Radiator Hoses - when to replace?

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
My radiator hoses on my '02 w/ 125000 miles are over 12 years old now. It seemed as though for older cars we had a regular maintenance schedule for radiator hoses. However the ones on my Sprinter show no external sign of checking/oxidizing, rotting or ballooning. Further, I seem to recall only a few posts about radiator hoses - which seems to indicate hoses on the Sprinter are not a common problem - yet.

Any one know the recommended replacement cycle for these hoses?
If you have replaced hoses, when and why?

Thanks

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
i replaced my hoses when I changed the water pump (at around 185,000 miles). The old ones still looked good. I replaced my Turbo hoses at the same time (there were lots of small cracks in them), so I figured that I may have issues that I don't see that could fail while on a trip. My old Water pump was still ok too, however, I have never had a vehicle water pump with that many miles on it before and I replaced a lot of related parts as a preventative maintenance step.

I think that the HOAT anti-freeze used in the Sprinter is very easy on the hoses.

shortshort

Dis member
Same as Jmoller. Swapped the hoses when the water pump went at about 185k. Tighten the sh*t out of the hose clamps. I had several weep a bit over time after applying what I thought was adequate torque.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Same as Jmoller. Swapped the hoses when the water pump went at about 185k. Tighten the sh*t out of the hose clamps. I had several weep a bit over time after applying what I thought was adequate torque.
Thanks for that insight, I just had a low coolant level light come on, and a clamp was loosed just enough to start a slow weep of coolant.

Dingo

I replace hoses whenever i spot cracks in the rubber , i can see that the hose is ballooning around the clamp or when i squeeze a cold hose and it feels hard or more strangely "crunchy " when you squash it in your hand .

I have also stopped using jubilee clips & use Norma clamps instead
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W2-NORMA-...41996?var=430098664651&_trksid=p2054897.l5663

These spread the load over more of the hose & fitting it goes on , uses a bolt head to tighten so you can always tighten them fully BUT remove them again afterwards , the insert under the thread also stops the clamp cutting into the rubber . I also use them to fix exhaust section togeather instead of U-bolts as they do not crush the pipes into each other , making dis-assembly easy , if you need to :thumbup:

Top Bottom