PDA

View Full Version : Optional stabilizer bars?

Daybreak Express
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Someone asked me recently whether I ordered the optional heavy-duty front and rear stabilizer bars. I didn't, but that got me thinking about whether I should. Once the van is upfitted with shelving, a workbench, and other stuff it will be carrying about 450 lbs most of the time. Occasionally it will be called on to transport far heavier equipment. I've been told that the high roof adds to the stresses on the suspension, shock absorbers and ball joints. Any thoughts?:thinking:

72chevy4x4
03-11-2014, 11:59 AM
I wonder if it's too late to change your order. If so, how long until the 'no return' point in which you can't change the order.

I have a 2500 work van that is loaded in the 7500-7800lb range last I checked. Stabilizers typically help with cornering and load, less dive on the opposing wheel. If I could have had that decision knowing what I know now, I would choose the upgraded stabilizer bars.

Karl2014
03-11-2014, 01:18 PM
I didn't order those and wondered also. Can't they be added easily at any time?

david_42
03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I didn't order those and wondered also. Can't they be added easily at any time?

They can be added, but it's probably cheaper to do it upfront.

OP - I have a 2004 and generally run lightly loaded, but just a heavy-duty anti-sway bar and Konis made a huge difference.

Daybreak Express
03-13-2014, 12:26 AM
My salesman told me that the only time he's had anyone order them has been on 3500s which will be heavily loaded or have accessories such as booms installed. (mine's a 2500). I doubt very much I'll be loaded to the extent that yours is, 72 Chevy. In any case, I missed the boat-the order window is closed, the van's being built a week from today. Yay! I can always do like you did, David, if there appears to be an issue, and add an anti-sway and some Konis later on.