Windshield

ddev

About a year ago I had Safelite repair chip in my windshield. Today, I noticed that two of the small crack lines have run across the windshield. I did have some snow on the windshield earlier this week. But, I also switched some front tires around. I jacked up one side at a time under a frame plate next to the lower A-arm until I was an inch off the ground. Is there enough flex in the frame or body that jacking up one side at a time could cause a windshield the crack? The damage may have been don't before I even jacked the wheel up. I just don't know. But I hate coincidence.

Mike5999

Nooooooooooo. I jacked my sprinter up about 6 inches above the ground to change shocks. And my windsheild is still good and its a aftermarket windsheild to!!! Unless you have had a front end crash and broke something.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I have a self-repaired stone crack on my windshield (and the original crack exceeded the glue circle) in the low center of the glass.
Since then i have jacked up the individual front wheels to change them, using the Sprinter's bottle jack.
No enlargement of crack.

But: heat/cold can cause a crack to run, and it's always possible twisting of the windshield may have had an effect.
Where the crack is on the glass (near the edge? (i.e. less than two inches from the edge)) will also contribute to how "touchy" it is.

Compare your lifting to your normal driving areas... have you hit a lot of potholes/railroads/speedbumps since the original repair?
(if "yes", then simply jacking shouldn't have bothered it)
I've had cracks on another car run a bit when hacking at ice with a scraper.
I've also had cracks run the full height of the window within half a minute of the original stone hit. It happens.

--dick

MikeHowe

2003 Sprinter 413 CDi
My windshield cracked at the bottom because of rust bubbling up from the frame. The crack eventually got worse and before I could replace the windshield I had to have the rust on the frame repaired. Not sure if that is an issue with you or not?

david_42

Glass cracks can be fine for years and then suddenly propagate for no reason. I had a crack the rear window in my old Volvo 145 for 6 years, then one morning the window was completely shattered.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Glass cracks can be fine for years and then suddenly propagate for no reason. I had a crack the rear window in my old Volvo 145 for 6 years, then one morning the window was completely shattered.
Most cars use "AS 1" laminated safety glass for the front windshield,
and "AS 2" tempered glass for all of the other windows.
(tempered is cheaper)

If cracked/heavily scratched, a tempered glass window will completely shatter (with non-sharp edges on the pieces).

The glass in the front windshield is not tempered, but depends upon the glass/plastic/glass layered sandwich to keep it more-or-less intact during impact.. Scratches and cracks in one layer (such as a rock chip) will not shatter like the rest of the car's windows.

--dick

ddev

Thanks for the responses. I have been reading about cheap replacement glass. Maybe that is why my estimates are all over the map. What are the better brands of glass that I should be looking for and the ones I should stay away from. ? Any national chain shops that I should avoid?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Thanks for the responses. I have been reading about cheap replacement glass. Maybe that is why my estimates are all over the map. What are the better brands of glass that I should be looking for and the ones I should stay away from. ? Any national chain shops that I should avoid?
When my Sprinter's windshield cracked (rock chip hit the edge.... zing went the crack), i called the local good Dodge Sprinter Dealer (this was in 2006). They told me who they used, a guy who came to my worksite and did it in the parking lot. $300, my choice of glass companies.
Be aware that the T1N cab/chassis windshield is about one inch shorter (top to bottom) than the "regular" bodied models.
Price also varies depending upon color bands, heated glass and whether it has a special "rain sensor" area.

--dick
p.s. when i was shopping window replacement, Novus quoted over $500 for a "bring it to them" replacement.

Last edited:

Top Bottom