PDA

View Full Version : om642 differences beteeen 07-10

KMDE
03-27-2014, 12:15 AM
I need a new motor in my 2010 and need to know what diffetences there is. Does the DEF system effect the motor? There are different part numbers for 09 and 10.

Thanks

jdcaples
03-27-2014, 09:18 AM
I need a new motor in my 2010 and need to know what diffetences there is. Does the DEF system effect the motor? There are different part numbers for 09 and 10.

Thanks

I don't recall anyone performing a quantitative analysis around the differences between the engines.

I can tell you that from 2007 to 2009 - inclusive - that the v6 engines in US and Canadian Sprinters are assigned the value OM642.993.

As of 2010, the US and Canadian Sprinters use the OM642.898 engine.

So yes, they are different, but the differences haven't been exhaustively listed and published by Daimler. I do not know of a document produced by enthusiasts, either.

-Jon

PS: I would also suggest that while DEF doesn't affect the motor parts directly, it does impact the programming of the engine control module.

Trayscott
03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
KMDE, I have 188000 on mine, seems to be great. Bought it used. What happened that you need an engine. If you are able to share we would all appreciate it. Scott

KMDE
03-27-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't recall anyone performing a quantitative analysis around the differences between the engines.

I can tell you that from 2007 to 2009 - inclusive - that the v6 engines in US and Canadian Sprinters are assigned the value OM642.993.

As of 2010, the US and Canadian Sprinters use the OM642.898 engine.

So yes, they are different, but the differences haven't been exhaustively listed and published by Daimler. I do not know of a document produced by enthusiasts, either.

-Jon

PS: I would also suggest that while DEF doesn't affect the motor parts directly, it does impact the programming of the engine control module.

Thanks JD for the info.

KMDE, I have 188000 on mine, seems to be great. Bought it used. What happened that you need an engine. If you are able to share we would all appreciate it. Scott

Yeah our motor had 106xxx on it and running better than it did new! I didn't have the oil filter seated properly. Either to loose, to tight one way or another oil shot out during a short highway trip and before I could respond/know the motor seized.