PDA

View Full Version : Driver's window auto-close

Crush
03-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I checked the manual but I didn't see anything mentioned about this.

When pressing down on the both the driver's and passenger's window buttons you can feel a pressure point in which if you click past it the window will go all the way down automatically.

When pulling up on the driver's window button, that same pressure point is there, but it doesn't make the window go up automatically.

If I remember correctly, this option had to be "turned on" in other vehicles. It definitely seems like it's setup for auto-up since only the driver's button has that pressure point.

Diamondsea
03-03-2014, 01:03 AM
It might be a USA safety issue. Years ago cars used slide or rocker switches for windows. Children were somehow getting injured in closing windows because the driver left the vehicle unattended with the key on. It was mandated that switches be changed so they worked up and down so that a child's hand or dog's foot leaning on the switch would open the window. As far as auto-up goes, this could be a hazard if a child were to start the window up while her head is out the window. Unfortunately we over regulate to protect ourselves from stupidity. No one should leave the vehicle occupied by a pet or child with the key on.

Crush
03-03-2014, 01:24 AM
That's why it makes sense to me that the controls on the driver's door won't make the passenger side go up automatically. But there is that "bump" in the driver's window switch for the auto-up. My other cars are the same way. The difference is that the auto-up works in those cars but not the Sprinter.

It's just odd to have that "bump" in the button but not have the feature. That's why I am thinking maybe it is an option that needs to be turned on. Another example is the locking of the doors at 8MPH, I had to turn that feature on in my other truck by doing a sequence of button presses.

johnshmit
03-03-2014, 02:26 PM
That switch does have a "bump", but window does not have an obstacle detector and feature is not implemented for the Sprinter.

jdcaples
03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
My 2007 does have obstacle detection, but it's not for everyday use.
It "teaches" the motor control where to park the window in its up position.

You set this by holding the button in the 'up' position and when the top is reached, keep holding the button until you feel (or hear) a "thunk." Then the motor is calibrated.

This isn't in the Dodge service info, but it's part of the "replace window motor" procedure in the MB service info.

-Jon

atulin
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
It might be a USA safety issue. Years ago cars used slide or rocker switches for windows. Children were somehow getting injured in closing windows because the driver left the vehicle unattended with the key on. It was mandated that switches be changed so they worked up and down so that a child's hand or dog's foot leaning on the switch would open the window. As far as auto-up goes, this could be a hazard if a child were to start the window up while her head is out the window. Unfortunately we over regulate to protect ourselves from stupidity. No one should leave the vehicle occupied by a pet or child with the key on.

All of the passenger cars do it which is probably why the switch has a detent there because some of the parts are probably shared with a car. I think they've taken it away now but you used to be able to close all of the windows and sunroof by holding down the recirculate button. My guess is it's a budget issue with the load sensing required to make it safe.