PDA

View Full Version : stolen keys

Douglas Hicks
02-28-2014, 02:41 PM
My briefcase was stolen last month. To date my loss is about $3,000.00. Among the loss were keys for both sprinters. So I have 2 questions
1. where is the best place to get new keys. The dealership or aftermarket/
2. Will my DAD reprogram the keys? And will it program the same keys for both the 2003 and the 2005?

hkpierce
02-28-2014, 03:17 PM
You might want to call SOS in Oregon - if they can, they will probably need your ECU. http://sosdiagnostics.com/

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389

Aqua Puttana
02-28-2014, 03:38 PM
My briefcase was stolen last month. To date my loss is about $3,000.00. Among the loss were keys for both sprinters. So I have 2 questions
1. where is the best place to get new keys. The dealership or aftermarket/
2. Will my DAD reprogram the keys? And will it program the same keys for both the 2003 and the 2005?
I'm 99.9% certain that the DAD cannot program new keys.

I believe that a DRBIII or proper Mercedes scan tool is needed. I'm also 99.9% certain that some authorization code is needed from the factory. Maybe not if you still have active keys? Aftermarket cloning just makes a identical copy of the key chip which is already programmed into your Sprinter.

Do you have the remote FOB? You may be able to remove the missing, stolen keys with key on-off operations and keep those that are present working for you. The procedure won't keep the mechanical key from working the door, but it may disable the SKREEM start handshake.

Some info is here.

More detail is here.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30941

Good luck. vic

skydiver007
03-01-2014, 02:04 PM
A DRB can add and remove keys, however, you cannot do it yourself because of the codes that you need to enter which Dodge and Mercedes only have. I tried to do it myself and that is the problem. The ECM creates a code which they feed into a computer and the computer spits out a corresponding code which you plug into the DRB.

If you don't clone keys or SOS cant do it, you must go to the dealer. Mine cost $75 for a new key programmed into the system. I would recommend cloning if you have a key.

That being said, you should have all keys in the system removed since they were stolen. Then only add back in the ones you use.

MikeP
03-01-2014, 08:06 PM
"Sorry!", I don't mean to mess with thread flow, just curious.
Our 03 Sprinter has lately got picky about my key. At times the remote fob takes afew attempts to get doors to lock. Opening have no problem hit twice and all doors unlock.

The key it self is picky, too. Stick it in ignition and won't turn at times, have to remove it and re-insert key to be able to turn ignition.

I know we got 2 fobs when we bought van new but that was 10 years ago and Mama lost her key & fob sometime/somewhere about 7-8 years ago.

So, what to do or where to go?
The Dodge place we use for Sprinter service is couple hours away. Will we need to special order new key & fob? Hope to make only 1 trip.

Or can local Dodge dealer make/program us a key & fob. Don't know if it makes any difference but local dealership is selling new Promaster Van. Good part is local dealership is like 5 minute drive.

"Thank you!" for any advice and information.

skydiver007
03-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Here is what I done for a new key.

Make sure you have registration and VIN number with you and go to dealership. They order a new FOB with key or just the key that will go in the FOB. All they need is the VIN number to cut the key. Just a transponder key cost me $45 from the dealer. You can also get the keys on Ebay for dirt cheap and someone on here got it cut and cloned for under $10 at ACE hardware.

If you are just cloning a new key it is cheaper if you can find someone to do the clone.

If you need a new key, the dealer must program it to the system. SOS as mentioned earlier can do it but it will take longer.

A new transponder key from the dealer cost me $75

The older your key gets, the more it looses the ridges and becomes smoother and doesn't work properly.

Douglas Hicks
03-04-2014, 11:18 PM
I called SOS and they quoted $275.00 for each key + programing the key. I have to take both sprinters to Canby or have the SKREEM removed and have a van out of service for a few days. The person I talked to said they could not clone the keys.

I called the dealer I bought my dodge Sprinter from. I was told that any Dodge/Chrysler dealer could order the new keys and program them.

I am not sure who to believe, except I am no closer to getting keys made for my vans. Has anyone tried a non-Sprinter Chrysler dealer for keys and the programming? Did it work?

hkpierce
03-05-2014, 02:11 AM
I called SOS and they quoted $275.00 for each key + programing the key. I have to take both sprinters to Canby or have the SKREEM removed and have a van out of service for a few days. The person I talked to said they could not clone the keys.

I called the dealer I bought my dodge Sprinter from. I was told that any Dodge/Chrysler dealer could order the new keys and program them.

I am not sure who to believe, except I am no closer to getting keys made for my vans. Has anyone tried a non-Sprinter Chrysler dealer for keys and the programming? Did it work?

I may be wrong, but I think the quote you got from SOS was for a remote key.

skydiver007
03-06-2014, 02:14 AM

If you have no keys, they must be cut by VIN number. Dealer only can do that unless you find a locksmith who can cut by VIN.

Go to dealer who has DRB III capability or newer system and take VIN numbers with you and order keys.

When they come in, you will either have to tow them to dealer or have them come to you (not likely) and have the keys programmed.

Plain and simple. SOS is your other option.

Cvollmar
03-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Dealer will need to order the key for your vehicle by using the vin. At that point as skydiver said they use the DRB to program them. The DRB spits out a code that the dealer then goes online and enters, at which point they get a new code back that is then programmed into the vehicle using the DRB. I am actually able to do them myself due to the fact that we have so many of them and are able to acess the MB dealer site.