Start Problems

gjvander

Hi,

I have owned my 2004 Sprinter for a total of 4 days, and this morning it woud not start. 122,000 miles.

Approx 30 Deg F outside this morning. 150 miles on the same tank of fuel with no problems. I turned the key, wait for glow plug light to go out, then crank it. Engine starts and runs for about a half a second, then dies. Same for multiple tries (~8).

Does any of this sound like a familiar problem to experienced owners? I was wondering if it was a temp sensor that might be doing it.

Geo

gjvander

No, the tank is at least 2/3 full.

I don't know much about the diesels, but here is my list of suspect causes (in no particluar order):

1. Smart key. Not sure if the engine will crank if transponder key is not functioning correctly? Maybe someone can let me know what the Sprinter does when you try to start it with a non-transponder key.
2. Tired glow plugs. Would the engine start for 0.5 sec if the glow plugs were dead?
3. Water in fuel. I have a new fuel filter on order, and will replace soon.
4. Temp sensor. Seems like it might be going lean or something as soon as it starts to turn in anger. I will try to hook up OBD reader. What version OBD does 04 Sprinter use?

Geo

Top Bottom