PDA

View Full Version : issue with rear doors.

debaser
03-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone, I bought my first sprinter a couple of months ago (2008 ex DHL 311) and am mostly happy with it, one issue I'm having though is that the hazard lights come on with an accompanying alarm in the cab if the rear doors are open when the engine is running. I'm a carpet fitter and often take out a whole house of 5m wide carpets, with every other van I've ever had I've just tied the door up and had the carpets sticking out the back, hazards on permanently isn't an option as I obviously lose indicators. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iain

Eric Experience
03-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Iain
Welcome to the forum.
Your local dealer should be able to reprogram the vehicle to stop the problem. Eric

MillionMileSprinter
03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I purchased a Sprinter that was used as an airport shuttle it's whole life before it finally ended up with me. It has a very annoying alarm that accompanies the backup lights. A BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP kind of thing. I finally got so annoyed with it that I pulled the e-brake, put it in reverse and then went and found the source of the beeping. I unplugged the speaker under the bumper and now it's silent. Ahhhh. Silence.
Eric seems to think it needs to be shut off at the dealership, but before you take it to the dealer, you should look for the source of the beeping and try to unplug it. It would really suck to pay dealership prices for something you can do at home in 5 minutes.
Good luck.

wmlog
03-14-2014, 04:18 PM
I purchased a Sprinter that was used as an airport shuttle it's whole life before it finally ended up with me. It has a very annoying alarm that accompanies the backup lights. A BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP kind of thing. I finally got so annoyed with it that I pulled the e-brake, put it in reverse and then went and found the source of the beeping. I unplugged the speaker under the bumper and now it's silent. Ahhhh. Silence.
Eric seems to think it needs to be shut off at the dealership, but before you take it to the dealer, you should look for the source of the beeping and try to unplug it. It would really suck to pay dealership prices for something you can do at home in 5 minutes.
Good luck.

This was a back-up alarm - a safety feature - and an option on Sprinters.

If you disconnect the alarm it will not function.

--

Back to the concern at hand -

Just my opinion -

The issue at hand, as described, does not sound like a back-up alarm. The fault was identified as '... the hazard lights come on with an accompanying alarm in the cab if the rear doors are open when the engine is running. ..." This is another safety feature. Normal operation requires that the doors be shut all the way during vehicle operation. Your vehicle is operating normally and is simply telling the operator that the doors are not shut.

1 - Close the doors and use a trailer for oversize loads

or

2 - Have a Sprinter Tech eliminate the alarm function (if they will)

or

3 - Live with the properly functioning safety feature.

jdcaples
03-14-2014, 07:23 PM
I ordered the back up alarm because I frequent crowded areas featuring the hazards of inattentive parents + distracted toddlers.

Hint, if you put the thing in reverse for a couple of beeps, then neutral and back to reverse, you'll reduce the volume of the alarm beeps by 50 or 60%.

-Jon

wmlog
03-15-2014, 06:14 AM
My OE back-up alarm finally quit! The aftermarket replacement I bought is kind of cool - without background (ambient) noise, the alarm is not very loud, but as background noise increases, so does the volume. If you yell at it, it will out-yell you!

:cheers: