Beware of DEF on sale.

mofo989

I bought some Valvoline DEF today from NAPA... On sale for around $10 for 2.5gal. When I got home I noticed the manufacture date was Jan 2013. The datasheet says not to use it after a year. This stuff has a shelf life, don't buy extra when it goes on sale, that's for sure!

lindenengineering

Yes you are asking for trouble buying old DEF fluid.

I do know of a fleet operator who bought 500 gallons in anticipation of future use--suffice to say it went stale stored in the yard and caused his Fords to fault out due to imbalances on the Urea content!

Spendy mistake!
Dennis

Kat

Katmobile
If there are any truck stops near you you should check to see if they have DEF at the pump. The Pilot truck stop near me has it and it's cheaper than buying it in jugs.

Kat

david_42

Urea decomposes to ammonia fairly quickly. There must be a stabilizer of some kind for it to last a year.

I bought some Valvoline DEF today from NAPA... On sale for around $10 for 2.5gal. When I got home I noticed the manufacture date was Jan 2013. The datasheet says not to use it after a year. This stuff has a shelf life, don't buy extra when it goes on sale, that's for sure!
From what I've read, the same goes for storing it in a hot vehicle. Heat causes it to break down more quickly.

It seems to me that given the lead time to no-start after the DEF level warning there is no reason to stockpile the stuff unless you're far from civilization.

vic

Top Bottom