How do I disassemble the dashboard over the bank of switches?

jkd159

I want to disassemble the dashboard to add a USB plug in my mostly empty bank of switches. I plan to jumper some wires directly to the 12v plug. Does anyone have photos or instructions for disassembling the dash at that location? I think I'd crack a lot of plastic if I used trial and error.

In the photo below, I plan to move the dual USB adapter that is currently in the 12V plug to be permanently installed in one of the empty switch slots above it.

Thanks!

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
There are posts and pictures if you search the site.
The deep box pops out with a bit of prying around the top edge. Under that is a screw.
The frame around the gearshift pries up as well.
After removing the screw, just pull up and the whole face snaps out.

Last edited:

glasseye

I watch the audio installer remove my panel. He pried it open with a plastic wedge tool. We had to move the shift lever out of park to remove the panel completely.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
The ash tray is in the drawer, it's the change pocket in the dash that you pry up with your fingernails, then under the Torx screw that holds the panel in place, then remove the surround around the shifter with your nails again and finally pull up using the opening left by the missing change pocket. Careful, the tabs at the top can break off! Then the new piece will not be the same color as the rest of the dash that has been in the sun all these years. The shifter has to be released, using a pencil in the very bottom opening to release the gear shifter when the engine isn't running, only if you need to remove the stereo from the DIN. Oh, and don't make the mistake I made thinking the van won't roll when it's not in gear. Fortunately my other car was. Nice popping sound of the license plate cover being destroyed.

-Randy

bc339

Images to go along with what dick posted.
After removing the fastener under the cubby hole, pull up on the center console switch panel a little bit to raise the trim bezel around the shifter. Carefully remove the trim bezel, then you can pull up the center console switch panel - make sure to place the shifter in Neutral for clearance.
Bruce

Attachments

Last edited:

jkd159

Thanks all! I finally got around to finishing this project. It worked like a breeze. And I now have a pair of USB ports on my dash. I wired them through a dash mounted switch to the 12V port. The switch is because the USB ports have blue LEDs that are on when they have power, and the 12V port has power all the time. I'm not really worried about two little blue LEDs draining my battery, but it is annoying sleeping in the van at night with bright glowing lights on the dash.

For what it is worth, I could remove all the trim pieces with the shifter in park.

Top Bottom