Picture or parts diagram request. Rear door catches?!

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I'm trying to sort out some of the last little items on my 2004 158". My rear doors actually work very well but could be a bit tighter fit to prevent water and rattles.

This is what the ghetto fab door catches look like now. :lol:

Top.

Bottom

What should they look like? What parts seem to be missing here?

bc339

It looks like you will need these as a minimum:

3 - 5104428AA, Door Latch Striker Plate
4 - 5104536AA, Retainer (2ea)
11 - 5104536AA, Retainer (4 - need to verify)
12 - 5104425AA, Rear Door Scuff Plate

The Door Adjustment Guide may help in rigging.

Bruce

Attachments

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
So it looks like #3 is missing from the top and #12 from the bottom. Anyone know if #12 is the plastic trim or a metal latch plate?

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
So is there some sort of latch or is my van beaten down so far they had to add these ghetto fab latch spacers?

sailquik

Cole,
I believe (it's been a long time since I had a T1N 3500) that the entire plastic striker plates (top and bottom are missing
from your Sprinter.
I see the spare tire carrier bolts sticking up out of the sheet metal on the lower area of your Sprinter rear interior (under the doors).
Those 2 bolt heads will be recessed fairly deeply in the plastic sill that goes over the top.
I think the little guides (5 & 13 in the pic) go into the square holes in the sheet metal under the upper and lower plastic plates.
Looks like you may have some sheet metal straightening to do to get the plastic parts to fit correctly.
Looks like # 4 and 11 in the pic are the square plastic devices that hold the plastic parts to the sheet metal underneath.
Any wrecked 2003 Sprinters in your area.....most should have all these parts intact.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Here are shots of my 2005's Passenger Wagon striker areas.
Note that only the 2nd door (left side: the one that doesn't have the handle and door lock) has bars that lock into the body.
The 1st door (right side) just grabs onto the 2nd door via the lock mechanism.

Upper strike plate (plastic): (item (3) in the earlier parts diagram)(with three plastic retainer clips)

rearupperstriker.jpg

Lower skuff plate (plastic): (item (12) in the earlier parts diagram)(this plate has a total of 7 of the lower square retainer clips)

rearlowerstriker.jpg

--dick

Last edited:

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
So do these doors just normally lock into the plastic cover? Or does that metal hole come up flush with the plastic cover?

When I shut my doors they latch onto those ghetto fab metal tabs that are half assed on there.

The plastic lower cover on mine was clearly broken off since there are remnants of it on the outer edges.

You can see a bit of sky through the right side door when shut. So I want to fix this before putting a bed back there!

Last edited:

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Cole,
I believe (it's been a long time since I had a T1N 3500) that the entire plastic striker plates (top and bottom are missing
from your Sprinter.
I see the spare tire carrier bolts sticking up out of the sheet metal on the lower area of your Sprinter rear interior (under the doors).
Those 2 bolt heads will be recessed fairly deeply in the plastic sill that goes over the top.
I think the little guides (5 & 13 in the pic) go into the square holes in the sheet metal under the upper and lower plastic plates.
Looks like you may have some sheet metal straightening to do to get the plastic parts to fit correctly.
Looks like # 4 and 11 in the pic are the square plastic devices that hold the plastic parts to the sheet metal underneath.
Any wrecked 2003 Sprinters in your area.....most should have all these parts intact.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Thanks. Unfortunately, no parts Sprinters locally. I don't mind buying new parts in many cases. Just makes the van newer:crazy:

I prefer to have a secure rear door as I'm sure my dogs might bump up against it occasionally.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So do these doors just normally lock into the plastic cover? Or does that metal hole come up flush with the plastic cover?
The secure locking/latching is done by the vertical push rods passing through the open square holes and being secured by the holes you have in the body metal.

The "ghetto fab" pieces you have act like the OEM plastic pieces to help center the door in a vertical direction and help keep it from rattling. They also serve to keep the latching rods from disengaging if the door is pushed up or down (or bounces as you go over potholes).

That's why the plastic is called a "scuff plate"... fittings on the top and bottom of the door (parts (2) and (10) in the diagram) ride on them to hold the door in place.

--dick

Top Bottom