2014 seat brackets / nuts / problem

Karl2014

Starting some DIY projects on my 2014 crew van. After reading on here and hearing it from the dealer, I was under the impression I could move the bench seat back one position by cutting out where marked on the "rubber" flooring and find nuts welded to the metal floor. I cut the rubber, cut through the plywood, and NO nuts anywhere. So now what? Rivnuts aren't strong enough for a legal seat, right?
The good news is I successfully inserted some rivnuts in other areas for L-track. Waiting for my 8020 materials (hopefully Monday).

dynaco1

Did you look beneath the floor for welded nuts? My 14 passenger van has some welded nuts that are concealed from below and some that you can see from below. The rear seat threads are twice as deep and the middle and front bench seat.

Karl2014

Did you look beneath the floor foSr welded nuts? My 14 passenger van has some welded nuts that are concealed from below and some that you can see from below. The rear seat threads are twice as deep and the middle and front bench seat.
So for the concealed from below nuts I would drill from the top and expect to find a nut using the seat bracket as a template... and line up with any visible from below nuts... sound about right?

Karl2014

I couldn't see ANY of the nuts from below so I tried a small drill in the spot that "should" have a nut below based on the rubber cutout and using the seat bracket as a template. I'll tell you, it's a little scary to drill into a brand new Mercedes hoping you will strike oil... actually, oil would be a bad thing. The small drill dropped through the floor and I opened up the hole with about a 5/8" drill and there it was, that nut looked so beautiful.
Thanks for the encouragement :thumbup:

Karl2014

were you able to locate all six nuts for one seat?
Only 1 so far... it was getting late, so more today. The nuts I'm concerned about are the ones right over the fuel tank... but it seems like those should be OK as long as I don't use a long drill since the nut and plate extend about 1/2" below the floor metal. I anticipate finding the other 5 nuts easily after conquering the first one. I've always been a wood-worker, so metal is a bit intimidating to me... getting better at it and, as usual, having the right tools is key.

surfk9

Karl,

Did you get this little project completed? I'm awaiting my 2014 Crew van and plan to do the same.

chriszep

I would love to see some photos of this. Your intention is to move the bench farther back into the cargo area correct? May I ask why? If your doing an RV conversion i would think you would want as much room in the cargo area as possible. I noticed the other day that I can turn my bench seat around and get it to click in to the existing track, giving me a TON of room in my cargo area, but making my ability to access it from the front impossible.

Karl2014

Karl,

Did you get this little project completed? I'm awaiting my 2014 Crew van and plan to do the same.
Yes, completed. 1/2 day project for me... cutting floor, drilling, moving brackets... scary not knowing quite what I was doing but in the end really no need to be scared... all went well, it was just the thought of drilling holes in a brand new MB.
I built a platform from 8020 behind the seat in its new position so there is storage (lots) below and a bed (almost queen) to the bottom of the window panels with the memory foam in place. Still plenty of room for cabinet on door side of the bench and behind the driver's seat, with the Engel frig behind the passenger seat. Leaving this afternoon for the Oregon coast for a few days to test it out. Pics and report to follow.

Top Bottom