OEM Battery Size

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Mopar 72 series P/N: BB049850AA, Group Size 49, and 850 CCA.

Group 49 Dimensions
Code:
     Millimeters                  Inches    
  L       W       H         L        W          H
 381     175     192        15     6 7/8     7 3/16

Attachments

david_42

Potential connector problem

Just replaced my 2004's battery with a Battery Northwest Group 49. Physically it is the same size, but the posts are slightly further away from the sides because of the battery's cap. The main negative connector was fine, as was the main positive. However, the positive bracket with all of the extra wires would not connect because of two small spacer posts on the back of the bracket. The solution was to use nut as a spacer. That let the bracket posts clear the side of the battery.

I'm tempted to cut the spacer posts off, but I'll try it like this for a while.

IMG_5145.JPG

Last edited:

MBCRUISER2005

Sorry for the reply being slightly off topic... I was wondering what specs (type) the aux. Battery (under the 2005 passenger seat- factory installed setup) should have? The same specs as the primary? Same size? CCA? Dimensions?

This is a new Sprinter (to me) and the PO had no aux. battery in place. I think I have a Dodge(EPC) part number for the battery (A 005 541 1801) but have been unable to get any info on this part (battery).

I have searched all around and have been unable to get an answer.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Mike

2005 2500 MB Cruiser Forrest River

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Sorry for the reply being slightly off topic... I was wondering what specs (type) the aux. Battery (under the 2005 passenger seat- factory installed setup) should have? The same specs as the primary? Same size? CCA? Dimensions?

This is a new Sprinter (to me) and the PO had no aux. battery in place. I think I have a Dodge(EPC) part number for the battery (A 005 541 1801) but have been unable to get any info on this part (battery).

Mike

2005 2500 MB Cruiser Forrest River
The part number, A00055411801, is a Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) part number.
It maps to Dodge part number 5133941AA.

I can't find the answers to your questions about specs like size, CCA etc.... good luck, Mike

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
When my group 49 battery dies, I was considering replacing it with this one.

If that's not right for you, for some reason, I recommend you contact your dealership first, then hit up the usual suspects, NAPA Autoparts, Interstate, Optima.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Mike
2005 2500 MB Cruser Forrest River
Mains start either ED 4 95 Ah or EE8 100Ah aux is E28 100Ah if using AUX mains
Tin two of 88Ah deep cycle or 95-100Ah heavy duty cycle Aux same as NCV 100 Ah Rated to 150 Amp on standard 30 amp fuse
Richard

djc126

Hi. Exide makes a type 49 battery.

In the car it seems to lose it's charge in cold weather (and from the anti-theft LEDs) from sitting - even when it was 2-years old. Which means frequent charging.

But in my opinion the MB batteries are still the best although expensive.

Regards,

Last edited:

josephpampliega

That Braille mentioned above is a good AGM. I used Braille on my other vehicles till I found out Deka manufactures the battery. For Deka the part number is 9AGM49 and is significantly cheaper.

It is an AGM rated for deep discharge according to documentation and so far hasn't failed me and is a direct fit. If you are to purchase make sure it is the part number above as they also make wet cell Group 49 too.

Attachments

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
That Braille mentioned above is a good AGM. I used Braille on my other vehicles till I found out Deka manufactures the battery. For Deka the part number is 9AGM49 and is significantly cheaper.

It is an AGM rated for deep discharge according to documentation and so far hasn't failed me and is a direct fit. If you are to purchase make sure it is the part number above as they also make wet cell Group 49 too.
That's the brand I'll be replacing our stock batteries (100 Amp cranking & 100 Amp Auxiliary Battery factory installed and isolated under passenger seat) with @time of expiration...:thumbup:

http://www.remybattery.com/Products/EURO-Performance---9AGM49__9AGM49.aspx

Thanasis

Summarizing members' input ( that I could find) on STARTER battery replacement options:

Mopar: 72 series p/n BB049850AA, Group 49 CCA:850 , LxWxH: 15" x 6 7/8" x 7 3/16
Deka: 9AGM49 , AGM battery CCA:1035 Cold CCA:900
Braille: B10049 , CCA:1520 Cold CCA: 1115
Energizer: Group 49, CCA 850

Any others?

cahaak

DEKA / East Penn also makes a non AGM version of the group 49 battery that is 1050 / 950 rated. I know they private label it as I bought mine at the local Fleet Farm (Midwest chain) $79.95 on sale for $5 off. Battery works great and it has started my Sprinter in some -0 weather with no problem.

Pretty hard to beat the price and performance of that battery unless you have some different usage needs.

Chris

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I wish I could find that DEKA,but the best choice near me appears to be Sears Diehard Gold for 129 0r 139. (Autozone is $10 more,and NAPA is $200)Normally I would install my own battery,but this is the coach battery under the seat fitment size 49. After reading about the hassle here, the $30 installation charge from Sears might actually be a good deal. Yes? or DIY?

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Summarizing members' input ( that I could find) on STARTER battery replacement options:

Mopar: 72 series p/n BB049850AA, Group 49 CCA:850 , LxWxH: 15" x 6 7/8" x 7 3/16
Deka: 9AGM49 , AGM battery CCA:1035 Cold CCA:900
Braille: B10049 , CCA:1520 Cold CCA: 1115
Energizer: Group 49, CCA 850

Any others?
Sears Diehard Gold fitment 49 $129 on website
Autozone fitment 49 $140 0n website
Napa fitment 49 $200 on website

bc339

I read this from consumer reports a few years ago - pretty useful when trying to decide what battery to buy:

Most (U.S.) auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

Same name, different packaging...

Bruce

Last edited:

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Walmart fitment 49 Everstart (?) $95 best price I have found
I think ill get this for the house battery.
Cannot find any mention on how to remove the drivers seat though.

bc339

Instead of removing the seat, try removing the bottom seat cushion. Under the front of the cushion is an adjustment lever, pull it all the way back and slide the cushion forward and off its track. Easy access to under the seat.

Bruce

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns

If you're going to put in a house battery, you should be more concerned about getting under the passenger seat. Lots more room for a battery. :lol:

Seat cushion comes off the same way.

glas1700

A starting battery isn't designed for use as an auxiliary battery to power lights, etc., unless you plan to never deep cycle it. Look for a true deep cycle battery, although they're probably not easy to find in a Group 49 size. A group 49 Deka AGM may be a reasonable choice.

Byron
07 Navion

Top Bottom