Won't turn over, check engine light on

alschuetz

Help! The 2014 Itasca Reyo with a 2013 chassis has been problem free since we took delivery last August (8900 miles). We are planning to join a caravan in June and they required using CB radio for communications. So earlier this week I installed a CB radio Cobra GX 75 with the control head behind the lower center console trim. Installation was straight forward and it works well. But for two days of on and off working on it, I thought the chassis battery got run down.

When I went to start it yesterday afternoon, it turned over slowly and then just clicked. The battery was 12.5v. So I disconnected it and ran a charge on the battery last night and it went up to 13.1v. But still no start and it didn't even attempt to turn over. But I did hear a click when I tried to start it. Also, I added DEF yesterday afternoon. It was from the same container of DEF I had used previously without problem. The check engine light stays lit.

I have checked the fuses and they checked good with an OHM meter. Fuse #23 is a 10A and I have read that it should be a 20 or 25A. But it checks out good. There aren't any messages on the computer and I am thinking I might need to buy a OBD scan tool. Any thoughts to try before calling a tow truck?

Thanks
Al 2014 ReyoT 2013 Sprinter chassis

fonman

In general if it clicks but doesn't crank your battery is dead or bad. Dead as in low. Bad as in won't keep or take a charge.

If your battery was defective, the CB would take the surface charge off. So no crank....

The quick test.....turn on your headlights. If they don't come on, battery Dead. Charge completely and test again.

Keep in mind the typical charger may take 24 hours to fully charge a battery. That is why they want to keep your battery overnight to charge and test.

If the headlights come on brightly, try and crank while watching the headlights. If they go off while the key is in the crank position, the battery is dead.

Could also be bad cables or connections.....

I imagine my advice is a bit tardy....best of luck.

icarus

In general if it clicks but doesn't crank your battery is dead or bad. Dead as in low. Bad as in won't keep or take a charge.

If your battery was defective, the CB would take the surface charge off. So no crank....

The quick test.....turn on your headlights. If they don't come on, battery Dead. Charge completely and test again.

Keep in mind the typical charger may take 24 hours to fully charge a battery. That is why they want to keep your battery overnight to charge and test.

If the headlights come on brightly, try and crank while watching the headlights. If they go off while the key is in the crank position, the battery is dead.

Could also be bad cables or connections.....

I imagine my advice is a bit tardy....best of luck.
While th above is true to a point, it could be all kinds of other trouble, including bad cables, bad relays, or something in the ECU. A digital volt meter would help begin to isolate the issue. Remember even though a battery shows ~12.6 vdc it may or may not be healthy. Test the voltage, then turn on the lights and see how far it drops, then turn them off, and see how it recovers.

Icarus

Top Bottom