ScanGageII

bmarvin1095

Has anyone installed a ScanGageII on a 2008 View 3500? How did you make the connection to the OBDII socket? Bmarvin1095.

sailquik

bmarvin1095,
1/ Remove the gray plastic fuse box cover in the driver's side foot well in front of the Emergency Brake handle.
2/ Remove the black plastic OBD-II cover. (Use a tiny flat blade screwdriver to spread the hinge loops). The black cover is right in front
of the Emergency Brake Handle.
3/ Plug the Scan Gauge II OBD-II cable into the Sprinters OBD-II receptacle.
You can run the cable up and behind the E brake handle and then tuck the cable under the rubber seal along the A pillar.
No holes/nothing gets cut, looks almost like it was designed to be there.
4/ Plug the other end of the cable into the Scan Gauge II, use the provided Velcro to hold the SG II to the LH side of the Speedometer hump. Use the plug in the back of the SG II as this routes the cable better.
5/ Do the setup for the Scan Gauge II per the instructions provided.
Fuel= diesela
Fuel tank capacity= 100 liters/ 26.4 gallons
Engine size= 3.0 liters
Select the other parameters based on whether you want metric units or English/USA Units.
MAP (PSIA) is easier to understand than straight boost in PSI.
Set % engine Load (LOD) as your primary PID as all the other engine management functions are directly
linked to the LOD.
You are done!
Super easy!
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You need to remove the two screws that hole the OBDII socket in place and let it float free in the compartment, that way you can mate an OBDII connector and close the access door.

joebiggs

Roger (Sailquik) you rock. Now what are the benefits of using a scan gauge and can't I just make note of what speed/rpm you saw benefits at and just use that information.
James

northfielder

I'm doing my first ScanGaugeII install right now as well. This was very helpful. Another question though. When I connect it I get a constant... ding, ding, ding sound and it won't stop until I disconnect it. Is there a setting that I need to adjust or something?

jim

sailquik

dumlaofrank,
Have you done the first refill calibration yet?
Do you have the OM-651 4 cylinder 7 speed or the OM- 642 V6 5 speed?
The normal fuel offset to get the mileage correct is different for each of them.
My current offset for the OM-651 is running in the - (minus) 5.7-7.7 range and my fillups are currently within
0.1~0.3 (one tenth to 3 tenths of a gallon) of the actual fill up gallons on the pump.
I'm getting much better mileage towing my big cargo trailer with the OM-651 than I did with the OM-642 V6's
I had before.
Hope this helps,
Roger

dumlaofrank,
Have you done the first refill calibration yet?
Do you have the OM-651 4 cylinder 7 speed or the OM- 642 V6 5 speed?
The normal fuel offset to get the mileage correct is different for each of them.
My current offset for the OM-651 is running in the - (minus) 5.7-7.7 range and my fillups are currently within
0.1~0.3 (one tenth to 3 tenths of a gallon) of the actual fill up gallons on the pump.
I'm getting much better mileage towing my big cargo trailer with the OM-651 than I did with the OM-642 V6's
I had before.
Hope this helps,
Roger
I have V6 5 speed. To calibrate, can you make the instructions simple? I have not done anything to it just connected and entered the setup data. I have only filled it up once since I installed the guage. Thanks in advance.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Can you please tell me the steps to calibrate the gauge? Please try to make it simple. Thanks.:cheers:
There's nothing simpler than reading the owner's manual ;) The link below contains the owner's manual and the Quickstart Guide, both of which provide a step-by-step description of what to do.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Edit: Forgot the link! But pfflyer also added it below.

Last edited:

sailquik

dumlaofrank,
What year model Sprinter do you have that you are trying to calibrate a Scan Gauge II in?
I can give you a starting point but will need to know your model year and engine/transmission
combination as the normal offset for each type of Sprinter is a little different.
The number will be negative.
The process, is (as suggested) very simple....Fill you fuel tank, set the offset at zero (if you like), and then
drive until the low fuel light comes on (normally this is 3/4 of a tank (~75 out of 100 liters)) then refill the tank to the
same level.
Hit the Scan Gauge II button with the red circle around it (bottom RH button) and the menu will change to include "MORE"
Touch the more button momentarily until the display shows "FILL UP" .
Touch the button (top RH) next to "FILL UP" and you will see the gallons and tenths of gallons displayed.
That number is what the Scan Gauge II calculated you used.
Compare that number with the number of gallons you pumped into the tank to refill it.
Use the RH Top button to increase the # of gallons and correction percentage, or the LH Top button to decrease the # of gallons and the correction percentage.
The hit the finished button and enter your cost per gallon so the cost per mile can be calculated correctly.
Then hit the button to go back to the normal display.
You may need to do this a few times to really dial it in.
After the initial correction, the amount of correction can become quite a small number ( a few 10ths of a gallon ideally) so I try to only correct half the
error each time I fill up and I'm now getting the 2014 dialed in so the gallons normally compute within a few tenths of a gallon.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

pfflyer

Thanks Roger for the tip of correcting half the difference in gallons. This probably will compensate for using different pumps and topping off at different levels. I am usually 2-3/10ths off but some times could be as high as 7/10ths.

Top Bottom