East Coast USA to Southeast Alaska

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Later this year, we are planning a cross-country trip to see some family in British Columbia. Since we have never been to Alaska and I have an entire month off work, I thought this might be an opportunity to hit my 49th state and knock off 2 or 3 Canadian provinces all in one trip.

Since it doesn't require ferry or air travel, we thought going to Skagway AK would be a reasonable destination. Our return trip would take us to Castlegar BC to visit my aunt and uncle for about a week, after which we would drive back to Vancouver BC.

Below are the routes we are considering. Does anyone here have experience traveling these roads? Are there any red flags anyone sees in traveling these routes? I know the cost of fuel will be higher in CA than in the USA, but that's all part of the territory.

Brunswick to Skagway by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Skagway to Castlegar by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

chromisdesigns

Hey, Photo --

We've covered both routes as far as Prince George a couple different times, and from Prince George to Prince Rupert once, though none of these were in a camper. From what I recall, you won't have any issues to/from Prince George, anyway. It's a beautiful drive, and lots of places to stop and camp along the way -- when we were there, we were wishing we had a camper the whole time!

Can't help you on the leg to/from Alaska -- it's on our bucket list but haven't made it yet.

Sounds like a fabulous trip -- you are going to be busy doing it in one month, though!

tinman

We seem to do the Edmonton-Whitehorse trip every year. We love it. No red flags, other than our plans seem to get amended at the last minute, or enroute, because of road closures due to flooding or slides. We travel in early June, and the traffic and bugs are fewer, but higher risk of floods than later. Our preference is Alaska Highway one way, and the Stewart-Cassiar the other. Once up in the Yukon, you might consider the drive to Haines, then a ferry to Skagway and out for your southbound trip. Depending on your schedule and interests, lots of scope for some short or long side trips(Dawson City, Atlin, Stewart-Hyder, Nisga'a). Whitehorse has some excellent museums, natural history, gold rush (trail of '98), transportation (building the Alaska highway). Roads are good, usually some gravel construction stretches. Some long stretches between fuel stops, but nothing of issue to Sprinter range. Fuel costs are higher than what you're used to, good incentive to stay light on the pedal. You'll see lots of critters, including black and grizzly bears (keep your camp clean), bison, moose, elk, deer, caribou if you're lucky.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions about my back yard. I'll update later in June after we're back from this year's trip.

Andy
2006 LT Freedom 210B

glasseye

On the outbound leg, I'd stay further south until the Rockies, then head.north to Calgary via MT.

On the return leg, access Nelson BC via Vernon, Nakusp rather than Kamloops and Revelstoke. Much prettier roads.

Last edited:

tinman

On the outbound leg, I'd stay further south until the Rockies, then head.north to Calgary via MT.

On the return leg, access Nelson BC via Vernon, Nakusp rather than Kamloops and Revelstoke. Much prettier roads.
I concur, unless the outbound is all about the destination. That trip across the prairies is a bit mind-numbing.
For the northbound trip, if time is the issue I'd consider picking up Highway 16 through Yorkton, SK, Regina, Edmonton, then to Grande Prairie, to Mile Zero of the Alcan at Dawson Creek. If a little more pleasant sight seeing is preferred, stay south through The Black Hills in SD and north through Great Falls to Calgary. At that point you'd still save some time going through Edmonton then up to Grande Prairie, as you'll see a lot of the Rockies coming home. The drive from Calgary to Banff, then Lake Louise up to Jasper is one of the most spectacular in the world, but with the time you have and the distance to cover, there are some tough choices. Might have to quit your job and stretch it out.:bounce:

Andy

tinman

Sorry -had a closer look at your proposed route, and your photo archive which includes some obvious SD tripping. The route you've plotted through Hwy 93 in Banff and Jasper is well worthwhile, but in July and August can be pretty slow with tourist traffic. More time to enjoy the sights. Popular cycling route too! The rest of your northbound route to Prince George and beyond is fine. Don't know what time of year you're going, but check for weather events and road closures. Usually not an issue after June, but more strange stuff every year.

Andy

Mein Sprinter

Known member
photogravity....

We're doing the same thing but from North Carolina first week of July and are heading to Inuvik, NWT.

We're first going to the Roadtrek factory in Kitchener, Ontario then head West through Canada to Banff; Ice Road and points NorthWest by North. Have done this part by BMW 1200GS/sidecar some time ago but missed the Dempster Highway. On your way to WhiteHorse don't forget to soak at the Liard HotSprings and leave your sign at the Sign post in Watson Lake, YK. If you do do Dawson City take a slug of whiskey with a petrified toe in it at the Downtown Hotel there, cross the ferry to the Top of the World highway to Chicken, AK. ENJOY :cheers: :thumbup:

The roads were basically just fine... paved and occasional gravels. Make sure that your tires are in top condition and have your Springer serviced well!

Hope to meet you on the road.

cheers....

Last edited:

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Great discussion everyone and many thanks for the various tips. We're still working on our plans and firming them up. The plan is to have 2 very long days and then after we cross the Canadian border for the first time, we'll slow the pace somewhat. I know many folks find the prairie boring, and taken in from the freeway I agree entirely, but at a slower pace I find it enjoyable. When we get west of Calgary we'll slow the pace even more so we can enjoy the mountains.

We'll be spending a week in Castlegar with my aunt and then another week in Vancouver with my other aunt. We'll then head home across the northern tier states and the upper peninsula of Michigan and then home. That's the outline and is open to change depending on circumstances. I've tried to design the route in such a way as to avoid traveling the same road twice, though that is nearly impossible when you go to Alaska since there are so few roads.

2014 Holiday Map by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

glasseye

Looking good. The parts I'm familiar with look superb, especially the D to C points and the return via WA. Reports from the road are always appreciated. :thumbup:

Happy Trails!

icarus

I would cross at Sault St. Marie and drive the North Shore of Superior, rather than the south shore. Beware fuel is quite far sort between the Soo and Thunder Bay. Then consider following the north shot down to Duluth, or cross NW Ontario to Winnepeg. From there either the Yellowhead to Edmonton, or preferably down through Souris MB, Hwy 2/13 through Weyburn, and the Cypress Hills, then join the Crowsnest Hwy into Cranbrook/Creston, up to Nelson in the (free) ferry, then up to Nakusp and either Vernon or Revelstoke. (Alternatively, up from Cranbrook, through Invermeer, Golden, and over to the Icefields to Jasper.

The Road from Vsncouver to Castlegar is nice, windy and slow, but quite pretty. Alternatively the North Cross Hwy (WA 20) is a great drive. Then through to Bonners Ferry, Libby and Glacier is nice as well.

All truly the best scenery in N. America rolled into one trip. I've driven most roads in BC, WA, MT AB and the prairies dozens of times. Don't discount the Praries, especially if you stay off the four lane. (ie the TCa or I 90/94, especially in Canada, but watch your fuel.)

Good Lu ck, have a nice trip,

Icarus

Davydd

I'd make a couple of minor modifications. You are getting very close to Stewart,BC/Hyder, AK when traveling the Cassiar Highway. Consider a side trip over there as there are glaciers you can get to in Alaska and great bear watching on a boardwalk in the Tongass National Forest in Hyder.

Secondly, when coming home across Minnesota wend your way on across through Ely (Boundary Water Canoe Area) and down to the Minnesota Lake Superior North Shore and then back down to Duluth.

powderhound

Ok...it's going to sound weird, but you don't want to miss Fargo, North Dakota. Too bad about that movie from way back when...it really hurts/created its' reputation. I drove from Boston to Anchorage and back last summer and Fargo was so pleasant a stop I stayed two nights! A very hipster-ish town, which is always entertaining! Great coffee shops...restaurants were great, but I was too poor to enjoy! Great biking too. Still, it was the multicultural aspect of the twin college towns that I really enjoyed. If anyone thinks there is a stereotypical "American" I would encourage that person to go to Wal-Mart in Fargo. It was actually quite a relief given my travels throughout the Mid-West!

Finally, as recommended in a previous response, I would suggest entering Canada through Sweetgrass, MT. Check out Glacier National Park if you have time.

Over my whole 5,000 Mile journey, the only obstacle I ran into (not literally) was a lawn mower that dropped off the back of a trailer when nearing Calgary! The Al-Can is great and not really worthy of all the hyped-up danger factors! 95% of the road is paved!

Enjoy the Journey...don't rush!

-Rich

Last edited:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I'd make a couple of minor modifications. You are getting very close to Stewart,BC/Hyder, AK when traveling the Cassiar Highway. Consider a side trip over there as there are glaciers you can get to in Alaska and great bear watching on a boardwalk in the Tongass National Forest in Hyder.

Secondly, when coming home across Minnesota wend your way on across through Ely (Boundary Water Canoe Area) and down to the Minnesota Lake Superior North Shore and then back down to Duluth.
You can read if you wish of our incursion into Hyder, AK and surrounding area at: post#124 at: >>

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34020&page=13

cheers....

cahaak

I think you would also enjoy the trip across the North side of Lake sup. Also, I can recommend some wonderful state forest campgrounds in Northern Minnesota if you find yourself staying in that area. North shore of lake Sup is beautiful in the fall.

Chris

icarus

Grand forks ND is also very nice, smallish college town. Nice Cabellas that I think you can stay (and dump) at.

Icarus

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Thanks to everyone for the great tips so far. As of now, we have changed the Alaska destination from Skagway to Hyder and are going to take the north shore of Lake Superior instead of the south shore. The average mileage per day is about 425 miles with the highest mileage day being around 600 miles and the shortest day being about 250 miles. The only really hard dates for our travel schedule are when we arrive in Vancouver since we have reservations and when we need to arrive home. The longest days are at the beginning and end of the trip with the short drives in the middle as we are exploring BC on the way to visit my relatives.

Semi-Finalized 2014 Holiday Route by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
My suggestion? With all the great travel tips..Take two months! ;)
Bill
NYC~
LOL. Well, I wish we could. Wifey doesn't work any more, so that's not an issue. I have enough leave on the books, that I could technically do that. Getting another month of leave approved - that'll require an act of God!

Top Bottom