Hard to find one now

Electra

Wishin No More
About 3 months ago I was finding a lot of used or new (but older) Sprinters -- not so in the last couple of weeks. Now I call and they are already gone. Crap...

Electra

Wishin No More
No kidding. A lot of people (I'm reading) are going for the non-dpf diesels.
I'm working one dealer over a second time. It's been exactly a month from my last offer; lets see if I have a deal or not. 06 still sitting there for 2 years... :idunno: If it is meant to be, I will find a vehicle within my dh's price range. PRAY!

My Dodge Baby is up on Craigslist, some people still want those 15 passenger vans. I hope to get about $8000 for it, okay $7800 if fair value.

I have to sign up soon with our biodiesel co-op if I want in! DH won't agree to the contract w the co-op until we have a diesel vehicle. I'm all about going non-dpf, my dh is all about the $$. Right now it ends up being less than $3 per gallon, I can be "green" and he can save money.

N2XBW

And another thing...
My Fellow Srintophiles,
My Sprinter USED TO BE a 1997 Ford E350 15 with the V-10. It really was a great van, but nowhere near my 202 Sprinter for mpg. What do I care if 5 people have to stay home!:laughing:
John / N2XBW

Electra

Wishin No More
So, my 2nd offer was declined as well.
:idunno::idunno::idunno:

I'm seriously confused as to what makes any dealer think an 06 is going anywhere for their price when it's still sitting there. I saw this vehicle in January, made contact in March, made an offer in April and now a 2nd offer in May.

Until next month... LOL When will the dealer take my offer?

Every day he's loosing money on the thing. "Floor Plan Interest" -- daily!!! For 2 YEARS!!! He started going backwards a long time ago.

It's not even a pretty color, it's plain old white.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

I'm seriously confused as to what makes any dealer think an 06 is going anywhere for their price when it's still sitting there.

Every day he's loosing money on the thing. "Floor Plan Interest" -- daily!!! For 2 YEARS!!! He started going backwards a long time ago.
Greed occludes reason, or maybe it corrodes it; either way, in this, fiscal sanity nowhere to be seen.

Electra

Wishin No More
What was the specs on this T1N that you're looking at besides it being white?
2006 140WB looks like tow hitch is on it
Rear a/c and heat
cruise - well the package B
"New" I think 60 miles on it.

I made an offer last month and I didn't really increase my offer, I only took away my trade in and offered straight cash.
I called on it the month before.
I came across it in January.

I replied back to the decline something like if you lower your price let me know. I must admit the asking price is pretty good, but the value of the vehicle when I drive it off the lot is nearly a 3 year old vehicle. My dh won't offer more based on Edmunds, I see that sometimes they are going for more, sometimes not. Ebay is a "not", they go for what Edmunds states is a fair price and rarely more.

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
Come to calgary, they cant sell them here... no one wants them! All the problems the new ones have been having, the dealer are trying to get rid of them any way they can. They are selling them wholesale to those that know about it.

Nhuskys

:idunno::idunno::idunno:

I'm seriously confused as to what makes any dealer think an 06 is going anywhere for their price when it's still sitting there. I saw this vehicle in January, made contact in March, made an offer in April and now a 2nd offer in May.

Until next month... LOL When will the dealer take my offer?

It's not even a pretty color, it's plain old white.
That thing has been off the "Floor Plan" for a long time now. The secret is to know where a vehicle is in the floor plan..... If the dealer gets some free flooring, just before he has to start paying interest or just before the floor plan ends and the dealer has to buy the vehicle are the best times to buy. The dealer probably owns an '06, so has little incentive to blow it out as he's paid wholesale and interest on it.
Norman

Electra

Wishin No More
That thing has been off the "Floor Plan" for a long time now. The secret is to know where a vehicle is in the floor plan..... If the dealer gets some free flooring, just before he has to start paying interest or just before the floor plan ends and the dealer has to buy the vehicle are the best times to buy. The dealer probably owns an '06, so has little incentive to blow it out as he's paid wholesale and interest on it.
Norman
Makes sense it would be off of "floor plan". That skipped my mind.
So the dearler, owns it and can sit on it for as long as they want to. The only thing the 06 is doing is getting older and depreciating in value "new" or not.
If I don't find another by June 9th, I'll call the owner of the dealership directly, screw the middle guy (assuming it will still be at the dealership). I was sort of shocked a 158" I called on, but did not offer on was gone when I checked back. The price was $39K firm.

mobileoilchange

i dont see how anyone can call the t1n "last of the good ones"

the t1n's fit and finish isnt no where as good as the 2007/2008 ncv3
the 2.7l has more engine problems then the 3.0l
the ncv3 has better brakes (brembo)
the ncv3 interior is better
the ncv3 body looks better
the ncv3 size is better
there are more options with the ncv3
the list goes on and on.

the only thing the t1n may have over the ncv3 is fuel mileage. but thats it!
and with just a mile or few per gallon less then the t1n, i would call the ncv3 the better vehicle.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
the only thing the t1n may have over the ncv3 is fuel mileage. but thats it!
and with just a mile or few per gallon less then the t1n, i would call the ncv3 the better vehicle.

Can't wholly accept that!

NCV3 interior definitely up on a T1N but...

There's no "may" about it - an NCV3 drinks it. It has significantly less payload than than a T1N, and is uglier (VW had the better design idea).

First two of those things are high on the list of main criteria for a lot of buyers (-our diesel is now £5.50 a gallon).

Note that T1Ns are very much enjoying a value increase here, rather than the expected step down after new model launch. Buyers want them over NCV3s. Several conversations with operators who have bought NCV3s, then sold them and gone back to T1Ns for the time being. Reasons are poorer payload / mpg than expected.

MIG

Last edited:
Fellas,

the real culprit is the emissions controls/dpf. this is the major difference between the two and
the reason for lower mileage. your comparing apples and oranges.

gerry:smilewink:

mobileoilchange

Can't wholly accept that!

NCV3 interior definitely up on a T1N but...

There's no "may" about it - an NCV3 drinks it. It has significantly less payload than than a T1N, and is uglier (VW had the better design idea).

First two of those things are high on the list of main criteria for a lot of buyers (-our diesel is now £5.50 a gallon).

Note that T1Ns are very much enjoying a value increase here, rather than the expected step down after new model launch. Buyers want them over NCV3s. Several conversations with operators who have bought NCV3s, then sold them and gone back to T1Ns for the time being. Reasons are poorer payload / mpg than expected.

MIG

i dont see how you can say that the t1n has a better payload. at least here in the usa the ncv3 has a higher payload rating.
and in my opinion the ncv3's look alot better.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
and the day he get's all the money he's waiting for from you or another, is the day it's taken off the lot and worth 2/3rds of it's original value...

Electra

Wishin No More
Well, I've stated this before -- I think the I5 engine has it going over the V6 PERIOD. All the "extras" are just that "extras" - a vehicle gets your from point A to point B.

Personally, the traditional Euro van look of the 06 and older is very ugly to me (especially without tinted windows), however, it is narrower in width and I have to park this thing in narrower and narrower and narrower parking spaces, in addition to driving it in narrower lanes every time they add a lane to an originally 2 lane road around here! Plus the traffic of the DC Metro area.

The new 07/08 are wider than my exisiting van, ouch! I don't want wider and I don't really want longer. I want gas milage with seats that are safer than the benches with no head rest.

Given my ultimate priority is safer seats, I've looked at 07/08s and wouldn't pass one by if it had what we wanted (basics rear a/c and heat) and the price was right. I made an offer on an 07, my focus has been 06s though.

Gas milage at better than 20 city and safer seats leave me with 3 options 1) Sprinter, 2) Caravan SE and 3) Kia Rondo/ Dodge Journey 4 cyc.
Options 2 and 3 are just too small -- when I can't go to Costco with my kids in a vehicle it's too small. I couldn't even go to the grocery store with my kids in a minivan or crossover SUV, once the kids are in the storage is gone.

So that leaves Sprinter... Or finding out how to put safer seats in my existing van which is falling apart (everything but the exterior and engine, the parts a/c fan, starter went at 68K mls, now the brakes) every time I turn around.

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
i dont see how you can say that the t1n has a better payload. at least here in the usa the ncv3 has a higher payload rating.
I guess we have to accept that cosmetics are subjective mobileoilchange!

However in the UK, the LWB 3.5t NCV3 (a common business/fleet variant) only carries around 1,000kgs with driver and fuel. This is about 250kgs poorer than its predecessor - and that's a fact. Business here are bemoans the payload of the NCV3.

Look it at like this: three generations ago (in Sprinterland) a 3.5t MB van existed which could carry 1,750kgs. Now we're down to around 1,100kgs for the same wheelbase variant at 3.5t.

Worse, I still have clients who believe you can still load the 1,750kgs in a new 3.5t Sprinter.

Okay, we have also gained a great deal during the same time but you see my point?

MIG

mobileoilchange

yes and no.

because here in the usa they still have 11030 gvwr and depending on the van wheel base and body length.
and i dont know the difference between a US ton (1 us ton = 2000 pounds) and a metric ton.

for example
a ncv3 with a 170" wheel base on a 3500 high roof has a payload rating of 5052 us pounds with a GVWR of 11030 pounds. thats a 2 1/2 US ton payload.

the ncv3 with a 144" wheel base on a 3500 dual rear wheel high roof has a payload rating of 4530 us pounds with a GVWR of 9900 pounds.

the ncv3 with a 144" wheel base on a 3500 dual rear wheel high roof has a payload rating of 5570 us pounds with a GVWR of 11030 pounds.

where the t1n with a 140" wheel base on a 3500 dual rear wheel has a payload rating of 4769 us pounds with a GVWR of 9900 pounds.
and the t1n with a 158" wheel base on a 3500 dual rear wheel has a payload rating of 4530 us pounds with a GVWR of 9900 pounds.

i still say the ncv3 is the better van. but thats just my opinion.

Top Bottom