manual transmission swap available

5 and 6 speed manual transmission swaps now available for your T1N sprinters. Cost 5k includes installation.
Parts required-
Manual transmission
Shifter
Shifter cables
Driveline extension
Transmission support
Master cylinder
Hydraulic hoses
Clutch pedal tie nut
Flywheel
Adding extra wiring for the manual tranny
Reprogramming esp/abs, engine ecu

Anyone interested ?
NCV3 manual transmissions will also be available in the near future.

1. We can do both 6 speed and 5 speed.
2. Just one done so far. (For a friend he delivers bees on a flat bed sprinter with a trailer from Oregon to California he burns through 1 automatic transmission every 1 to 2 years)
3. 6 speed will give you fuel economy, 5 speed have been known to run well over 500k. And you can finally put just about any differential ratio in to get even lower rpms at highway speeds or more torque. (Bypasses transmission speed sensors for incorrect gear ratio codes)

Turbo John

What is the 6 speed ratios? And which trans is it?

Is the 6 speed a double overdrive? Are the clutch pedals custom or used from another source?

I am interested but would need more information and pictures are always nice! :thumbup:

Thanks

What is the 6 speed ratios? And which trans is it?

Is the 6 speed a double overdrive? Are the clutch pedals custom or used from another source?

I am interested but would need more information and pictures are always nice! :thumbup:

Thanks
Hi sorry was out of town here are the parts and some pictures.
Dont have the gear ratios for the tranny here is the part number a2112614008 it is used on euro sprinters. The clutch disk and fly wheel are available at the dealer, if ever needed. Clutch pedals are also from a euro sprinter.

Attachments

lindenengineering

Being in this business and transport for too many years now, the same questions always come up on conversions such as this.
So to be blunt and not dance about the subject Questions
I) Total cost with tax out the door.
2) If you do it, the turn around time. Turn key?
3) Transmission unit as a complete unit available in the USA?
4) Parts availability in the USA should it fail.
5) Are these units new or used
6) Can this unit be repaired across the country by Independent shops and will dealers work on it since it will not be to Vin Spec?
7) Are special tools required to repair it?
8) What is the warranty on an install/conversion
9) Do you have a tech support network across the country to support the conversion should prospective customers have problems with it?
10) Are your install techs/mechanics suitably qualified to modify vehicles?
Dennis

Turbo John

I think they OP was just trying to offer up something unique.......he is not going to be that involved with the questions just asked....there is not that kind of market and profit.

I do like the idea and anybody doing it should know the risks involved.:hmmm:

Blue2500

I am interested, but would need more info.
I have been wanting to do two conversions on my van since I bought it. Manual transmission and rear air suspension. Both very expensive (time and money) to DIY and almost impossible to afford to have done for you.

Let alone I am not often one to let/pay someone to work on my vehicles. So when I do I like to see work done well and with pride.

I really appreciate that this is being offered as an option. I would also like to see it offered in kit form since I live far enough away, and don't have the time to spend while the work is done.

But mostly I would like to know more about Custom MB Sprinters so me and the my wife (who must approve $) could have confidence in spending $5K on the Sprinter.

So thank you for making this available. I hope to see that it is something I would be excited to have done, and worth the expense.

lindenengineering

I think they OP was just trying to offer up something unique.......he is not going to be that involved with the questions just asked....there is not that kind of market and profit.

I do like the idea and anybody doing it should know the risks involved.:hmmm:
Turbo John
That sounds like a senior sales rep for Landrover in Kuwait during the mid 1980's !:rolleyes:
Being from the heavy diesel side of the company's (B/L) Truck and Bus Div engineering support for the region and my then favourite place Iraq. I asked this hauty individual how much it was to buy a Range Rover in Kuwait and the Kahlige (Gulf); Toyota was selling Land Cruisers like hot cakes to all the Arab riff raff!

Pressing the bloke he said "Well we promote uniqueness and never disclose the price until we have finished the negotiations"!

Actually we are preserving the intrinsic exclusivity of the marque!
Selling to a select few!

I remember retorting what a lot of bollocks!
My posture is to get the price to a point where they all want one even the riff raff !

To which he replied Well now Mr Williams you are sounding like one of those disgusting people who come from the USA !:lol:
To which I quipped Eff Auwf Mate in best West of England truckers tongue!
Stop dancing the "sugar plum fairy" on pricing and I have a lot of good friends from the USA!
That ended the discussion!:laughing:
Dennis
P.S
Over dinner with all us smelly diesel types I asked what is the definition of a nano second?
Our LR sales man went into along winded explanation--To which I said nah mate you got it all wrong---its the time it takes for an Arab to blow the horn once the lights have turned green!
D

Being in this business and transport for too many years now, the same questions always come up on conversions such as this.
So to be blunt and not dance about the subject Questions
I) Total cost with tax out the door.
2) If you do it, the turn around time. Turn key?
3) Transmission unit as a complete unit available in the USA?
4) Parts availability in the USA should it fail.
5) Are these units new or used
6) Can this unit be repaired across the country by Independent shops and will dealers work on it since it will not be to Vin Spec?
7) Are special tools required to repair it?
8) What is the warranty on an install/conversion
9) Do you have a tech support network across the country to support the conversion should prospective customers have problems with it?
10) Are your install techs/mechanics suitably qualified to modify vehicles?
Dennis
1. At this point 5k out the door (no sales tax in Oregon)
2. The prototype took 2 and a half weeks. So that's the max should be less in the future.
3. No the transmissions are not available in the USA.
4. We have been cross referencing the part # at the dealer to see what's available in the states. So far clutch disc sets available, and clutch pedals. (We are going to stock all the parts if not we can get it from the same source we are getting the trannys from.)
5. Transmissions are used ( exception of clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel these are new)
6. Any independent shop that works on manual transmissions "SHOULD" be able to service the transmission. (The dealer we talked to will not. Not to say none of them won't. It is similar to a c class manual transmission)
7. No specials tools required.
8. 1 year or 100k whichever comes first.
9. We don't have a tech support network. But you are more then welcome to call to get tech support.
10. We have been working with sprinters for over 10 years now. ( Not as qualified as some, but more qualified then others?) :hmmm:

The first sprinter was all slice and dice with no pictures. The next one will have detailed instructions and pictures.

shifter location?
Shifter is in the same place as the automatic. Had to use shifter cables from a English sprinter. Their shifters are on the right side making the cables long enough for the conversion. ( there is a difference in the paneling auto/manual us/euro)

Last edited:

Boater

I'm kind of wondering why the clutch is stocked if there are no factory built manual Sprinters in the US to fit it to?
Is it just remarkable coincidence that C-class uses the same clutch with a different transmission?

Pretty lucky - different years of my car (GM not MB) use the same engine and transmission with a different flywheel and clutch, yes I have recently tried fitting the wrong clutch due to a glitch in the suppliers database!

I think it is encouraging that you have managed to work out how to do this.

the brit

Any follow up on this? I've been trying to find your business online to ask about your ECU reprogramming - do you have a website/shop number etc? I'm finally taking my T1N off this road to do the manual conversion this winter (I'm on the East Coast), and would love to discuss having my existing ECU programmed instead of switching to a European one with all that entails.

NYC SPRINTERS

I MUST BE DREAMING:) WHY IS THIS HAPPENING NOW WHEN I DON'T HAVE MY SPRINTER??? NOW I MUST FIND ME A NICE 158 passenger sprinter for a good price and drive the dam thing to Oregon so you guys can do this!!! Please pm your info and phone number!!!

NYC SPRINTERS

When will you finish your next build? i would love to see the pictures or video would be much better seeing a sprinter in USA driving and someone shifting gears!!!

long1pham

Any follow up on this? I've been trying to find your business online to ask about your ECU reprogramming - do you have a website/shop number etc? I'm finally taking my T1N off this road to do the manual conversion this winter (I'm on the East Coast), and would love to discuss having my existing ECU programmed instead of switching to a European one with all that entails.
I have a 2002 Sprinter with 300K miles in DC area that I plan to converse to 6 speed manual transmission in the future. It appears that you may be doing this ahead of me. If you are near by, I would like to make arrangement so that we can exchange information or offering a helping hand when needed. Long1pham@aol.com/949-500-9887

Top Bottom