PDA

View Full Version : Help van wont start! GRRR

dilleyoshempy
04-13-2008, 01:30 PM
hey guys, im starting to get pissed off here, i just hit close to 90k in my van and all sorts oh **** is starting to go, first i had a transmission adapter leak which caused me to lose half a days off work and 200 dollars now the van wont start, the battery is fine, i can turn the lights on, radio, high beams, but when i turn the key to start it everything is normal for about 3 seconds then it just shuts off and the trip computer does some funky matrix thing and it wont start, just to be sure i gave it a jump but nothing, anyone have an idea what it could be, this is going to screw me over if i cant go to work tomorrow or most of the day and end up losing more cash :bash: i cant wait till nissan gets into the LCV market i hope one of the 3 trucks they are going to be bringing in is a van (they are all stated to have cummins diesels and ZF transmissions) if they come out with one im sure it will be cheaper and probably run better, never had any serious issues with any of my nissans that ive ever owned, absolutely nothing and then i will probably drop this van, i have had to many issues so far, my business needs trucks to run, run, run arrghhhh! :P

Altered Sprinter
04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Run up the codes ....so the guys can help:professor: info provided could be any thing Sensor ? PS My 2005 tin 3500 4 pot, now three years old never seen a dealer yet or breakdown that's life down under
NCV3 V6 2006 now clocked a massive 110 thousand miles never a single fault either Mind you half the paint is missing:shhh: but thats due to granite storms Yuk.
Richard

dilleyoshempy
04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
i dont have any way of retrieving them :(

abittenbinder
04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
just to be sure i gave it a jump but nothing

On a modern vehicle with extensive electronics, "just to be sure" means properly charging (or attempting to properly charge) and then load testing the battery. Save the jumper cables for use on your Sears lawn tractor.

Jump starting a modern vehicle is not only a unreliable way to assess battery condition but can result in very expensive repairs, especially if the battery has an internal defect. Doktor A

Aqua Puttana
04-13-2008, 03:25 PM
An old quick trick to check the battery is to turn on the headlights and have someone watch them as you crank the engine. They will dim slightly under normal conditions. If the lights go out you either have a bad battery or a bad heavy wire connection. That said, I don't think this quick test can hurt anything in your vehicle, but I'm new to Sprinters. Hope this helps. vic

dilleyoshempy
04-13-2008, 06:15 PM
well it started right up this time, tried giving it another boost but this time i kept the cars running for maybe 5 minutes vs 1 minute, stupid me, the weird thing is i could light up the high beams, play the radio, everything before, wouldnt that mean the problem was not with the battery, either way, me dumb :P

love my sprinter again :laughing::bash::tongue:

abittenbinder
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
the weird thing is i could light up the high beams, play the radio, everything before, wouldnt that mean the problem was not with the battery

NO-lighting your high beams does not mean your battery is capable of starting the engine.

Let me repeat my posting in a more understandable form: If you expect to get to work tomorrow morning- fully charge your battery and have a load test performed.

Fully charging means using an appropriate battery charger. If the charger cannot reach the vehicle then remove the battery and bring it to the charger for charging. Then, if fully charged, perform a load test.

The load test can be done, free of charge, by any auto parts store with a proper battery load tester. If your battery fails the test- replace the battery. If your battery is serviceable- perform appropriate diagnostics to determine why it failed to maintain a full charge in your Sprinter. And stop using those jumper cables! Doktor A

dilleyoshempy
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM
alrighty, thanks for your help! :cheers:

abittenbinder
04-14-2008, 12:01 AM
You're very welcome-Now go apologize to your Sprinter for your tirade in the opening post of this thread. And don't threaten your proud German with replacement with a Japanese vehicle again. Doktor A

Altered Sprinter
04-14-2008, 06:17 AM
You're very welcome-Now go apologize to your Sprinter for your tirade in the opening post of this thread. And don't threaten your proud German with replacement with a Japanese vehicle again. Doktor A
Actung Vito Panzer:lol:
Soll ich den Arzi rufun?
Von Herr Richard:bounce:

scubanw3
04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
The Sprinter engine starter draws an initial load of 500 amps!! One turn of the key and that 500 amp draw on top of the "100 amps" trying to fire up everything under the sun is to much for a marginal battery. So, the headlamps being normal really doesn’t mean much unless (as someone mentioned), they dim during starting. The problem is, in most cases, the Sprinter won't get let you far enough to see the dimming lights. With a flat battery, the system went directly in default mode. Letting the battery charge for 5 minutes put enough amps in the flat battery to overcome the default mode and start.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846