Having trouble with turbo cutout on road trip

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper
Hey all. We are currently on a road trip in Colorado and I'm having some problems with the turbo on my van. If I get on a long climb the turbo will quit building boost. I have to get out my torque app and reset the ecu. It doesn't throw a light, but I do see some codes in memory. P2135, P2136, which relate to the tps a/b and a/c voltage correlation, p1482 which says small leak detection in the heater pump circuit, which I don't have a clue what that is, and P2359 which I don't have a definition for. Each time it cuts out I'm in a high boost situation. It has done it while in cruise and while not using cruise control. Last night it did it a couple of times while climbing some grades near Vail pass, Colorado once after passing a big rig, then I had to pull on the shoulder and let him pass me back. I'm sure he was cussing me. Any hints to what I need to look at? Anyone near Loveland Colorado with a DAD or other tester? We are headed back to NC tonight or tomorrow and it would be nice to not have to worry about the turbo cutout on the way home. My cell is 828 289 7781 if you are near by. Thx!!!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
P2359 is "boost pressure too high" and/or "boost pressure too low"

Thus my first guess would be that your turbo resonator has cracked its top glue seam.
On my T1N, it had evidently been leaking for years (tarry build-up on the hoses beneath it), and a severe bump finally caused the crack to advance enough such that 27 psi MAP would open it up... and the ECM noticed it and shut down the turbo.
Stop, turn off engine, turn on engine, and i had boost again... until i exceeded 27 psi.

Replacing the resonator fixed it.

(pulling the resonator, cleaning it, completely encasing the seam in JB Weld has been another pair of members' on-the-road repair)

The other codes are all associated with the Glow Plugs (1482 is "glow plug module internal fault")
2135 and 2136 are failures of glow plugs 3 and 4.

You'd notice a throttle position sensor (tps) failure: the engine would probably drop to idle or stop.

good luck
--dick

lindenengineering

Hey all. We are currently on a road trip in Colorado and I'm having some problems with the turbo on my van. If I get on a long climb the turbo will quit building boost. I have to get out my torque app and reset the ecu. It doesn't throw a light, but I do see some codes in memory. P2135, P2136, which relate to the tps a/b and a/c voltage correlation, p1482 which says small leak detection in the heater pump circuit, which I don't have a clue what that is, and P2359 which I don't have a definition for. Each time it cuts out I'm in a high boost situation. It has done it while in cruise and while not using cruise control. Last night it did it a couple of times while climbing some grades near Vail pass, Colorado once after passing a big rig, then I had to pull on the shoulder and let him pass me back. I'm sure he was cussing me. Any hints to what I need to look at? Anyone near Loveland Colorado with a DAD or other tester? We are headed back to NC tonight or tomorrow and it would be nice to not have to worry about the turbo cutout on the way home. My cell is 828 289 7781 if you are near by. Thx!!!
First check what ambient temperature you are showing on the info panel, if it seems wildly out you may have an ambient temp correlation fault with the same unit giving intake sensor PCM info located on the air cleaner cover. There is a Dodge bulletin about loss of boost due to this issue and no mil lamp illumination fault. It gets hidden in instrument panel faults

Also an over boost fault can be attributed to that mentioned sensor on the air cleaner cover or in fact the boost sensor itself which is mounted in the turbo feed hose drivers side.

We often get folks from the "lowlands" with the same problems and the only way to run it down is smoke the intake system with pressurized theatrical smoke or do a stall test and raise the turbo blow pressure and see if the system will leak and blow the resonator seams apart.
If that looks OK then its sensor check time!
Info the 2005 TIN model seems to be very sensitive to air intake temp sensor faults and it has been superseded about three times.

Up there in Loveland you should be able to find an Independent shop with a Snap On basic scanner and Euro comms cable with a Dodge program. Using comms keys S17 for "power pack" , S20 for ABS, and S4 for instrument panel it should be easy to run down.
Snap on Verus Pro does auto scan--just plug 'n play then read!

By the way the Sprinter is found at the bottom of the selection list on Dodge programs second page when using a Snap on Solus Pro!

If you find a shop with the tool up there and they are unsure you can always call me and I can run the main points by them.
Dennis
PS it can't be all bad! Take heart!
I had one in the shop last week with a no boost----Turned out to be a totally seized turbine--spendy job!

rlg999

2005 3500 Long/Hi Camper
I was able to make it back to NC without too much issue. I kept an eye on the boost and when I got up to around 28 or 29 psi, I would either downshift or throttle back to keep from throwing the code. I am going to inspect my resonator today and if it is shot, I may get the aluminum resonator eliminator to prevent any future problems with it. Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it! I really wanted to go across the pass through Rocky Mtn, Ntl park, but it was still closed due to snow. I was curious how the old sprinter would do at 12000+ ft.

Top Bottom