interior handle to open slider missing

Dasveed

2020 144 wb 2500 SHC
my newly aquired 2004 high roof 140 wb cargo van has no way to open the sliding door from the inside without pushing a spring loaded latch with your fingers. it opens smoothly from the exterior handle. the inside of the van has no panels at all. the slider door has no panel either. the auto door lock actuator is visible and the manual door lock/handle is there as well. is there a part that is missing?

Dasveed

2020 144 wb 2500 SHC
OK I'm must be missing something or this cargo van did not come with any way to open the sliding side door from the INSIDE, because I see no way that can be done with the handle I have. This handle only locks or unlocks the door from the inside Unless there is a piece missing. I have attached a picture of what I have going on, please take a look and let me know

Attachments

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
OK I'm must be missing something or this cargo van did not come with any way to open the sliding side door from the INSIDE, because I see no way that can be done with the handle I have. This handle only locks or unlocks the door from the inside Unless there is a piece missing. I have attached a picture of what I have going on, please take a look and let me know
You have all you need unless a part is broken off the back of the handle. Remove the handle by removing one visible screw and one more screw hidden underneath a plug on the left of the handle. Once you have it removed, look at the back and there should be an arm with a slot. The slot corresponds to a lever on the lock mechanism. When the handle is properly installed with the latch lever, the handle should be flat with it's housing. PM me if you need more help, I can photo the latch and show you the lever.

surlyoldbill

These handles break at the plastic hinge if things aren't "just right" or the latch/rod/mechanism are sticky. Clean the crap out of everything with WD40, wipe off, and then use a good light lubricant. New handles are under $30 on ebay. I'm on my third, and I've beefed it up with steel supports and JB Weld.

Dasveed

2020 144 wb 2500 SHC
Thanks for the reply. After an hour 'playing with it' I see that the little plastic hand on the handle is not staying engaged with the lever that operates the mechanism. I can get it to open the door but then doesn't have enough throw to lock when I push the handle in. Inversely when I get the 'hand' engaged on the lever in the lock position I don't have enough throw to open the door! I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
Thanks for the reply. After an hour 'playing with it' I see that the little plastic hand on the handle is not staying engaged with the lever that operates the mechanism. I can get it to open the door but then doesn't have enough throw to lock when I push the handle in. Inversely when I get the 'hand' engaged on the lever in the lock position I don't have enough throw to open the door! I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help
More than likely your problem is the red outlined lever. Make sure it is straight. When it is properly adjusted, the inside handle fits flat.

Attachments

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
You have all you need unless a part is broken off the back of the handle. Remove the handle by removing one visible screw and one more screw hidden underneath a plug on the left of the handle. Once you have it removed, look at the back and there should be an arm with a slot. The slot corresponds to a lever on the lock mechanism. When the handle is properly installed with the latch lever, the handle should be flat with it's housing. PM me if you need more help, I can photo the latch and show you the lever.
skill3, I am trying to remove that handle. When you refer to a screw "one more screw hidden underneath a plug on the left of the handle" please clarify if the hidden screw is to the left or to the right of the screw I can see.

I see a bump to the right of the screw and have tried to imagine that as a plug but it's a darned tight plug that I can't get out. I'm hoping there's something to the left of the screw that I'm just not seeing.

Top Bottom