Anyone with air bag suspension helpers

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
If you have the air bag suspension boosters on your RV, please tell how frequently you adjust the air pressure.

I'm thinking of adding the air bags and am wondering if I need the pump and gauges and inside controller or if I can just have the air inflation valve outside so I can fill or release air as desired.

It seems to me that you might have air pressure in the bags at one level when you are using your van as your daily driver and a different level when you are actually on a camping trip or traveling.

Please offer your experience.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Hey Bill...

I have a set on my Pickup/Cabber (great fix for the low riding/rear steering!). I started with just the bags, since they wanted more for the compressor/guages than the bags, and was only willing to pay a little more than my previous choice of helper springs. I'm been touring on them for over 1 1/2 years. I've not had to adjust the air since after the initial first 2 weeks of figuring out the best ride. The weight of my setup only fluctuates a few hundred pounds, but I could see anyone who has loads and no-loads on a consistant basis needing the 'convenience' of the compressor to adjust the air. My pickup was unloaded and all the stuff placed into the (rear door damaged!) sprinter, and I immediately had to release 40lbs of air since my rear shocks were fully extended! Hope this helps...

mbcruiser

05 Sprinter/06 MB Cruiser
I installed the Rear Air Lift Super Duty Kit & Load Controller II (ordered from truckspring.com - excellent & prompt service) more than a year ago, and realized the improvement. The controller is installed below the passenger seat, so it's out of sight, and otherwise protected.

In hindsight, I'd probably pass on the controller unit, since the air lift bags seem to hold air pressure for a very long time.

In the winter, it needed a little air (from a previously set 30 psi it dropped to upper teens over a 4 month period), but otherwise, having access to an outside valve for external filling would have saved me a few bucks.

The only real pluses of the controller are convenience and that it automatically senses when air pressure is below 5 psi: then it gives the system a few breaths to keep it at the 5 psi minimum. Mine has never gotten that low, so I only have to believe that it works.
The controller does have a valve that allows excess psi's to be readily purged from the system if need be.

A friend has a Class B (not Sprinter based) with the manual fill setup, and he rarely has to supplement the system.

For info, the best ride seems to come around 30 psi as far as I can tell. But I'm open to other suggestions. :hmmm: :hmmm:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
Bill, I have the optional rear air bag system offered by LTV, what is it, Firestone or something like that? I'd have to go out and look to be sure. The control is mounted on the ceiling just above the dome light. The compressor is mounted under the hood.

I bought my LTV from the first owner who ordered the van with the air bag system. I've had it for 2-1/2 years and almost 30,000 miles. Frankly, I would not order one if I were buying a new RV. I have fooled around with the air pressure, anywhere from 35 psi to over 100 psi, and cannot tell the difference in handling. I keep it around 80 psi because that seems like a logical number, and I can't remember the last time I had to adjust it.

My load is almost constant and really only varies by the amount of fuel, fresh water and waste water I'm carrying. I do pull a variety of trailers fairly often, and have not noticed any difference because of the air bags.

If I were investing the money, I'd much rather have the larger rear sway bar.

N2XBW

And another thing...
Sprintophiles,
I have Air Lift bags [w/controller] on my plain ol' 2500 passenger van. :idunno: My passengers seem to enjoy the ride better since installation, and I find that about 20lbs of pressure is most comfortable for them. With a heavier load I up it 10lbs., and empty I cut it to 15.
John / N2XBW

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
My 05 PleasureWay on 04 Sprinter came with manual-inflating air bags. I ordered and installed compressor and controls near driver's left knee. My main reason for ordering the compressor and control is for the about 1 inch raising or lowering of the rear for minor leveling problems when stopping for the night. As far as handling, I can't tell what benefits it provides since I always travel with them inflated to around 55 pounds as PleasureWay recommends... Al

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
My 05 PleasureWay on 04 Sprinter came with manual-inflating air bags. I ordered and installed compressor and controls near driver's left knee. My main reason for ordering the compressor and control is for the about 1 inch raising or lowering of the rear for minor leveling problems when stopping for the night. As far as handling, I can't tell what benefits it provides since I always travel with them inflated to around 55 pounds as PleasureWay recommends... Al
Hey Al.... I sent you a PM

KL2BE

Bill, I have the optional rear air bag system offered by LTV, what is it, Firestone or something like that? I'd have to go out and look to be sure. The control is mounted on the ceiling just above the dome light. The compressor is mounted under the hood.

I bought my LTV from the first owner who ordered the van with the air bag system. I've had it for 2-1/2 years and almost 30,000 miles. Frankly, I would not order one if I were buying a new RV. I have fooled around with the air pressure, anywhere from 35 psi to over 100 psi, and cannot tell the difference in handling. I keep it around 80 psi because that seems like a logical number, and I can't remember the last time I had to adjust it.

My load is almost constant and really only varies by the amount of fuel, fresh water and waste water I'm carrying. I do pull a variety of trailers fairly often, and have not noticed any difference because of the air bags.

If I were investing the money, I'd much rather have the larger rear sway bar.

I agree with Don!
Our '07 Free Spirit ('06 chassis) came from LTV with Firestone air bags. In traveling from point of delivery (Minneapolis) to Oregon via CO, AZ and CA I found NO observable change in ride or handling regardless of setting. (but to answer your question specifically, I use 70-90 lbs. and find that they need additional air every couple months)
In Oregon I added an oversized sway-bar and rear Konis (from Upscale Automotive) and observed BIG improvements:rad:!!! From Oregon to Alaska the ride and handling were 100 % better:thumbup:.
Of course, while Firestone air-bags do NOTHING for the Sprinter's handling deficiencies; booster springs for heavy loads are a different issue than handling and ride. If I thought I needed a higher (or adjustable) spring rate, I would shop at Upscale Automotive for a better solution than the Firestones.

PeteInLongBeach

I have fooled around with the air pressure, anywhere from 35 psi to over 100 psi, and cannot tell the difference in handling. I keep it around 80 psi because that seems like a logical number, and I can't remember the last time I had to adjust it. My load is almost constant and really only varies by the amount of fuel, fresh water and waste water I'm carrying. I do pull a variety of trailers fairly often, and have not noticed any difference because of the air bags. If I were investing the money, I'd much rather have the larger rear sway bar.
Given the dual controls of the Firestone RideRite, I have always assumed it was to assist in levelling at campsites, and to a lesser degree to help with additional load. I had manual air helper springs in my Rialta, and they were effective for levelling, but not convenient. The Firestone system seems like a much better accessory.

Top Bottom