Preemptive maintainance

dg55117

What is everyones' thoughts on changing alt, water pump, fuel pump etc?
2005 2500 with 135k?
As far as I know they are original.
I religiously change oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, fuel,air filter
Thanks

pfflyer

Problems with any? If you do change I would do tensioner, idlers and possibly alternator /clutch if it is replaceable as well. I agree with your line of thinking but at that mileage not sure unless something giving you trouble or planning very long trip. Just a thread this weekend about being stranded. A lot here carry spares parts and if you do replace before failure keep on hand in case of a jam.

chads

If you do anything, I would think the belts and hoses are more prone to leaks than the pumps etc.
Seems like the belt tensioners/pulleys are prone to fail also
I would inspect them closely and if you see a problem change it.
You may also take a close look at the harmonic balancer they have been known to fail.
Now days 135k used normally is not too much compared to years back.

I have 228k on mine and am thinking now I need to do a close inspection at each oil change.
I will take the top engine cover off to inspect for black death.
I want to take the belt off so I can check the travel and wheels etc.on the tensioner.
My tires were wearing a little funny and the front wheel bearings were a little loose so I had to set the preload a bit.
I did change my antifreeze, atf and differential fluid last year and think I should do atf again this year.
If you regularly travel to out of the way places it may be worth picking up a few of the harder to find parts and carry them with you like a fuel filter, transmission electrical plug that tends to leak and mess up the harness, correct atf fluid, fuel line set and clamps, the turbo hose part that's name is escaping me right now, glow plugs. brakes etc.
Often times the whole pile of parts ordered online are cheaper than a tow or the price of one part from a dealer if your in a pinch.

I often find that changing out good parts may often leave you with a lesser quality/rebuilt part if you don't get OEM parts. In that case your better off to buy them and carry them with you, in the event of a failure your ready to install.
Chad

lindenengineering

The major accessories can last a considerable time, what kills them is belt slip generating heat.
Defective accessories like belt tensioners are the culprit for the most part, together with worn belts.

The tensioner should be changed out at 100K miles and by that time the belt should have been changed twice on average. Normally guide rollers and tensioner rollers should also be changed to prevent "walking on the belt when in service. With a routine coolant flush change out the coolant hoses at 100K and clean all radiator matrix surfaces with soapy water and compressed air to keep the engine running cool.

Other than that follow to recommended service schedule and then don't fix what aint broke!
Dennis

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
The tensioner should be changed out at 100K miles and by that time the belt should have been changed twice on average.

Other than that follow to recommended service schedule and then don't fix what aint broke!
Dennis
Dennis,

Is there any recommendation to replace the belt and/or tensioner on age please?

As our 2004 OM611 is now 10 years old, but has only done 23,000 miles, I wondered if I should do anything more than a 'normal' oil and filters service.

Many thanks in advance,
Keith.

drew502

Dennis,

Is there any recommendation to replace the belt and/or tensioner on age please?

As our 2004 OM611 is now 10 years old, but has only done 23,000 miles, I wondered if I should do anything more than a 'normal' oil and filters service.

Many thanks in advance,
Keith.
Great question! I am in the same position with my 2004 with 30k miles.

dg55117

Thanks everyone.
Yes, I've done belts, filters hoses, metal turbo resonator and idler pulleys and tensioner( with german OEM), glow plugs, check for black death at oil changes, tranny electrical plug as it was leaking, - I also did the RSN Dr. A fix.
I do take it on long trips and don't want to be stranded. Maybe I'll get an alternator...probably all I can change on roadside anyway

Top Bottom