Transmission problems

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Several months back I posted a "NAG1 Tech Alert" in the T1N "write-up section". The posting covered contamination issues with the the 2 transmission speed sensors and the hyd./elec valve body's circuit board.

I had a phone call a few days ago from a group member in the great lakes area. If I recall correctly-50K on his 3500, used in his service business, very heavily loaded, aggressive driving, ATF change at 30K.

He began experiencing transmission problems (50K) and a Malfunction Indicator Light in dash cluster. Repair shop suggested a replacement transmission based on finding (what was actually normal!) sediment in pan.

He had not seen my alert posting but had someone else drop the valve body and discovered its circuit board was contaminated and shorting the solenoids. He replaced (he may have been able to clean) the circuit board which was contaminated with normal metallic debris, normal-considering the severe duty. Doktor A

Last edited:

05highroof

I'm getting ready to do the trans service (Per your posting DR A) on my 05 2500. Its got over 140 on the odometer I've had the truck for about 10k miles and have no service history on the trans.Other Then mild rsn the trans works fine.
My question is if I drop the valve body and find the circuit board to be dirty what's the best way to clean it?
Could it be sprayed with brake clean and blown dry with compressed air or is there a better way?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I'm getting ready to do the trans service (Per your posting DR A) on my 05 2500.
My question is if I drop the valve body and find the circuit board to be dirty what's the best way to clean it?
Could it be sprayed with brake clean and blown dry with compressed air or is there a better way?
If you find contamination, wipe off the speed sensors and clean the circuit board with a spray cleaner that is plastic and circuit board friendly-a dedicated electric contact cleaner will work fine. Be careful to avoid any contamination of the valve body itself-remove the circuit board first, if necessary.

Without symptoms and Malfunction Indicator Light indication I don't expect you will find significant contamination but it can't hurt to look, if you're careful. Doktor A

05highroof

If you find contamination, wipe off the speed sensors and clean the circuit board with a spray cleaner that is plastic and circuit board friendly-a dedicated electric contact cleaner will work fine. Be careful to avoid any contamination of the valve body itself-remove the circuit board first, if necessary.

Without symptoms and Malfunction Indicator Light indication I don't expect you will find significant contamination but it can't hurt to look, if you're careful. Doktor A

Aircraft Wrench

Dr. A

How about a stronger magnet placed on the side (or other location) of the tranny pan to attract the ferrous debris instead of the circuit board?

Best regards!

(I will be visiting you in person this summer/fall!)

...Just over 40K (Miles) now I am the warrenty center!

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Dr. A
How about a stronger magnet placed on the side (or other location) of the tranny pan to attract the ferrous debris instead of the circuit board?

Best regards!

(I will be visiting you in person this summer/fall!)

...Just over 40K (Miles) now I am the warrenty center!
An intriguing idea but those pesky high power magnet speed sensors (and beneath them the circuit board) have first dibs on most of the ferrous fallout.

Congrats on now being your own official warranty center. I look forward to meeting you. Doktor A

mustangcrazy90

I had one , a 3500 with 50k on it. Pulled down the valve body. It had a N3 signal code. Not bad until it warmed up. Looked at the sensors. Found a little contamination but mainly the circuitry that went to the sensor, well it was blue from getting real hot. I'm guessing it had a short or the such causing the loss of signal. Oh well replaced the valve body and is good as new!

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
I am 1000 miles away from my 36K mile warranty expiring......

I feel like my tranny is slipping here and there.....like when I take off from a stop some times, it will rev up first sometimes before engaging, and also when I slow down, coast, and press the gas pedal again, I feel it sometimes rev up and engage after the reving......

Is there any thing for me to look out for, or check too see if there is any warranty I could get performed on this before this 1000 miles are up and I am out out of warranty?

I asked the dealer to look at it last year, and they told me there was nothing wrong with it......

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tibor

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I am 1000 miles away from my 36K mile warranty expiring......
feel like my tranny is slipping here and there....
Is there any thing for me to look out for, or check too see if there is any warranty I could get performed on this before this 1000 miles are up and I am out out of warranty?
Cheers,
Tibor
I would ask the dealer to check the ATF fluid level and look for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes that may be stored. The dealer has some economic incentive to seek out warranty work while you still have your factory warranty. Doktor A

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
I would ask the dealer to check the ATF fluid level and look for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes that may be stored. The dealer has some economic incentive to seek out warranty work while you still have your factory warranty. Doktor A
Thank you Dr. A....

I did have them check the fluid already once and they stated that it was okay, but it still had this slipping feeling I describe. Not always, it is strange.

If the circuit board was contaminated like you describe in the thread, would that show in a scan of codes?

Thanks again,

Tibor

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
If the circuit board was contaminated like you describe in the thread, would that show in a scan of codes?

Thanks again,
Tibor
If the circuit board or speed senors are heavily contaminated it will cause symptoms and trigger Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Doktor A

Top Bottom