noisy transfer box

robybara

Hi, Ive got a 2001 313cdi 4x4 sprinter thats got a noise coming from the transfer box, we have taken off the shaft from the box to the front diff and this has stopped the noise. we suspect a failing bearing just inside the box behind the front flange that connects to the front propshaft. my question is , does anyone have any experience of spliting a transfer box on theese vans and changing the bearing on the shaft? running it on 2 wheel drive at the moment and its perfect. rob.

Eric Experience

Rob.
Where are you located? My guess would be that the drive shaft is noisy. How many K's has your vehicle done? 3 of mine have done over 250 with no noises. Eric

gemiadami

Hi, Ive got a 2001 313cdi 4x4 sprinter thats got a noise coming from the transfer box, we have taken off the shaft from the box to the front diff and this has stopped the noise. we suspect a failing bearing just inside the box behind the front flange that connects to the front propshaft. my question is , does anyone have any experience of spliting a transfer box on theese vans and changing the bearing on the shaft? running it on 2 wheel drive at the moment and its perfect. rob.
Hi I have got a 2001 413cdi 4x4 sprinter and we have same problem. ı need help also.

robybara

Hi Eric Im in the uk Swansea. van has only done 80,000 miles. but the shaft looks and feels perfect. we had it running with wheels off the ground and a mad mechanic underneath with a listening stethascope thingy, hes convinced that the noise is coming from the flange on the transfer box probably the bearing on the shaft. I will take the shaft to be checked out though, we have a local propshaft rebuild garage pretty close so they can put it on a machine to make sure. looks pretty simple to get the box off but not sure whats involved in changing the bearing (if its cooked.)

robybara

youve lost me there mate too technical for me.. when I turn the flange on the transfer box by hand it does feel and sound rough, not smooth at all,got to be the problem I think, Ive now had the shaft checked and its good. Icant take the transfer box off yet because I,m waiting for my mate to do some spraying on the van and dont want to disable it. Will probably be a couple of weeks before we try and tackle the problem properly.

Top Bottom