Oil Change, Oil Filter, Air Filters, Fuel Filter Change

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
Thanks to all who helped answer my questions here:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31278

I successfully changed oil, oil filter, air filters, and fuel filter in my 2008 NCV3 2500.

I bought the drip pan that jdcaples suggested in the thread above. I got it at NAPA for $15. It works like a charm. It is well-designed with a plastic grill to catch the plug and washer as they fall, and it can hold 15 quarts. And the lid stayed on snug when I transported the oil to a shop for disposal.
I also used a big flat tray (bought at Wal-Mart) to avoid any spilled oil on the ground.

Since I was going to remove electrical connections in the air filter housing as well as the fuel filter, I disconnected the chassis battery negative terminal above the accelerator pedal. (Thanks Bobojay)

IMG_3850 - Copy - Copy.JPG

I had driven a few miles before pulling in to change oil so the engine was at operating temp. But I changed air filters first to let the oil cool just a bit so as not to get burned.

Changing the cabin filter is the easiest thing ever...just lift the clips up gently and/or push down a bit on the old filter and pull out and then up to remove it...clean out the housing with a rag or in my case, paper towels. Insert new filter bottom first to fit into the rail made for it and then push the top down gently and then toward the cabin to insert.

Next, the air filter housing has torx screws which are really not screws that come out of the housing (Thank you German designers...this is good for a klutz like me). They just twist one turn and are undone but stay in the cover. Lift the cover, and insert new filter. Made the sides of the filter snug in the housing. Also cleaned out the housing first to remove dirt/debris.

Now the oil had cooled just enough...I bought the assenmacher oil filter cap tool from amazon to remove the Oil filter cover. Pic below with part # etc. I realized when I got to it that I didn't have a socket big enough to use my socket wrench on the new bought tool. I just used a crescent wrench instead on the assenmacher tool to unscrew the fuel filter housing. It was just a bit snug but not too bad at all. This is where some caution is needed because really dark oil will drip out of the oil filter. Going in with both hands and keeping a paper towel handy will help. I went for the oil filter first because we all may have read a recent horror story where one forum member couldn't get the filter cap to come off. I decided, if the oil filter is not coming off, I am keeping the oil change for another day.

IMG_3855 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3852 - Copy (2).JPG

Next, I went under the van with a socket wrench and slowly removed the drain plug. I thought oil would start trickling the moment I unscrewed even a couple of threads...not so. Which is a good thing. It allows you time to position the pan to catch the flow once it starts. I didn't let a single drop spill into the tray...all went directly into the drain pan. The flow took a few minutes and I finally inserted the drain plug WITH a new crush washer which came attached with the box of the new Oil filter. I had a torque wrench but I just used the socket wrench and made things snug and then some (highly technical metrics here..."and then some").

Next, I fed the motor some brand new oil. I used a funnel for the first quart but I realized that would be painfully slow. I removed the coolant hose from its clip and that made room to tip the oil bottles comfortably while keeping the spout right above the fill hole.

IMG_3858 (Small).JPG
IMG_3859 (Small).JPG

Based on bobojay's advice, I filled only 12 quarts at first instead of 13.25. After doing the rest of the service (fuel filter portion continued below...), I finally connected the negative terminal and started the engine and I didn't get a low oil light until the next day. I filled up oil next day and checked the dipstick for assurance.

Assyst, and fuel filter below.

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
Surprisingly, the fuel filter change turned out to be EASY! and it is easy to say that after the fact, but it wouldn't have been easy if it weren't for this forum and this thread:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23101

Thanks to Kat.

the 2008 NCV3 filter is a bit different than the one Kat has in the 2010. But the process is identical.
To get access, you have to remove the air filter housing and also remove the large intake hose. Plus, the jumpstart stud resides on the filter housing and needs to be slid off. After moving the air filter housing to the side, remove another cover that is right below. This cover also has torx screws that won't come out of the cover, and thus, won't get lost in the abyss below.
Now the filter is visible and ready for removal.
I unclipped the sensor by gently pushing in its plastic clip and pull the sensor. Then I went straight for the two screws holding the sensor to the top of the filter. Removing those screws allowed me to twist the sensor and then pull out the entire assembly. Next, the OEM hose clamps on the fuel lines were removed with a pair of regular flat jaw pliers. I wasn't going to re-use them so I only cared not to puncture the hoses.

The hardest part was unscrewing the bolt that makes the fuel filter housing snug. I didn't have good access and I didn't have the right tool...A short screwdriver with a hex bit would be fine. I had a long screw driver and I was too sideways to get the bit into the hex hole. I had to climb up on the front step and then use a crescent wrench to hold the hex bit firmly and unscrew the bolt....:thumbdown:

Finally, I pulled a fair bit on the filter and it came out...very little diesel was spilled. I transferred the diesel to the new filter using a funnel...so why was this liquid BLUISH? like Aqua Velva? I had no idea diesel is this color. It also has a couple of ounces of additive in the whole TANK...but anyhow...the new filter went to its new home and the hoses were reconnected and the sensor went in comfortably. I know that folks have put an empty fuel filter in but it was too easy to not transfer fuel into the fuel filter that I did it anyway.

Put everything in its place, replaced covers and air filter housing, and was ready to roll.

I have omitted mention of rubber seals that go in the OIL filter, and rubber seals that need replaced in the fuel filter as well. I should certainly mention them before closing...yes, these seals come with the filters.

The OIL filter came with a large seal and two small ones. Large goes on the filter cap and the small ones on the spindle. Fuel filter also comes with small rubber seals that need to be replaced on the sensor.

Assyst seemed to not work even after a solid minute of pushing the M button on the dash. But then I changed the setting to show the service due mileage and tried again. It worked just as advertised in the Assyst specific thread. I set it to Single Wrench...I am going to study more to see what the difference is between 1 and 2 and set accordingly.

For those out of warranty and have some sort of extended warranty like I do, I will advise keeping receipts of parts in the very least. After that, it is just your word that you did the maintenance. But buying parts and keeping receipts may help when negotiating repairs under extended warranty.

I couldn't have done this without this forum. Thanks to all of you. I'd be VERY happy to donate and I'm saying this in the open not to show off but to encourage others that benefit from this forum to do the same.

The dealer quoted me 600-650 for all this above work plus a 2 hour drive each way. I did it for $200 in parts and 2 1/2 hours of my time. It'll be less next time.

Comments, suggestions, helpful tips, always welcome!

IMG_3860 (Small).JPG

IMG_3861 (Small).JPG

IMG_3863 (Small).JPG

sailquik

awaywego,
Ummm....you replaced the fuel line clamps after you removed them with plain flat tip pliers?
The "Clic clamps" are actually very good and will work for the life of the vehicle if you get the special tool made
specifically to remove and replace them.
The clic clamps remain tight throughout a wide range of temperatures if you use the proper tool and do not damage them.
So what kind of clamps did you replace them with?
Roger

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
Roger,

I thought the specialty tool was too expensive to justify 1 filter change per year.
I've kept the OEM clamps. I've read thread where folks have used a slip-joint type plier to remove these and re-attach.

I got a 13mm and 15mm from Europarts-sd

21015.jpg

sailquik

awaywego,
OK!
Yes, the clamp in the photo from Europarts SD is a good quality fuel injection line clamp.
The fuel injection clamps are the right way to go if you don't continue to use the clic clamps.
Problems arise if regular hose clamps are used for these sort of higher pressure fuel lines.
Carry on!
Roger

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
awaywego,
OK!
Yes, the clamp in the photo from Europarts SD is a good quality fuel injection line clamp.
The fuel injection clamps are the right way to go if you don't continue to use the clic clamps.
Problems arise if regular hose clamps are used for these sort of higher pressure fuel lines.
Carry on!
Roger
Excellent! I learned good stuff from the forum :cheers:

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
snip....

Finally, I pulled a fair bit on the filter and it came out...very little diesel was spilled. I transferred the diesel to the new filter using a funnel...so why was this liquid BLUISH?

snip....
I'm not sure that transferring the diesel fuel from the old filter to the new one is a good idea. Any contaminants in the old filter may well be transferred into the new one, especially if there happens to be some water in the old filter that could find its way into the new one.

Just my opinion, FWIW :2cents:

Otherwise, an excellent step-by-step description, with pics.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
So, we can all drive to Bozeman, MT and you can change our oil, filters and such now that you're an expert? :)

Seriously, you did very well for being a self-proclaimed noob.

-Jon

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
I'm not sure that transferring the diesel fuel from the old filter to the new one is a good idea. Any contaminants in the old filter may well be transferred into the new one, especially if there happens to be some water in the old filter that could find its way into the new one.

Just my opinion, FWIW :2cents:

Otherwise, an excellent step-by-step description, with pics.
makes sense. I'll make sure I get some fresh diesel to prime the filter next time. Thanks!

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
So, we can all drive to Bozeman, MT and you can change our oil, filters and such now that you're an expert? :)

Seriously, you did very well for being a self-proclaimed noob.

-Jon
I'm humbled. If you entrust me with it, I'll certainly gain more experience!
Well, Thanks Jon. I must reiterate that I couldn't have done it without the forum members' help.

40 days of ownership today!

:cheers:

sailquik

awaywego,
Priming the fuel filter is completely unnecessary in your NCV3 Sprinter based RV.
You have an electric booster pump in your fuel tank that will very quickly fill the fuel filter and
all the fuel lines between the fuel tank and the high pressure pump on the engine.
'04-'06 T1N Sprinters have the same sort of pump that will pressurize the entire LP fuel system to
65-85 PSI as soon as you turn the key.
Earlier T1N Sprinters with the OM-612 DO NOT have a booster pump in the tank, and priming the fuel filter
becomes very important as the fuel must be drawn under a vacuum from the tank all the way up to the pumps on
on the top front of the engine.
Hope this helps,
Roger

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Yeah, just turn the key to position two (glow plugs fire) and the in-tank lift pump will pressurize the fuel lines to something north of 65 psi. It doesn't take long to fill the fuel filter and the system is self-purging of air.

If you're really paranoid, the lift pump will pressurize for 30 seconds or so. Do it twice if you're that worried, but really, it's a non-issue.

-Jon

Really appreciate the time you took to describe the process, as I'm nearly two hours away from my dealer. As always, Sailquick's pointers are also very helpful knowledge. Is all/any of this applicable to the 2014 vehicles?

sailquik

Daybreak Express,
Your 2014 take less oil for an oil change, but uses the same Low SPAsh oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 being probably the best/most recommended).
The oil fill is a little different, and the air filter is different, but most of what awaywego has described and photographed is pretty much applicable to the 2014 I4 OM-651.
It's completely applicable to a 2014 with the OM-642 V6 5 speed. The 2014's are virtually identical with the earlier models.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

bobojay

A correction and one pointer. The mid-2012 on up V6 fuel filter is different in that besides being triple the price of previous, it has a non-removable water sensor, so that step is a mute point. Just fuel line clamps and the electrical plug in, besides the filter hold down itself is the job there. Same clamps as before. The 4cyl has the same fuel filter as the pre mid-2012 V6, or being more precise, 2010 to mid-2012 fuel filter.

awaywego, a pointer. You shouldn't disconnect that negative battery terminal until the vehicle has been turned off for at least 10 mins. It allows the computer, (ECM, PCM etc), to go through it's shutdown sequences, especially the EGR valve cleaning sequence, (the clicking you hear under the hood when you first turn the key off).

Having said that awaywego, have you checked to see if your Sprinter has all of it's due software updates?

awaywego

2008 NCV3 2500
Thanks for the pointer, bobojay. Shall keep that in mind when disconnecting negative next time.

So how do I find out if I have the latest software updates...at a dealership I guess.
How often has the software been updated by MB in my NCV3?
And if this is anything like computer Operating system updates, are all updates necessary or can I live without them?

bobojay

Thanks for the pointer, bobojay. Shall keep that in mind when disconnecting negative next time.

So how do I find out if I have the latest software updates...at a dealership I guess.
How often has the software been updated by MB in my NCV3?
And if this is anything like computer Operating system updates, are all updates necessary or can I live without them?
Grab your serial no. and either go to or call your local MB or Freightliner Sprinter dealer and they can check for updates.
My guess is you have some coming. Most of them are for emissions related issues. If it was me, I'd get them. We've got one coming for our 2013 when we can get it into a service shop:rad:

Top Bottom