08 Sprinter 3500 P2355 Code

NHRA21

08 Sprinter 3500 with 175,000 on the engine and about 35,000 miles on the engine. Had the A/C compressor replaced a couple of days ago due to a failed clutch bearing. Replaced the cat temp sensor yesterday. Started up like normal today and pulled out into traffic. Rolled into the throttle. She started to accelerate and then it fell on its face. It would barely move. Got it back into the driveway finally. No check engine light at this point. Shut it off and restarted it and the light came on. Used my phone and Torque to pull P0402 and P0544 codes. I believe the P0544 was there yesterday, so I cleared both codes, but no joy. I went home and grabbed my SnapOn Solus Pro and it came up with the P2355 code and that is all that remains at this point. I can't see any broken hoses and when the engine is shut off I can hear the EGR valve moving for its "cleaning" cycle. The engine idles great, there is just no power. Any ideas?

NHRA21

Dennis,
I am connecting to the OBDII port in the fuse box.
My bad. This one is a Solus Ultra. The last one was a Solus Pro. I loose track. As far as I know, it does not use keys. It is running software 14.2

NHRA21

Update: I pulled the EGR valve and did a key on/key off cycle. I watched the valve cycle open and closed. Looks like it is working correctly. Anyone know what is sensing the excessive flow?

showkey

I do not think just movement of the valve means very much as far as function and codes.

There is an EGR position sensor built in.......if the commanded position is not the same as the measure EGR position a code will result.

Random sticking or just slow to get to a commanded position will cause a code. And of course low flow due to carbon can be Problems you asked.
EGR flow is usually measured or judged by combination of throttle position, MAP and MAF sensors. Many manufactures test the EGR during decel throttle closed........ECU commands the EGR open a specific amount and look at the appropriate MAP valve change. Not 100 % sure MB methods.

NHRA21

Showkey-
If i remember correctly, P2355 is a flow rate error. Wouldn't I get a position error code if commanded position was not being met?

showkey

Showkey-
If i remember correctly, P2355 is a flow rate error. Wouldn't I get a position error code if commanded position was not being met?

Maybe...........sometimes these EGR problems do not report the code exactly........as one might expect:idunno::idunno: but the codes can be interrelated especially if problem is just at the threshold or intermittent.

Many have reported no light, no code but the EGR was the cause of the drivability concern. Or it has a stored code and no check engine light.

Then there is the problem that some code readers do not "talk to" MB nicely.

Last edited:

showkey

Did you clean the EGR cooler ?

Did the code clear ? Was the CEL out for a while ?

Is the same code present now ?

NHRA21

I did not clean the cooler as I did not have the gaskets for it and the error code said too much flow.
The code has cleared each time, but it normally comes back. CEL was out when I left, but I did not hang out very long after the new valve did not work. :banghead:
I will check again in the morning before the van leaves on a flatbed.

NHRA21

Well, the verdict is in. It was the Mass Air Sensor. Our dealer said that they are the other issue these develop. Runs like a champ now!

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Glad you found it.

As anyone who has done much diagnostics of modern vehicles will know, a fault code is only a clue and does not necessarily point at the component actually causing the problem. I'll bet that 75% of all O2 sensors replaced solely due to an O2 sensor code are probably good. ;)

Top Bottom