is quite common for some Sprinters, but not all of them -- I guess we are just the lucky ones. :rolleyes:

Kunama

Thanks for the replies, this has only happened twice, both times it was with the vehicle parked facing downhill and a cold start.
If parked on the flat or facing uphill this has not occurred.
I will try the same location but with a longer warm up.
Cheers,
Matt

Mrdi

Happened to me in the 2008.
Parked for lunch after a long driving morning.
Restarted after an hour, selected reverse and got revs but no gear.
Moved back to park then reverse, just revs.
Third time it engaged.

Top Bottom