Member Post saves me $720

larrygee

Recently, my check engine light and glow plug light came on. Sometimes, the glow plug light would stay on for a few minutes and go off. Sometimes it would just stay on.

Anyway, I took to the MB dealer in town. They read the code and said that indeed, number 4. Glow plug was bad and while they are " in there" (as if it were invasive surgery) I should replace the other 3. Total cost $720.

I Had recently read a post by another member which, in articulate detail, laid out the argument as to why this should be a warranty issue. I had copy and pasted it to a word doc, just in case I ever needed to reference it.

The dealer said glow plugs are not a warranty item and that everyone "tries to get it covered out of warranty".

I then regurgitated what I had read on the post that went like this:

"Glow plug under warranty?

Re: Glow Plug - Glow Plug Module
Just encountered the same glow plug light problem. For the last couple weeks my 2008 NCV3 Sprinter has had the glow plug light on intermittently with the check engine light. It also took about 5 to 10 seconds or cranking to start on cool mornings. Brought my 3 year old van with 59K to the dealer and they replaced all the glow plugs and the glow plug module under warranty. All parts and labor were covered under warranty due to the glow plug system being part of the emission system which has a 100K mile warranty. Without the glow plugs working properly the Diesel Particulate Filter cannot regenerate, hence the glow plug system is part of the emission system. I'm sure this would have cost well over $1,000 if it was not covered. Hope it does not happen again in 60K miles! "

So, the service writer grudgingly went back to the service "manager" who said it might be covered under warranty but I'd have to take it to a Dodge dealer.

I asked him to tell me what part of the engine, tranny, chassis was made by Dodge but he declined to educate me and declined to do the repair under warranty.

I contacted MB customer service and the rep was genuinely sorry that I had been caught up in this custody battle between divorced partners. He said he was going to contact the dealer and tell him that a) glow plugs are in fact part of the emissions system and b) Mercedes techs are trained to repair Mercedes, Dodge techs are trained to repair Dodge products. I thought that was a great line!

30 minutes later, I get a call from the MB service writer who sheepishly asks me to come back and they would replace the glow plugs under warranty.

His excuse was that since the build date of the chassis was 2008, the warranty had expired. He did not "realize" that warranty starts when the vehicle first goes into service. In my case, The Winnie wasn't built out and sold until 2010.

That of course was a bunch of bull because he initially said it was a "dodge" issue. The "dodge" warranty is 8/80,000 so it would have been covered under their warranty anyway...

So, I tried to search for the poster above to thank him for his contribution but I couldn't find the post again. I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions. They do make a difference.

kendall69

In my instance the Service manager STUNNED me when I went to pay for my module and glow plug repair - he said NO CHARGE. WHAT , no really WHAT. I already had my wallet out. Not only that but I wanted to tip the mechanic and he advised me that when he needs to replace one glow plug he does them all as part of the service - AGAIN - WHAT? I thought I was in the twilight zone of good service? I saw the invoice and it was well over $1,200.00. :rad:

I was at 50K miles way out of warranty also. :thinking::clapping:

6cyclone6

There was some debate over if the glow plugs were covered for a while. We actually found them to be named as covered under the emissions warranty in MB literature and have warrantied them ever since. If any of you have trouble getting them covered by your dealer have them reference the warranty manual, or email me and I will dig out the document for you. troym@mbobr.com

anomaly

WOW - Really? I had a glow plug fail and didn't realize my 7 year old van is still under some warranty. I'm calling Dodge tomorrow!

Trayscott

All six glow plugs and module replacement at my local Freightliner dealer was 200 over cost of parts I believe, aka two hours. I won't even think about handling it myself for 200 bucks, it was winter too. Ended up being just the module. 720 is expensive. But free, is well free!

anomaly

I've been doing a little more reading on this - AFAICT, my 2007 (with 60k miles) is out of warranty - I don't qualify for the California clause, and section 5.2 (p20-21 of my warranty manual) says "5 years of 100k miles"

I have one bad glow plug, and don't want to do the work myself (or pay for the dealer to do it.)

My mechanic says that since I live in NC, I'm unlikely to have problems with the glow plug being out, and he suggested I either replace it myself or just leave it in the failed state. My check engine light is constantly on, but the computer says "no malfunctions"

Am I out of my mind to just leave it alone?

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Since the glow plugs take part in the dpf regeneration, you MAY end up plugging your dpf sooner if you don't fix it.

Not sure how much one poorly combusting cylinder on you cold starts will do towards plugging your egr valve, if any.

In my case, (2008 Navion on 2007 Dodge Sprinter) I was able to cure glow plug light staying on by replacing the controller, which was very easy to do myself.

I did not have any check engine light for this

johnshmit

I've been doing a little more reading on this - AFAICT, my 2007 (with 60k miles) is out of warranty - I don't qualify for the California clause, and section 5.2 (p20-21 of my warranty manual) says "5 years of 100k miles"

I have one bad glow plug, and don't want to do the work myself (or pay for the dealer to do it.)

My mechanic says that since I live in NC, I'm unlikely to have problems with the glow plug being out, and he suggested I either replace it myself or just leave it in the failed state. My check engine light is constantly on, but the computer says "no malfunctions"

Am I out of my mind to just leave it alone?
Yes. It cost $17 and takes 10 min to replace.

sailquik

Also yes, as your Diesel Particulate Filter depends on your glow plugs to increase engine and exhaust temperatures to regenerate.
How will it regenerate correctly if one or more of your glow plugs aren't working.
Might want to point out to Chrysler Customer Service that the Glow Plugs are an important part of the emissions control system in your
2007 and there for should be warrantied under the 100K emissions warranty.
Even if you have it done at a dealer, if they screw it up, they get to fix it.....under the emissions warranty!
Roger

You should call a Dodge dealer. I have a 2008 with 60k miles and I've had three glow plugs replaced under warranty...all after 36k (one of them was about a month ago). I believe it is in the 100k Emmissions warranty. I'm in Illinois, so CA rule changes wouldn't apply to me.

Top Bottom