2008 Diesel Engine schematics

kmessinger

Is there a place I can get a general shot of the engine? The om shows oil, brake and coolant but I would like to know what some of the other visible parts are. I don't mind paying a reasonable price if need be.

I know nothing about diesels except the basic theory of how they work. Do I still need to worry about the EGR valve? How about the turbo resonator - do I even have one? And what cylinder does the beer come out of . . . ?

Changing filters, brakes etc. will be no great problem - I have years of experience on gasoline engines and have read all the comments here on fuel/water filter, etc.

I do plan to carry a fuel filter, oil filter and serpentine belt. Carried those for years with Eurovan - never used them but it was nice having them just in case. I had all the data for the Eurovan, BTW, wiring, plumbing, engine, etc. and hope to build a library for the Sprinter.

Regards,

Keith
2008, 2500 Sportsmobile Sprinter
100 days until Alaska

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
In North America, the 2007 Service Manual from Chrysler is about the most thorough reference available at this time. I don't think there are many - if any - mechanical differences between 2007 and 2008 North American Sprinters.

More info in this thread.

If by "shot," you mean picture, search the web for images of MB OM 642.

If by "shot," you mean "technical overview," if if the Service Manual ($120) is too expensive or too details, you could also blow $60 dollars on a MB-USA, LLC service dvd for a vehicle like the GL320. The MB-USA, LLC manuals are superior to anything by Chrysler. I think the GL320 cdi has the same v6 diesel as our North American 2007/2008 Sprinters.

Call 1-800-367-6372 for more info on MB manuals. Just don't say "Sprinter." MB-USA, LLC doesn't have anything to do with Sprinters. Some of MB-USA, LLC employees get a little gruff when it comes to we ChryslerVans, LLC product owners calling about the MB engineering under our hoods.

Other resources for OM642 care and feeding may include forums such as the one on www.mercedesshop.com.

-Jon

Last edited:
D

dilleyoshempy

Gesh im stupid! i meant the service manual not owners manual! :bash:

kmessinger

I looked at the service manuals but none I could find run on Vista or IE7. Does the one you write of, 2007 Service Manual from Chrysler, work on Vista?

I did look at some pictures but the car engine looks like it is covered with a panel and has no nomenclature anyway.

Chiltons has a 2 volume SM for $112. Not a bad price but I really don't need the information on all other Chrysler vehicles. I'm going to see if I can look at this at a local book store and see how much info they have on the Sprinter.

Thanks!

Regards,

Keith

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I looked at the service manuals but none I could find run on Vista or IE7. Does the one you write of, 2007 Service Manual from Chrysler, work on Vista?

I did look at some pictures but the car engine looks like it is covered with a panel and has no nomenclature anyway.

Chiltons has a 2 volume SM for $112. Not a bad price but I really don't need the information on all other Chrysler vehicles. I'm going to see if I can look at this at a local book store and see how much info they have on the Sprinter.

Thanks!

Regards,

Keith
I didn't think the Chilton's Service Manual covered 2007/2008 Sprinters. That's news to me and in light of that, I'd say go for the Chilton's product.

The 2007 Sprinter Service Manual that I have does not work with MAC/OS (it requires Active-X) and does not work with Vista or IE 7.

Techauthority.Com is the Service Manual distributor.

Bluntly, neither Techauthority or Chrysler adequately assure proper training with regards to Sprinter sales, parts supplyh, marketing literature, technical literature, or the vehicle themselves.

I would not trust Techauthority to assure their service reps could tell you, the buyer, if the CD actually has been updated since I bought one, tell you if it works with Vista or tell you it works with IE 7.

There are no revision numbers on my CD. Without revision control, there is no way they can know what version they are selling, no way to know what revision you have in your hand (original or new and improved).

If you can review the Chilton's publishing and determine the Sprinter information is for a V6 Sprinter, that is to say Chrysler "VB" body style, and not "VA" (T1N), then I'd have to say it's a better option for you.

You must bear in mind, the 2007/2008 "VB" designation is Chrysler's designation. The colloquial OEM designation is NCV3.

I've observed many sources of information do not know the difference between 2002-2006 and 2007/2008 Sprinters. I would hope that Chilton's would do their homework, properly.

-Jon

Last edited:
D

dilleyoshempy

My service manuals are in pdf format, works on both mac and pc, I have them both on Leopard and XP, im pretty sure it would work on Vista also...

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I think the service manual Dilleyoshempy is talking about is for the T1N which is in PDF format.

The NCV3, afaik, is in some lame format that doesn't work in vista and only in xp. :thumbdown: They were suppose to change that, but I haven't heard anything.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I think the service manual Dilleyoshempy is talking about is for the T1N which is in PDF format.

The NCV3, afaik, is in some lame format that doesn't work in vista and only in xp. :thumbdown: They were suppose to change that, but I haven't heard anything.
The 2007 service CD from Chrysler's partner "Techauthority" - which I purchased last year - is in a lame format as Seek indicates.

Techauthority used to have a disclaimer on their website about the service manual that said as much.

The disclaimer - about not working with Vista is gone - but the format is still not PDF.

---
2007 SPRINTER (VB) SERVICE MANUAL ON CD - Part Number: 81-370-07070CD
$120.00

THIS NEW CD IS ALL NEW FORMAT FOR 2007. THE WIRING DIAGRAMS ARE NOW IN COLOR AND CONTAIN LINKS TO ALTERNATIVE VIEWS LOCATED WITHIN THE WIRING DIAGRAMS USING XML & SVG!

SERVICE INFORMATION IS DIVIDED INTO GROUPS, WHICH CONTAIN DESCRIPTION, OPERATION, DIAGNOSIS, TESTING, ADJUSTMENTS, REMOVAL, INSTALLATION, DISASSEMBLY, AND ASSEMBLY PROCEDURES FOR THE SYSTEMS AND COMPONENTS. ALSO CONTAINED IN THESE GROUPS IS ALL RELEVANT ELECTRONIC DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION.

---

Call Techauthority and ask about system requirements: 800-890-4038

-Jon

D

dilleyoshempy

if anyone would like to send me the 2007+ service manual, i will convert it into a pdf format

Top Bottom