LTV insurance question

MarkCooperstein

2014 Unity TB
Does anybody know how the LTV Unity is classified? Is it a class B or class C? It makes a difference when trying to get an insurance rate, so I'd really like to know. :thinking:

mumkin

The Serenity and Unity are not B, it is definitely a Class C. A Class B is built inside of what came from the factory as a van - the Free Spirit is a Class B.

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
I know Mumkin is gonna fight me on this one. But I like to call it a class B+, since it doesn't have a cab over sleeper (cab as in 'C').

It really is open to interpretation. But the Unity's have been around long enough that it is no mystery to insurance companies that insure RV's, that they will know what to rate/classify it as. You should be less than $500 year for insurance. At least that is what we pay under the Good Sam insurance policy.

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
I know Mumkin is gonna fight me on this one. But I like to call it a class B+, since it doesn't have a cab over sleeper (cab as in 'C').

It really is open to interpretation. But the Unity's have been around long enough that it is no mystery to insurance companies that insure RV's, that they will know what to rate/classify it as. You should be less than $500 year for insurance. At least that is what we pay under the Good Sam insurance policy.
I got a similar rate/treatment from Progressive and they also knew exactly what the LTV Unity was.

The criteria I keep hearing is that the Unity can't be a true class B because it is based on a cab chassis and not a van but at the same time if a "true C" has a cab over sleeper this would also not include the Unity. While B+ is a fuzzy term it seems to fit more often than not.

mumkin

I agree that it should be called a C- as it is definitely a Class C built on a cutaway chassis as defined by the RVIA (If you go to the RVIA website and look at their photos of what constitutes a Class C, you will find the View Profile and the Navion iQ as examples). The defining factor is quite simple... the platform it is built on. The bed over the cab is irrelevant. After all, my first RV was a classic Class B from Great West Vans and it had a bed over the cab. But it was all built inside the body of a Ford E350 van. Thus it was a B. These wide body units built on a cutaway chassis are all Class C's - no matter that some salesman seems to think that calling it a B+ is sexier. What EXACTLY is the plus here? We take away a bed and then label it a "plus"? All this has done is added huge confusion to the market.

joeframer44

2014 Unity MB/U-lounge
We are paying $733 from Progressive. This is for full coverage, including replacement cost of the vehicle and maximum liability coverage. I valued the replacement cost at $125K. Also keep in mind that I live in Orange County, California, so I'm sure that our rates are higher than in many states and probably Canada. It's pretty hard to do an apples to apples comparison because of the geographical differences in rates.

Joe

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
Just like real estate, with insurance too it is location, location, location. Here in Wisconsin, I am paying $695 with Progressive and with the same limits as joeframer44.
I checked a lot of companies and Progressive just beat the pants off the rest by a large margin.

Bob

Kozad

I was just recently searching for Insurance in BC, Canada and the category of Class of motorhome is as you know important! LTV's website notes the Unity & Serenity as Class B+.

Insurance Companies (at least in BC) do not recognize a Class B+ designation, rather only Class C & B. Interestingly two of the more competitive insurance brokers do not even offer insurance on a Class B....

Bottom line is insurance is more expensive in B.C., somewhere between $1250 to $1500 for full replacement coverage.

Now I will go and redo the quotes for our Unity as a Class C!

Francois

I was just recently searching for Insurance in BC, Canada and the category of Class of motorhome is as you know important! LTV's website notes the Unity & Serenity as Class B+.

Insurance Companies (at least in BC) do not recognize a Class B+ designation, rather only Class C & B. Interestingly two of the more competitive insurance brokers do not even offer insurance on a Class B....

Bottom line is insurance is more expensive in B.C., somewhere between $1250 to $1500 for full replacement coverage.

Now I will go and redo the quotes for our Unity as a Class C!
Welcome to Canada!...I expect the same permium...about double of US prices

mikegusto

Thank-you for the info regarding Class C for Unitys. Was thinking it would be around $1700 here in BC, Canada. Going with basic ICBC and Private optional insurance. Will find out exactly when we take delivery early May and will post our crazy expensive rates compared to US prices!

deblue

Our 2011 Unity Leisure travel Vans Model class B Foremost insurance Company, Cost of policy is $1009.00 Coverage is for $500,000 Liability each person/each accident,
Property damage liability $100,000, Uninsured motorists coverage $100,000 each person/ $300, each accident, Underinsured motorists bodily injury limst same as PDL.
Unity damage actual cash value up to $116,000 for other collision and also for collision less $1000 deductibel, other coveragess vacation liablity $10,000. emergencyexpense $750., towing and roadsid assistance $250, each disablement, PP $1000, less $1000 deductible.

Last edited:

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
I paid $1050 last August in BC, Canada. I don't have the policy here so I can't quote the coverage. 2011 Mercedes/2012 Unity.

mumkin

That makes sense as there really is no such thing as a B+. When Leisure Travel was a private company, they properly called the Serenity and Unity as Class Cs. But, after Triple E purchased LTV, they forced use of the salesman's term of B+.

In the US, I don't believe that this makes any difference or at least, I was never asked this question. The insurance rates seem to based on the value of the vehicle. And as we all know, these units ain't cheap!! :eek:

Of course, the reality is that a Class B does much better in a major accident that a Class C. If I had the choice, I would prefer to roll a Class B than a Class C... as I've seen accidents where a Class C just disintegrates into kindling from a rollover. That said, I'd rather be in the cab of our little Class C's than in a Class A in the same circumstance.

But... I do digress... and I hope none of us ever test my theories...

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
I paid $1050 last August in BC, Canada. I don't have the policy here so I can't quote the coverage. 2011 Mercedes/2012 Unity.
I now have the policy in front of me. It is all through ICBC (government insurance). I have $2 million third party liability, $500 deductible on collision, and $300 on comprehensive. We get a claim-rated scale discount of 43% and an over 65 discount. The policy lists the Territory as X and the Rate Class as 055. Declared value $112,000. Includes licence fee of $63.

Last edited:

corvbumz

2014 Silver MB
So - just a quick reality check:

We just received a quote on our 2014 MB due for delivery next week. With fairly low coverage ($100K/$250K), our quote from Progressive is $1244. After a little investigation, found that part of the high cost is age related: premium jumped $200 when we added the elder spouse.

Bummer. :frown: Was hoping your reports of $500 - $750 would pan out into a little savings.

Oh well.

Tuktu

2010 Regency GT, Triple E
We are in the process of getting insurance and it is a ordeal. We live in Canada , I think, but one would not know it when you try to get insurance. (we live in Nunavut, Northern Canada).

So I understand that insurance has to be issued to where you live and that is the problem as we live in a part of the country that has few roads (they are all in the communities).

So to date I have one quote at $3500.00 and the only other so far is from our home/auto agent who no longer is a broker for one of the main RV insurance companies, at 1100.00 and they are telling me that is expensive. Guess what, looks like they are my friends.

Just wanted to add to the conversation.

Thanks

tuktu

RobCS

2015 Unity TB
I just called GEICO today to check on insurance rates for our upcoming TB. They said that because the value of the Unity TB is over $100,000, they only insure it for "actual cash value", not "total loss value", so I guess that's not "full replacement". Also, since we have a GEICO policy for our cars, it is added on to that policy and includes the same coverage plan as the cars have. For light use (less than 30 days per year), the cost in Central Florida is about $450 per year. I will have to check with Progressive and a few other companies, like AAA, etc. Any others to recommend?

Top Bottom