Certified Car Care, San Diego, CA (Service)

Rating

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Average

• Fair

• Poor

• Total voters

Get Directions

Certified Car Care
8360 Miramar Place
San Diego, CA 92121

Phone Number(s): 858-552-7860
Email: Dave@certifiedcarcare.net

http://certifiedcarcare.net/

Information: We are located near Interstate 805 and Miramar Rd.. Our trained Sprinter van technicians will ensure the job is done fast and right the first time.

Common Sprinter Service:
Tune-up
Engine Diagnostics
Oil Changes
Tire Balance and Rotation
Brake Services
Climate Control and A/C

:cheers:

bk1952

BEWARE...Had my 2003 Sprinter 2500 serviced there, trans service, fuel filter change and coolant flush. When I went to pick up my Sprinter I had to wait for a couple of hours while their so called sprinter mechanics tried to get it restarted. They were running around with their heads cut off, calling the guy where they got fuel filter from to check to see if it was the right one, as far as I know there's only one for the that model year. They then proceeded to go through all the electronics to see if that was the problem and had to call their parts supplier to find out where the fuel relay was located. Now I knew I was in big time trouble and they turned their attention to me, asking me if I fueled it up yesterday and what the wire from the battery was that leads to the auxiliary battery. At one time they had all four people in the shop uselessly looking at it. I finally asked the owner if the guy working on it if he primed the fuel filter, and he said yeah yeah they did all that. Now they tell me they have to have it over night so they can figure out what's going on. I'm in a panic trying to figure a way to get my car out of there. I walked away wondering just what else they screwed up. I get a call as I'm waiting for my wife down the street from the shop, because I couldn't take watching them anymore and they tell me they got it running. The problem was the guy working on it didn't prime the filter and tried to start it causing a vacuum block. I think trained Sprinter mechanics would know how to change fluids on a Sprinter. Now I worry if the transmission was serviced right because when I look where the dip stick goes the plug that covers it is broken because they used something to pry it off. So AVOID and I can't stress this enough AVOID this place.

lindenengineering

BEWARE...Had my 2003 Sprinter 2500 serviced there, trans service, fuel filter change and coolant flush. When I went to pick up my Sprinter I had to wait for a couple of hours while their so called sprinter mechanics tried to get it restarted. They were running around with their heads cut off, calling the guy where they got fuel filter from to check to see if it was the right one, as far as I know there's only one for the that model year. They then proceeded to go through all the electronics to see if that was the problem and had to call their parts supplier to find out where the fuel relay was located. Now I knew I was in big time trouble and they turned their attention to me, asking me if I fueled it up yesterday and what the wire from the battery was that leads to the auxiliary battery. At one time they had all four people in the shop uselessly looking at it. I finally asked the owner if the guy working on it if he primed the fuel filter, and he said yeah yeah they did all that. Now they tell me they have to have it over night so they can figure out what's going on. I'm in a panic trying to figure a way to get my car out of there. I walked away wondering just what else they screwed up. I get a call as I'm waiting for my wife down the street from the shop, because I couldn't take watching them anymore and they tell me they got it running. The problem was the guy working on it didn't prime the filter and tried to start it causing a vacuum block. I think trained Sprinter mechanics would know how to change fluids on a Sprinter. Now I worry if the transmission was serviced right because when I look where the dip stick goes the plug that covers it is broken because they used something to pry it off. So AVOID and I can't stress this enough AVOID this place.
As a shop owner (and I am not defending shoddy work) as they say "crap happens"!
In many cases guys won't follow procedures and do things that are against shop practices.
In some cases I let it go , then on the other hand I have fired techs for doing their own thing, especially having been given clear cut instructions on what is needed to be done. Instead however they do their own thing--its a microcosm of America. "Doing your own thing".

Once when I first worked here for a big US bus making corporation I heard the expression I had never heard before!
"Guys can we get with the program"

"Hmm a curious American expression!":thinking:

I didn't quite get it at first, but after 6 months providing tech bus service support across the USA I got it all right!--- Oh I got it alright! :laughing: An apt expression!:thumbup:

In England we have an expression for it! The biggest "expletive" screw up since Dunkirk!--Nowadays when they hear "Good Morning Vietnam" they know I am on the warpath about screws ups!

I get accused of micro-managing jobs but I find unless I keep strict vigilance on what going on things go sideways!
Simply put Jim will be Jim, Fred will be Fred and Art will artfully do crap work unless you are right behind his backside.

I even have had mechanics who purposefully have set out to do a crap job on a customer's vehicle so that they can get fired and claim unemployment!

As with most small businesses like Certified the buck stops at the owner's desk.
Instead of complaining publicly (which is justified) have you passed your concerns to the owner?

This happens in all sectors of many service enterprises including the medical field.
In that environment of course you don't get to see procedures, and the system closes ranks on screw ups!
Believe me even in that area there are monumental screw ups too!
It explains in part again why the USA doesn't get the health care it needs in spite of paying double what other industrialized countries "enjoy".

The other area of inconceivable poor service and quality is the food industry. Poop dressed up as pudding!
I once went to a chain Italian restaurant with my family and I selected "Chicken Parmigiana".
What I got was pre-prepared breadcrumbed chicken by a well known grocery food chain well bathed in Parma grated cheese quickly whacked under the heat lamp then bathed in olive oil!l
Yuk!
In short a total crap and not worth 25 bucks a platter!
Disgusted I went straight into the kitchen "a la mode Francais", and told the manager and guys in charge of the cooking this is crap & "how dare you foist this on the unsuspecting public"!

The manager asked me if I was a chef? ---No professional diesel mechanic!:lol:

My advise is to pick the phone up and vent your concerns!
If the response is negative then its worthy of a follow up post.
If on the other hand the business owner values your business he /she will do whatever it takes to gain you confidence and make you a repeat happy customer.
Let us know how you get on.
Dennis

lindenengineering

Hey Al
D'day!
I liked you photos of the NSW coast line and the Emu's ! I was looking for Rod lurking in the undergrowth mate!
You remember him doncha?

Look as I see it (maybe I am wrong) but when you go to a repair shop it should be a repair experience in a nice way. Basically the same as going to a restaurant a nice dining experience is expected .
Nevertheless things go sideways (get crooked) like Fawlty Towers .
As an owner /manager of a business its how you handle it that counts.
As the customer you can act like a petulant child or be cool and as a guy in his 60's I tend to keep my dignified cool read "stoic Brit" when crap hits the fan.
You know there is a catering program on US TV called Hells Kitchen.

The head chef is a Brit and I can personify myself with this poor sod just trying to present a perfectly cooked plate of food to a customer.

Cooking is like fixing vehicles its an art!
Watch this and you will see what I mean!
Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJx50u75tBU

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
I was looking for Rod lurking in the undergrowth mate!
You remember him doncha?
Rod Who? :idunno:

I got as far as seeing Ramsey and turned it off, there are ways and there are ways, I prefer the cool calm collected way myself, if that fails then all hell breaks loose.......:laughing:

bk1952

UPDATE: They didn't service the trans as asked, did a flush, and they put back on the old fuel filter instead of new. I am trying to warn people of poor service and I get hammered by these guys that have commented. I love it when people are not mechanic's but play them on internet pimping their own so called service. Think people what are the qualification of some of these people posting as independent qualified Sprinter repair facilities? Learning diesel in you fathers backyard does not qualify you. Like I said they are not a "MECHANIC'" but they play them on the internet.....

Last edited:

lindenengineering

BK
That is sad to read.:thumbdown:
Frankly I am a bit taken a back but did you confront the owner about your concerns?

This type of post makes me very concerned because I strive to give MY customers a good servcie experience simply because I want repeat business AND my name and reputation are at stake.
Concerned & Disgusted in Denver
Dennis
ps I am even tempted to pick the phone up and call the owner--It hasn't been the first time believe me. FFS

riskydnb

UPDATE: They didn't service the trans as asked, did a flush, and they put back on the old fuel filter instead of new. I am trying to warn people of poor service and I get hammered by these guys that have commented. I love it when people are not mechanic's but play them on internet pimping their own so called service. Think people what are the qualification of some of these people posting as independent qualified Sprinter repair facilities? Learning diesel in you fathers backyard does not qualify you. Like I said they are not a "MECHANIC'" but they play them on the internet.....
I have a sprinter mechanic in van nuys and in lake elsinore that are better than some mercedes sprinter mechanics, I also have a distribution warehouse in San Diego where I get German parts from which are very inexpensive (and its not Europarts, although they are the same parts europarts gets I just charge less) So if you are interested in their phone numbers text me @ 760-622-0148 -Randy

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
It hasn't been the first time believe me. FFS
A man after my own heart .:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I contacted a seller of a sprinter that they had for sale on ebay just last week, they said that after having the injectors replaced the gearbox was now buggered, all they can get is 1st and 2nd gear and they cant afford to spend anymore money on it.

I pointed him to this forum and left my number, he rang to find out how/why it went into the limp mode I told him his van was in.

I told him to get the sprinter away from the mechanic that done the work as soon as possible and take it to a Mercedes/sprinter mechanic that has the appropriate scanner etc.

lindenengineering

Toothfairy
Al, hello mate.
Its not just Sprinters!

We fix Prius' in my shop & in spite of all the negative Pious comments they are good little cars.
I had one in yesterday. The lady owner looking for a second opinion, scared after it had been in a shop (a so called Prius Hybrid Expert) , where the quote was to replace the transaxle and inverter @ $6000 because it was shutting down the Hybrid system.
The car is a 2002 Gen 1 unit & I bet its worth about $3000 tops!

In fact the only issue with it was the coolant pump which cools the inverter. You don't even need a scanner to verify its working. All you have to do is lift the coolant tank cap for the inverter to see circulation of coolant with the ignition on! Cost to fix about $300 parts and labour. This is a fairly common issue after about 180,00 miles and gets mis-diagnosed like the Sprinter turbo resonator.

And as for transmissions or transaxle in this case a few months ago I had a bloke call me about a shop repairing his transmission for a graunching noise coming out of it.
I diagnosed it over the phone as a likely cush drive failure between engine and transaxle.

They (shop) diagnosed it as a failed transaxle input bearing and were fixing it. I thought well unless you have the factory Aisin assembly tools you cannot change out the bearing because you will mess up the synchronization of the the two traction motors in the case with the engine input. (One has a sine wave signal and one has a cosine signal that has to be in perfect time so that the TCM/PCM can read it!)

Well it came in on the hook with the herky jerkies and a shut down and the graunching noise still there! I bought it for $500, the owner having lost total confidence in it after spending $1500 at a shop that didn't know what they were doing. In this case I had to fit a cush drive plate and a used transaxle (the original was probably fine) and its been scudding about as a shop car ever since. I reckon it could have been repaired for about 800 bucks before these lunatic knowalls had got their hands on it!
Happens every day!
That's why there are lots of attorneys driving E classes in the USA, paid for by people fixing cars that shouldn't be!
Dennis

bk1952

I've talked with the one of the owner's and he with the other one was part of the other four trying to get it to start. He states that everything is done to specs. I went to MB San Diego to pickup some part's and I passed by their Sprinter repair facility and there were eleven Sprinters there for service in their beautiful facility. I'm thinking I'll pay the difference and have thing's done right and not deal with backyard mechanics.

lindenengineering

I've talked with the one of the owner's and he with the other one was part of the other four trying to get it to start. He states that everything is done to specs. I went to MB San Diego to pickup some part's and I passed by their Sprinter repair facility and there were eleven Sprinters there for service in their beautiful facility. I'm thinking I'll pay the difference and have thing's done right and not deal with backyard mechanics.
BK
OK,
Just remember beautiful facilities don't always equate to beautiful repairs & service.

This 5 star sort of stuff has to be paid for you know and its refelcted in the hourly charge out rate.
Dennis

BK1952,

Sorry to hear that our service wasn't up to par. We have done a little revamping in training, I hope that in the future you might be willing to work with us again. We have started working with a company that has better diagnostic tools.

Dave
Certified Car Care

Last edited:
Certified Car Care has undergone an ownership change; our techs are ASE Certified. If you walk into our garage now you will immediately meet Dave and Savanna. If you feel uncomfortable at anytime please don't be afraid to ask about our technicians certifications, they will gladly show you. It is our pleasure to ensure customer satisfaction. If you have any issues with any of our services please don’t be afraid to inform us, we will work with you to figure out the issue. We warrantee our services, and we will personally pay extra to have your sprinter diagnosed correctly.

Dave
Dave@certifiedcarcare.net
858-552-7860

lindenengineering

This place is sheisty. Great mechanics, but the owner is slime
Interesting comment.
As a shop owner I would like you to expound on that statement. If you can!?
Often mannerisms and customer approach can at times rub the customer up the wrong way especially in difficult situations.!

I have several salient situation which I can expand upon.
At my brother's shop in the UK I stood in for him once upon a time on the customer end .
Now I have an "Am-twist" these days on my West Country dialect that sounds I suppose Trans Atlantic to some.
One customer took great exception about have "effing Yanks" working on his Jag!
I hate Yanks, arrogant pushy bastards came down the phone line amongst the verbal assault !! Totally unprovoked! Left me wondering about my fellow country folk ! :hmmm:

Only the other week my service writer who quit last Thursday (phew! Relief in retrospect) was a bit too off hand with a new Range Rover customer. Although we only did a routine service "something " must have left him with a bout of built up anger!:hmmm:
Boiled down communication was the root cause !!!

I came into the shop on Monday to a delightful Sunday phone recording with enough derogatory curses and "F Bombs" to last me at least for this week gone! :laughing:
I suppose he ought to find a job with the Trump Admin--he'd do well!:laughing:
(But not in the Diplomatic Corps !!!)

In any case I know getting a vehicle repaired is often a chore, but in most cases customers and shop reception can be a pleasant experience on both levels.:thumbup:

As a closer!
I had a new lady 2006 Sprinter owner for some service work last week . During the repair we discussed the merits of 19th century English and American novelists . Being a school teacher in SoCal and a Grad from the prestigious UK University as an exchange student; we had a very deep scholarly discussion about which writers could compose the most humanistic scripts in the famous ancient Greek mode of tragedy!
I did bung in the discussion one French writer and his Chateau D'If however !!!
--as an example of novelist script in a revenge plot "revenge"!
Revenge best left to novels NOT to repair shops!! :laughing:
Hence going to a shop shouldn't ,necessarily end up as a tragedy ! :lol:
Dennis
Mechanic & Shop Owner

Top Bottom