Newbie needs help

TimJuhl

I'm looking to buy a Sprinter cargo van and turn it into a travel van. I've looked at a new 170 inch high roof 2500 and am going to go look at a used 2006 158 inch 3500 high roof (diesel) next week. I'm not sure if they were standard but the 3500 has dual rear tires on each side. One reason I'm looking at the 2006 van is that the earlier Sprinters are reputed to get better mileage, not to mention the lower purchase cost. What I'd like to know is:
1.) Does the 2006 3500 get mileage in the lower to mid-20's as I've heard the 2500's do?
2.) Assuming the van appears to be in good condition and runs OK are there any potential problem areas that I should take a look at while inspecting the van? The van has a little over 30000 miles on it.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. From what I've read on this discussion group there are some talented and helpful people participating which is a big plus for a guy like me who is looking to jump into something new and unfamiliar.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

At 30,000 miles, you need to figure on doing some preventive maintenance. Change oil, fuel filter, probably the air filter. Get some Koni rear shocks and the larger sway bar. The suspension upgrades are available from Upscale Automotive. Do a search for insulation, interior lighting, a better sound system, electrical upgrades. Some of the owner upgrades include radiant floor heat, cooking appliances, showers. Upgrades can be very elaborate or very simple. I saw a van that had $100,000.00 in custom features. The Sea of Grass van is a work of wonder, even using marble on the bathroom floor. This board is the best for Sprinter stuff, there is also the Yahoo board.

Have fun and think of all the new cool tools you can now justify.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Welcome Tim,

MPG will depend which engine and transmission it is fitted with.

I also have a 158" 3500 (known as 416 here in UK). It has the five cylinder engine with semi-auto 'box. I typically get 27/28mpg out of it - imperial gallons though. That's varied use and loads.

30,000 miles is hardly any use at all (mine's done x25 that mileage).

They're pretty tough!

Simon

Last edited:

kurt

At 30,000 miles, you need to figure on doing some preventive maintenance. Change oil, fuel filter, probably the air filter. Get some Koni rear shocks and the larger sway bar. The suspension upgrades are available from Upscale Automotive. Do a search for insulation, interior lighting, a better sound system, electrical upgrades. Some of the owner upgrades include radiant floor heat, cooking appliances, showers. Upgrades can be very elaborate or very simple. I saw a van that had $100,000.00 in custom features. The Sea of Grass van is a work of wonder, even using marble on the bathroom floor. This board is the best for Sprinter stuff, there is also the Yahoo board.

Have fun and think of all the new cool tools you can now justify.
My experience with Upscale Automotive Tualatin,Oregon.

At 55K transmission oil and filter change.

2 of 6 oilpan retainers loose,2 completely missing.

2 rectangular rubber torque converter covers completely missing (access to torque converter drain plug)

Made 3 trips and 4hr on the road including $30 of diesel to retrieve all missing parts.

The arrogant bitch behind the counter "ACT OF GOD" not their foult.

Never got compensated for all my expenses.

Recently,at 100K I executed transmission oil and filter change myself and discovert oilpan magnet donut also missing.

If you like getting screwed for your mony and with shady workmanship take you Sprinter to Upscale Automotive in Tualatin,Oregon.

Friday, my 2005 2500 SHC goes to the shop for a trailer hitch, brake control, & wiring. I will also get front rotors and a fuel filter for the 2003. Easy service goes to a local shop, Sprinter specific service is done by Upscale Automotive. I have dealt with them several times in the past and found them to be professional, not cheap, but very knowledgeable about Sprinters.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
2003 2500 140 SHC
2005 2500 158 SHC

Top Bottom