PDA

View Full Version : Side Step

Crush
03-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I ordered my 2014 cargo Sprinter with a rear step, but I find myself going in and out of the side door most of the time. I can do this 50 times a day as I get tools and material that I need for each job. I'd like to make it a little easier to get up and down.

Can anyone recommend a step that can be mounted at the side door? Something strong that can handle a lot of abuse.

flman
03-18-2014, 06:34 PM
I ordered my 2014 cargo Sprinter with a rear step, but I find myself going in and out of the side door most of the time. I can do this 50 times a day as I get tools and material that I need for each job. I'd like to make it a little easier to get up and down.

Can anyone recommend a step that can be mounted at the side door? Something strong that can handle a lot of abuse.

I have always just used the door step on all my vans, Econolines, sprinters? Once you put something like that you have to consider clearance issues on the side and underneath

How about this? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/manual-single-step/74959

If it were up to me, I would custom fab something that would hinge to the inner step and fold inside before you close the door, but that would be a pain too.

Maybe this?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/folding-steel-platform-step/54594

Crush
03-18-2014, 06:58 PM
I have always just used the door step on all my vans Me too. But as I get older, I get more and more aches. So I try to do things to make life easier.

After work when I go home and hit the couch, I can feel my knees aching a bit more than usual on days that I am in and out of the van a lot. It's that large 19" step, both up and down.

If I can't find a step that I like, then I may do like your second link and just get (or make) a little item to step onto first for days when I am going to be in and out of the van a lot.

flman
03-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Me too. But as I get older, I get more and more aches. So I try to do things to make life easier.

After work when I go home and hit the couch, I can feel my knees aching a bit more than usual on days that I am in and out of the van a lot. It's that large 19" step, both up and down.

If I can't find a step that I like, then I may do like your second link and just get (or make) a little item to step onto first for days when I am going to be in and out of the van a lot.

19", you must not be heavy loaded, mine is up to the max weight plus a couple hundred pounds, and my step does not seam to be all that high?

If your knees hurt, buy fresh pineapple, and a spiral corer, eat the pineapple as well as the stem. It is like magic for me when I get a tennis elbow out break.

You can also get bromelain pills that are made from the stem of pineapple.

Crush
03-18-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure what weight I am at right now, I am going to assume I have about 1,500 lbs in it. I've always felt that you should stick to around half the payload capacity as your basic setup.

Mercedes specs say the ground to side step is 20.2" and ground to floor height is 27.6". That is for my 144" high roof 2500. The 3500 is even higher.

GaryJ
03-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Crush,

Check out the camper step #320 here: http://www.elkharttool.com/single_rv_steps.html It might be what you need.

Gary

flman
03-18-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure what weight I am at right now, I am going to assume I have about 1,500 lbs in it. I've always felt that you should stick to around half the payload capacity as your basic setup.

Mercedes specs say the ground to side step is 20.2" and ground to floor height is 27.6". That is for my 144" high roof 2500. The 3500 is even higher.

Makes sense the 144 with the shorter WB would be higher, our 2005 140 is much higher then the 2010 170 WB.

I tell you, the 170 with that load is one smooth low rider. :rad:

Crush
03-25-2014, 12:09 AM
With all the guys who use these Sprinters as mobile homes with their wives and kids, I would think a side step would be a lot more common. 20" is a high step.

open country
03-26-2014, 01:40 AM
I agree with you. I use mine as a electrical service van. I have been looking at a set of running boards for mine. Sprinter World as some nice looking ones. I have bought a 3rd man seat from them and also a ladder rack. I'm really pleased with all my purchases from them. So the running boards may be next.

jjmretired
03-26-2014, 03:01 PM
I agree with you. I use mine as a electrical service van. I have been looking at a set of running boards for mine. Sprinter World as some nice looking ones. I have bought a 3rd man seat from them and also a ladder rack. I'm really pleased with all my purchases from them. So the running boards may be next.

I purchased running boards from Sprinter World and was pleased with the quality, easy installation and customer service. I got boards for both sides as well as side and rear grab handles and rear step.

Crush
03-26-2014, 03:02 PM
I've seen the running boards, I'm not really looking for those. Just a small running board/step by the side door.

pfflyer
03-26-2014, 07:05 PM
I have been looking at these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITTW0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OY6UFB2PW2H6&coliid=I1K1ZCBYF7RCB1 Wife says she don't need one but we aren't getting any older. There was a guy that fabricated a step that folds into the slider step out of aluminum. I will do a short search and see if I can find it.

Edit. I thought it was a contributor here but it was a link to another site that is no longer good. It was Z shaped diamond plate(slanted part of Z is 90 deg to top and bottom). When folded it followed the contour of the Sprinter slider step so you still had that step when folded. One part of the Z when folded rested on floor of Sprinter. When folded out it was a lower step. Had angle reinforcements. Build if I remember correctly was mostly aluminum.

flman
03-26-2014, 07:10 PM
I have been looking at these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITTW0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OY6UFB2PW2H6&coliid=I1K1ZCBYF7RCB1 Wife says she don't need one but we aren't getting any older. There was a guy that fabricated a step that folds into the slider step out of aluminum. I will do a short search and see if I can find it.

Actually a shorter step the folds in, would allow you to not have to open it for every time you step in, but would be handy when you are keeping the slider open making multiple trips in and out of the van?

detroitdevo
03-28-2014, 01:09 PM
We had a side step that is electric and full length that automatically extends when the door is open, it's rated at 600lbs and I use it daily getting tools and equipment in and out of the van. It's a dream solution because stepping up in and out of our 2500 got to be a pain after about the 25th time of the day. Ours is for the rear but they make them for the side doors as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25537367@N04/13465278513/in/photostream

http://www.flexi-shelf.com

Clubin
04-18-2014, 02:15 AM
Im ordering mine with the factory installed electric side step it extends when the side door is open. A expensive option but it's done.