PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a "new" 2006 Sprinter Wagon?

Electra
04-15-2008, 09:36 PM
I look at Sprinters availablity and pricing of used often. This time around, we're actually making offers! None accepted, but we've actually hit the point of saying yes we are actually going to buy one. (Passenger models)

It occurred to me that an untitled "new" 2006 with less than 50mls or 100mls on it having been sitting in a dealer lot for 2 1/2 years might not be the best idea. :idunno:

I had an older car that sat for a month while I waited for a specialty shop to custom make a part, the car never ran well again. In fact everything started to go on it, not from milage, but age. The hoses cracking, the copper lines even, the sensors. And to think about all the ultra sensitive electrical components in a Sprinter just sitting not used... Chip boards, sensors, Fuel injection settings... Exposed to freezing temps in the winter and internal temps over 100 during the summer. Tires sitting usually are not good either.

If the price is right, go for it? Look for an 06 with some miles? Ditch anything 06 and under for the 07/08 models?

I don't see much difference in vehicle style and function between 04, 05, and 06. Is there a better year in those 3 that I should look for instead?

In fact, 07 used pricing is almost equal to 06 models...

kendall69
04-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Unless the price is so worth it, I wouldn't touch it, besides the 07's have the larger engine etc.
If you have really decided to pull the trigger, get what you want, heck even order one with the bells and whistles YOU want.
The Sprinter in my opinion is not a "buy for now" vehicle, its more of a buy for lifetime vehicle, or a really, really long time vehicle, that's why getting something with everything you can imagine you want for now and tears down the road is worth it.

But something sitting for two years, even the tires are out of date at this point, check the codes, I'll bet the tires were made in 2003.

And with fluids and oils not recirculating, rust builds up inside the engine/tranny from condensation.

Run don't walk away from this deal.

sikwan
04-16-2008, 12:34 AM
If the price is about the same, I would go for the 07. The NCV3's fit and finish are so much nicer than the T1N's.

There are minor differences between the 04-06 T1N's. Only the 03 and older T1N's have the different 5 cylinder. engine.

Electra
04-16-2008, 01:24 AM
I hadn't thought of the internal rusting issue, but you are most certainly right. I found an 06 with 20 miles on it and they said they drove it around the lot regularly, yeah, that does not compute. 20miles 2 1/2 yrs...:thinking: On the other hand, new engines from the factory have been oil coated, how long does that last, how many miles wear it down and then require the 'engine oil' to coat the internal parts regularly?

I made an offer on this perfect for us 06 today. I didn't hear back, so it must be another no deal.

My thought right now -- "Call me back, tell me no to my offer, please, so I can tell you I think you are asking too much for a potential heap of rust from the inside out! Plus having to put 4 new 16" truck tires on it at nearly $200 a piece. I'm offering you a deal and you're too greedy to see it!" Honestly, in this economy, I should be able to insist on 4 new tires paid for by the dealership, plus all dealer fees, tax, title, and license fees included in the the price I'm willing to pay. They should be ringing my phone off the hook begging me to buy their vans!!!

The economy is slow, vehicles like Spritnters are not moving (older ones 03s, 04s they are coming up for sale and being sold their prices are more inline with what the economy can handle). To me, the "new" profit margin is gone in a 2006 still sitting on a dealers lot in 2008. MRSP of 45K on a 2006 in 2008 just ain't going to happen.:crazy: There is a dealer in OK with 42 "new" 2006 Sprinters all cargo still on the lot -- OMG! :wtf:

The price of a "new" 06 is $37 - 39K, the price of a used 06 Sprinter $34 - $39, the price of a used 07 $35 - $39. I made an offer last week on an 07, no deal and the ad said "must sell".

As for buying all I want -- I can't afford the over $50K price tag of an 08. I like the side curtain air bag safety, but there is just no way. If I have $50K today to buy one, I'd wait for the Hybrid model.

I think the 07s are prettier, but really that's my fem side speaking. From a mechanical perspective, I am not convienced I will get the best fuel mileage from an 07 w the V6 and 4.10 axel ratio. I drove a 170" 9 pass last summer, it's the first Sprinter I've ever be able to drive. NICE, turning radius. The dealership ordered it wrong for a customer -- surprise, surprise the customer wanted 10 seasts. Oh and they ordered it no rear heat or we would have seriously considered it.

I like the I5 Engine, "bigger is not always better". I like the lower axel ratio at 3.72. I'm hauling people, I know I will never have enough kids to need the 15 passenger, or 12 passenger of the 08. A modified 9 passenger would be enough for my lifetime, 10 if I must (I'd rather have a 2,2,3 in rear seating). The majority of my driving is city/ town to and from schools, soccer, church, the farm, groceries, whole sale, friends that isn't going to change anytime soon, my youngest is 1. I'm not racing down highways, we do take family trips 1X per year. We do like camping, tent style - we may have to haul a small trailer once or twice a year if we get a 140 or 144 WB model. I don't really want anything bigger than what I have now, it isn't practical for everyday driving and parking in the narrower and narrower and shorter and shorter spots in new doc offices and shopping plazas.

If the fuel economy is no better and no worse on the V6, it would move me to look only at 07s and 08s -- just too sharp of a vehicle to ignor!

I figure if I don't find something now in about 6mo there will be more used 07s and maybe 08s that people defaulted on and were repo'd. Or those foolish dealers sitting with 2006s as 2009s are starting to come out will wise up, my offering price will be lower though.

abittenbinder
04-16-2008, 02:34 AM
There are minor differences between the 04-06 T1N's. Only the 03 and older T1N's have the different 5 cylinder. engine.

"Different engine" is not quite accurate. A different version of the same engine is a better description. The '04-'06 647 version of the 5 cyl was designed to meet tough Ca. emissions and there are pros and cons regarding which version is best.

Regarding if the '07-'08 V6 is an improvement- I will let a quote from someone's EBay auction speak for me. It stated, " For sale- '06 Sprinter, "last of the good ones". Doktor A

Electra
04-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Regarding if the '07-'08 V6 is an improvement- I will let a quote from someone's EBay auction speak for me. It stated, " For sale- '06 Sprinter, "last of the good ones". Doktor A

This was the feeling I was getting having done what research I have done.

So far, no takers on my offers, so I might be Sprinter-less for a while. I've waited this long, I can keep waiting.

BaywoodBill
04-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Hi Electra,
After reading your first post on this thread (and your long and interesting posts on the other threads) I was set to tell you to buy the '06 because the engine is a good one and the van gets better mpg than the V6. I hadn't considered the internal lack of lubrication issue. Be nice if Doktor A would give his thoughts on that point.

I imagine you get the full warranty on the '06 as it's supposed to have.

You have an interesting situation.

mobileoilchange
04-17-2008, 12:10 AM
I will let a quote from someone's EBay auction speak for me. It stated, " For sale- '06 Sprinter, "last of the good ones".

how can one say that the 2.7 were the "good ones"
injector problems, turbo and egr problems just to name a few.

you dont hear about the 3.0's having injector and egr problems "yet"

the main down fall with the 3.0l so far is the mpg. but the poor mpg isnt just on the mb diesels, its all across the board since the DPF on all makes of diesels.

and i agree with sikwan, the fit and finish is ten fold over the 06 and older models.

kkanuck
04-17-2008, 01:07 AM
I will let a quote from someone's EBay auction speak for me. It stated, " For sale- '06 Sprinter, "last of the good ones".

you dont hear about the 3.0's having injector and egr problems "yet"

the main down fall with the 3.0l so far is the mpg. but the poor mpg isnt just on the mb diesels, its all across the board since the DPF on all makes of diesels.

and i agree with sikwan, the fit and finish is ten fold over the 06 and older models.

I have been told by Diesel engineers that a 5 cylinder is the best balanced configuration possible on a diesel engine, not a V6.....for what its worth......

fit and finish does not make or break a vehicle like track record and dependability can.

Electra
04-17-2008, 01:37 AM
I can tell you any engine period has it's own quirks and problems.

I don't understand the American obsession with "muscle" engines -- bigger is not always better. I'm not sitting at the stop light thinking "I gotta get out fast to pass this XYZ next to me." I get that look a lot in my big van, like I'm going to slow them down. The dealers tell me no one wants the 4cyl engines, so they don't stock them. I was looking for a 4cyl minivan for the 20mpg in the city -- desperate here. Good sell the one you got sitting right there cheap! NOPE. Asking $5K over value and over any other one like it in a 75 mile radius on autotrader or e-bay.

The I5 has a long standing reputation as a solid engine. The electronical components seem to be the biggest down fall. Those engines have very little left in the old diesel idea from what I can tell. Older diesels didn't need electric, firing, etc. like gas. They just ran. The timing, fuel injection (called something else) was all mechanical, now it's electronic.

Fuel Injector systems and turbo systems are electronic -- nothing wrong w the I5 config.

It's like washing machines, the old ones with the mechanical dials lasted forever. The new machines with circuits and motherboards, etc have their good and bad -- not one is faultless. Trust me, I've gone through enough of them. My new one just needed a new motherboard 3 mo old! Bosch - German design, made in Carolinas.

I'm also just not into the "fit and finish" as a make or break point. The ONLY thing I really like about the 08 is the side curtain air bags, it isn't however enough to make me give up what I like about the I5 engine. Okay and I admitted my fem side really likes how pretty and sleek the new 07/08 look -- but seriously, I'd have to have my head checked if I bought a vehicle b/c it was "pretty"!

Jeff Dunham comes to mind -- and his Prius act. Just search his name on You Tube -- hillarious.
http://www.bannet.org/video/GQcSOP2AzXU/jeff-dunham-spark-of-insanity-blue-toyota-prius-chiwawa-1.html
This is the best part -- "SPARKLEY"

Electra
04-17-2008, 01:39 AM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3187

My latest try at a Sprinter, failed.

I thought up new words to a popular song -- it's in the thread.

Suba
04-17-2008, 01:59 AM

Mobile, you seem to be an authority on Sprinters. What year do you have ? or are you a Sprinter tech ?

BTW, I have the I5, and think it's a fabulous engine. I also have several friends with the I5 and they won't buy a V6, and I have no intention of buying one either. IMO the 06 was the last of the good ones. Who cares about how fancy MB can make the body. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new 06 off a dealers lot. I wouldn't be concerned with any potential internal rust......I highly doubt there is any rust inside the engine.

The I5 is where it's at.

Electra
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not an owner yet and my research points to the I5 being :bow:
I'm might be the strangest fem out there to know and actually follow through with "pretty" isn't a selling point. "SPARKLELY" does not matter, getting from point A to B matters.

I decided to 'push' this last dealer a bit to accept my offer via an e-mail. I haven't previously. My husband's attitude is "take it or leave it, I'm not begging and I'm not asking twice". Well, I thought about it and this dealer guy was the one to call me back a week after I called on it -- signs he wanted a sale or "needs" to move the vehicle. Plus this vehicle is only lacking window tint.

I basically told the man I'm a buyer now at my offer and that my offer was based on fair market value. I am prepared to give him a hold payment while I arrange timing of travel out there. And I would be handing him a cashiers check with my trade in upon signing.

How much clearer do I have to be that I'm serious and I'm not playing the game? Now it's take it or leave it. In the mean time, an 06 came up for less than what I've offered and I called on it, then it sold before the guy called me back. The market supports $30K on an 06 Sprinter period.

I guess I'll know by this evening if he really wants to sell the Sprinter or not.

Suba
04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm not an owner yet and my research points to the I5 being :bow:

I wasn't referring to you when asking about owning a Sprinter, or being a tech. I was being contemptuous to my old nemesis. I think it's one thing to offer advice about Sprinters if someone actually owns one, or if they are a Sprinter tech, but to give advice or even condemn ( in this case the I5 ) when one has seemingly no credentials makes me question the validity of not only their statements, but also question why they are even here.

In other words, someone as I have described is simply not credible in my book when it involves advice or opinions about Sprinters.

Llarry
04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Hang in there, Electra! I think you've got the right attitude and approach and you will win in the end on one of these and come away with a great deal. :thumbup:

Electra
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I wasn't referring to you when asking about owning a Sprinter, or being a tech. I was being contemptuous to my old nemesis. .....

In other words, someone as I have described is simply not credible in my book when it involves advice or opinions about Sprinters.

Oh, I got that quite clear -- I am just pointing out that I had already come to my own conclusion and I don't even own one yet.

If I were so easily persueded, hmmm, who knows what someone could have sold to me ages ago...:D:

Llarry -- thanks for the vote of confidence. I do believe there is a dealer out there who will sell me my Sprinter. I just haven't called the right one yet or said the magic words or something...

Magic words -- I have a cashiers check for you! How many people are looking at Sprinters seriously right now with money in their pocket to buy it now? I've waited a long time to buy one, I can keep waiting.

I have no problem telling a dealer this is a "want" not a "need". I have a vehicle, it's nice, it works for our family. I'm in no hurry.

What I would love to say and just feel it might be taken rudely -- "my deal is now, not next week, not next month" or "my offer is good for a limited time" or "just cut the BS, I'm not dealing, this is my offer, take it or leave it" or "what makes you think another buyer is going to come along and pay your price? It's 2 1/2 freakin' years old "NEW". OMG you've got serious head case problems."

Breathe... chill... I'm not going to understand why I've been turned down and rejected.

I added my own twist of humor in my somewhat lengthy e-mail to the dealer to see if he actually read it.
"It's an older body style van that has sat unloved missing the fun of 3000 mile family road trips

Electra
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
I wasn't referring to you when asking about owning a Sprinter, or being a tech. I was being contemptuous to my old nemesis. .....

Oh, I got that quite clear -- I am just pointing out that I had already come to my own conclusion and I don't even own one yet.

If I were so easily persueded, hmmm, who knows what someone could have sold to me ages ago...:D:

Llarry -- thanks for the vote of confidence. I do believe there is a dealer out there who will sell me my Sprinter. I just haven't called the right one yet or said the magic words or something...

Magic words -- I have a cashiers check for you! How many people are looking at Sprinters seriously right now with money in their pocket to buy it now? I've waited a long time to buy one, I can keep waiting.

I have no problem telling a dealer this is a "want" not a "need". I have a vehicle, it's nice, it works for our family. I'm in no hurry.

What I would love to say and just feel it might be taken rudely -- "my deal is now, not next week, not next month" or "my offer is good for a limited time" or "just cut the BS, I'm not dealing, this is my offer, take it or leave it" or "what makes you think another buyer is going to come along and pay your price? It's 2 1/2 freakin' years old "NEW". OMG you've got serious head case problems."

Breathe... chill... I'm not going to understand why I've been turned down and rejected.

I added my own twist of humor in my somewhat lengthy e-mail to the dealer to see if he actually read it.
"It's an older body style van that has sat unloved missing the fun of 3000 mile family road trips and daily running in town, poor thing just sits there."

We're a nice family, we'll love your Sprinter baby no one wanted when it was new. Come on, sell it to me! Poor thing deserves a loving home!

KL2BE
06-29-2008, 01:04 AM

That is unquestionably true for the RV set anyway.
Class B Dealers are really fretting about how they can sell a new '08 Sprinter RV for a 20% cost premium (go check it out...these babies are priced from 90k to 105 k) while they are getting 20% less milage.
RVers are not making money with their vans. They drive them for recreation.
They are attracted to the Sprinters because they get good milage.
Sprinter based RVs have gained in popularity despite a $15,000 to $20,000 premium over Chevy or Ford based Class B RVs made by the same conversion companies.
The obvious lesson is that RVers want decent milage and will pay to get it. RVing will vanish altogether if fuel cost stay $.50/mile (a 10 MPG rig buying $5.00 diesel). The '06 Sprinter RV fuel cost is $.20/mile.
Enter the new Sprinter that gets 20% fewer MPGs and is costing $.33/mile just for fule.
Mark my words; the RV industry (what's left of it in 3 years) will start shifting to Japanese vans as soon as fuel economy pressure starts bringing them into North America; and it will.

Jrmorgan
06-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi, I bought a used 06 3500 with 1200 miles on it for $34,500.00. After I finished all the mods to it, I took it to the Dodge Dealer in Thousand Oaks CA. He told me I could sell my truck for the cost of a 07. Now the Service Manager told me that I might think about it but also consider that the 5 cylinder motor can run on Bio-Diesel. He said the 6 cylinder motor can not run Bio as Dodge forbids it.

I will leave it up to you guys, and you know who you are, to fight about the merits of this statement....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DAVEF
06-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Hello new guy here.........

I would like to know what dealer has some 06's on their lot..........i am intertested:thumbup:

I think the best way to make the deal is with cash/check when you have a trade it just muddies the water. I had a salesmen tell me once if they can't steal the trade they don't wan it.

DAVEF

BaywoodBill
06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi New Guy Dave.

Welcome

Electra worked her butt off to get an '06. She scouted the country. She gave some detail about the lengths to which she went in this thread and another one she started.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3187

VQ40
07-04-2008, 04:27 AM
Hello new guy here.........

I would like to know what dealer has some 06's on their lot..........i am intertested:thumbup:

I think the best way to make the deal is with cash/check when you have a trade it just muddies the water. I had a salesmen tell me once if they can't steal the trade they don't wan it.

DAVEF

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/ncal.jsp?ncal_id=2416844&ct=n&car_id=245157586&dealer_id=73476&car_year=2006&model=SPRINTER&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=48187&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=6

they got some 2007 with 5cyl englne
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/ncal.jsp?ncal_id=1629862&ct=n&car_id=222258456&dealer_id=73476&car_year=2007&model=SPRINTER&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=48187&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=6