PDA

View Full Version : 2011 UK Sprinter. Audio 20. ipod.

Saddlesore1000
03-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi, I'm new here so if this is in the wrong area I apologize.

I'd love to be able to attach an ipod to my van radio. According to the Operating Instructions it's called an Audio 20. I'll try and insert a picture of the actual unit below.

http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/large/627becb6-0a13-421c-9d43-404713ccbb33.jpg

I've been going round and round for ages on the forum trying to find the correct answer and am totally confused by different versions of the radio and whether or not it needs a software fix by a dealer and also what extra MB equipment I need to hook it up.

My van has the buttons on the steering wheel if that makes any difference. I would like to be able to have the ipod out of sight in the glove box and control it from the radio/steering wheel buttons if possible.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Sprinter SS
03-19-2014, 03:32 AM
Saddlesore....(from a fellow Iron Butt Rider)...your sound 20 can be programmed by your dealer for to accept a Aux input for either a regular headphone jack or an optional iPod type plug. Radio has to get removed and you have to use the MB Star system to configure it.

I have the same radio with buttons and a regular Aux plug, only I am on the other side of the pond.

T-Montana
03-19-2014, 10:53 AM
If it takes a trip to dealer and they have to pull the radio just to hook up an iPod and then program the radio with their system sounds like a bunch of money. Maybe go to a shop that sells car audio systems and purchase a new, different radio and have them install it. Probably cost less. Or wait until Apple and Mercedes release the retrofit infotainment center they are developing for used Mercedes that will be operated by the drivers iPhone using Siri and Apple Carplay. I should be out within the year at the latest. (Cringe: saw an article where Apple's english accent voice for Siri is well disliked.)

zipacrosswater
03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I took my radio out and had a local audio store install a feed wire from the back of the radio.
I ran the wire out to the front. I think I paid about $40.

Sprinter SS
03-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Zip.... the T1N vans are a different animal when it comes to the radio programming.