TREND Setting

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Looked at a new Winnie Trend on the Promaster chassis at the RV store yesterday. Very nice. Sort of a B+/C- in size. Nicely done inside and out. Roomy cab and coach. Nice galley. Huge full lavatory. Corner bed not to our liking.... Nice appointments. Moderernesque styling.

Sales guy said it got 15 MPG on transport from the factory. That's respectable. :thumbup:

They are going to sell a whole bunch of these! :thumbup:

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
just saw that 23L doesn't have the corner bed.
The Promaster is an acquired taste...it is kinda Alienesque with the bug-eyed headlights.
I do like how the TV is hidden away inside an "overhead bin"

Last edited:

twrooney

Test drove one, seemed to have adequate power, but didn't like the idea of front wheel drive and an Italian engine. Single rear tires and not as much towing capacity. Corner bed only 49"wide. That's why we wound up with a Winnebago view on Sprinter chassis.

jlchamberlin

twrooney. I agree with you that the Trend has less towing capacity than the View/Navion on the Sprinter Chassis. However, it being relatively smaller and lighter is the reason why it is does not require a dual wheel rear axle (wouldn't it be nice to have four tires instead of six?!). Re: the "Italian engine" comment, understand that all Trends built to date and into the near future utilize the Chrysler designed and built 3.6L OHC V6 gasoline engine, same goes for the transmission source. The highly respected "Pentastar" V6 is the most modern and widely used engine in Chrysler's vehicle fleet.
Additionally, the 23L's corner bed is exactly the same 49"x75" and my 2012 View J, despite the Trend being 1 1/2 feet shorter.
While the Trend may be a "lessor vehicle" in terms of size and capacities, compared to the View/Navion, it will likely be a better fit for some customers wanting something between a B and C, and at a lower price of entry.

bobojay

Test drove one, seemed to have adequate power, but didn't like the idea of front wheel drive and an Italian engine. Single rear tires and not as much towing capacity. Corner bed only 49"wide. That's why we wound up with a Winnebago view on Sprinter chassis.
What "Italian" engine?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
One thing to consider, at least for a while... because of their popularity and the number of units sold over the years there's usually a decent selection of clean, used View/Navions available at maybe a little more than half the price of a new Trend. Considering what you get personally I would (and did) consider the former a better value.

bobojay

3.6L v6 Pentastar..... Made in USA and Mexico?

Dunno if the 3.6 & 3.2 Pentastar are being made in Mexico also or not. We have a USA built 3.6 in our Jeep Wrangler and that is one sweet, smooth running engine.
40k miles on ours. Always starts almost instantly when the key is hit. Uses no oil between 8k mile changes. Idles so smooth I bet you could almost stand a quarter on end on it and it wouldn't fall over.....

chaunceyjb

I don't have any problem with the engine. It has populated much of the Chryco lineup. It's been used now for enough years that I think most of the early release hiccups have been ironed out. My son-in-law has it in his 2014 Durango. It gets great mileage mated to the ZF 8 speed tranny, and is plenty powerful enough. He's coming from a Lexus and a Nissan Murano and had pretty much sworn off American vehicles until he needed a 7 passenger vehicle. He as told me repeatedly that the Durango is the best vehicle he's ever had. And when he bought it, he drove from Missouri to Rhode Island, pulling a trailer and loaded for bear.

I wonder though, if the tranny may be the weak link in the Promaster. The 8 speed ZF is plenty beefy enough but it's used exclusively in north/south rear drive configurations (like the Durango). The nine speed is used in front drive vehicles, but most are lighter weight vehicles. To my knowledge, the largest vehicle where they use the Pentastar engine in a front drive setting (prior to the Promaster) is the mini-van. And they're still using the 6 speed in it, which I assume is the same tranny as the Promaster. That may be why they're sticking with the 6 speed.

As an aside, you might wonder why so many gears. I can tell you from driving my son-in-law's Durango that it's a great tranny. With that many gears, you have plenty of power at the low end, but it never revs up too much between shifts. The gear changes are almost imperceptible. But it has a sport mode where the engine revs a bit higher RPM before changes, which is helpful if you're more heavily loaded. And, all Durangos comes with paddle shifters. Really helpful when you're going to pass. You kick the tranny down a couple gears, and the tranny will hold it in the gear until you've completed the pass and then you can manually shift back to the the higher gear. (In contrast and by way of example, my old pickup would downshift when I passed then upshift just about the time I was ready to pull back into my lane of traffic, and when the tranny shifted the engine would then dog out.) If they could figure out a way to put that system in the Promaster, I think you guys would really, really like it. But alas, it's not to be as of yet.

I other feature I really like in his Durango is the adaptive cruise with accident avoidance. I think that would be great in the PMs.

Last edited:

twrooney

I did some quick research on the internet and it looked like Dodge was bought by Fiat and that promaster vans were used a lot in Europe. That's why I thought the engine was Italian.

One other thing that concerned me was the location of the generator, in the center of the vehicle behind the rear axle with no protection from the elements.

bobojay

I did some quick research on the internet and it looked like Dodge was bought by Fiat and that promaster vans were used a lot in Europe. That's why I thought the engine was Italian.

One other thing that concerned me was the location of the generator, in the center of the vehicle behind the rear axle with no protection from the elements.
The ProMaster is a heavily modified and upgraded version of the Fiat Ducato.

Almost all class B manufacturers install the generator behind the rear axle. No place else to put it in a van. Ours has the spare tire right behind the generator which is behind the axle. None of them hang lower than the differential pumpkin

Top Bottom