need scan tool or borrow

Jodean

so ive been looking through all these threads about scan tools

but which one or which cheapest one can clear my trans limp mode after i get this new plate in?

anyone doing a share or exchange with the scan tool? id be happy to buy or borrow even at full price if i knew it would go somewhere needed when im done with it.

not sure if anyone has done this but i could paypal the money, then it could be refunded when i send it back, of course i would include more for shipping and your time or what not.

Im willing to also buy one to loan out or do a continuous exchange, like if somone needs it send it there, they keep it till the next guy needs it then send it on again. Each time forwarding the cost of tool to next guy. Everyone would be paid back each time they send it out. Thoughts??

Jodean

Ya ive looked

im in South Dakota i think it showed far east MN or Des Moine IA which are all 5 or more hours away

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
If you were within 100 miles of me, I would drive up and help with my DAD, however because of its rarity (and because things often get screwed up if I loan things out), My DAD travels and stays with me at all times. I don't charge anything for doing this. However, I am in Colorado Springs, so you are not near enough to me.

You are right about needing a tool to do the reset with. You will need to reset the transmission twice (first one sets up the TCM to recognise that the Valve Body and Solinoids are working again. The 2nd reset tells the ECU to take the transmission out of Limp Mode - lots of lights on the dash get lit up until you do the 2nd reset).

I had to change my transmission Valve Body once (and I have rest another persons transmission errors after they changed the Valve Body).

lindenengineering

so ive been looking through all these threads about scan tools

but which one or which cheapest one can clear my trans limp mode after i get this new plate in?

anyone doing a share or exchange with the scan tool? id be happy to buy or borrow even at full price if i knew it would go somewhere needed when im done with it.

not sure if anyone has done this but i could paypal the money, then it could be refunded when i send it back, of course i would include more for shipping and your time or what not.

Im willing to also buy one to loan out or do a continuous exchange, like if somone needs it send it there, they keep it till the next guy needs it then send it on again. Each time forwarding the cost of tool to next guy. Everyone would be paid back each time they send it out. Thoughts??

OK you have asked for thoughts!
My first flash is an expression ripping through my thought cells---The Road to Rome is paved with good intentions.
followed by
No good deed goes unpunished

So what happens when you loan/rent it out and it gets compromised by someone innocently plugging it into an OBD2 Mil port and because the test vehicles has had someone doing some crazy radio/cassette DIY wiring the ground is live and it fries the scanner.

I don't know why I am asking this because YOU should know as well an me in the REAL world the thing will get flung back in the case after the smoke has been let out and sent back with not a word ---until the next bloke gets it and it no workee!

So you go back to the guy the screwed it up and you get --Wasn't me ol son I'm not paying for that !

Its bad enough in controlled conditions like a workshop where MR Nobody lives. I cannot imagine letting an expensive scanner out in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it. Quite frankly its a bit like letting someone loose who has never been trained to drive a train; then to sit in the cab of that very same train and drive it from Washington to Boston at 150mph.
Result sooner or later:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF257zxgil0

Get the picture?
Dennis

Jodean

each person buys the tool for the $500 or whatever dollars.

If the last person gets it nonfunctional, thats why paypal has the refund option and dispute.

Anyhow, all persons would be members of this forum and if that happened, well they would be called out.

I have it at Dodge, hope they know what to do, they said $75 to clear codes, hope they get everything done right without second trip.

It felt like driving a tractor only going 25 the whole way there!!!

jecottrell

Dodge pulled codes recently on mine. They gave me an estimate for $1,600 to fix everything.

I asked "Did you drive it?"... No.

"Do you know what the original complaint was?"... No. (It was transferred there from my regular mechanic that couldn't get to it for a while.)

Thank-you, I'll be down to pick it up in 30 minutes. Drove fine when I picked it up. The EGR had gotten stuck at the end of a long trip. Apparently when it cooled, it came unstuck.

Lesson: Do your own research and troubleshooting. Unless you have a Sprinter expert, no one knows the peculiarities of the Sprinter, not even dealers.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
If you order a replacement EGR gasket from Europarts SD for your year Sprinter, you can can pull off the EGR and give it a good cleaning. I use SeaFoam Spray every spring on mine. Make sure everything moves (snaps back in place) when done. Don't take the EGR apart, just take it off and clean it. The 2002/2003 comes off easily. The 2004/2005/2006 may require a rubber mallet to get off the manifold.

jecottrell

I'm pretty sure my problem (stuck EGR) resulted from me getting lazy. When I purchased the van used, I was advised by the previous owner to clean the EGR at every oil change. The last iteration I skipped it. Coupled with longer than normal oil change periods, I'm pretty sure I'm my own worst enemy.

Jodean

got van back, they cleared the codes, transmission works great!!

other codes were tcc solonoid, and glow plug not working and also glow plug controller.

Those must have been set prior to purchase cause it started all winter until it was -20F

So no more service light except the brake light, which i checked the pads, seems like 40,000 more miles to me anyway no sense in replacing good parts. My current daily driver chevy 1500 express i have over 100,000 miles on the brakes and they don't need pads yet.....hmm....stupid mercedes lights!!!!

Now to find out how it pulls, if it dont pull like i want its going up for sale.

lindenengineering

Just check you have the right bulbs in the tail lights and hi mount lamp.

Water often gets into the hi mount due to a carcked lens and causes short downs.
Those that foolishly pit single contact bulbs will get brake can faults and ABS trip outs and funky transmssion codes.
Dennis

Sprinter SS

I'm pretty sure my problem (stuck EGR) resulted from me getting lazy. When I purchased the van used, I was advised by the previous owner to clean the EGR at every oil change. The last iteration I skipped it. Coupled with longer than normal oil change periods, I'm pretty sure I'm my own worst enemy.
Oh no EmersonBiguns! Tell me you have not become lax on maintenance on the old 03! That thing had been maintained like a German U-Boat. That's a good van....

Top Bottom