She finally did it to Me, no start

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
Started this morning at 30f no problem, drove to point B stayed there for 1 hour came out turned the key and she cranks and cranks but will not star. Towed it back to take a look at it with the scanner and there are no codes then did a test with the scanner and says the fuel pressure sensor voltage is low but there are no codes and the engine is Not running so I thought that is the reason there is no pressure and therefore no voltage. I'm at a loss, no codes and she will crank but not start. I put a spare new cam sensor thinking that was the problem but nothing changed, I think that is enough of parts until I figure what is keeping it from starting. Please give Me something to do to it.

Thanks.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If it is colder than you've experienced it with he before, there may be some frozen water in the fuel filter clogging it... try a hair dryer to warm it up.
Check that there are no bubbles in the clear fuel lines.
It may be that the battery is too weak to get the starter enough speed to spin the fuel pumps fast enough to reach minimum fuel pressure to allow a start. Try getting a power boost from another running vehicle.
If all else fails try spraying a small amount 1/2- 1 second of starter fluid in the EGR ,putting the hose back on and starting, a large amount of starting fluid will ruin the engine completely, but a couple cylinders firing may give it enough speed to continue running.

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
I've started this van below zero F all winter long and it starts right away every time no matter the temperature, I use fuel conditioner every fill up for winter and summer blend on all My diesels (I fill up at the same fuel station) also I installed a new fuel filter a couple of months ago and there was never any bubbles on the clear lines before or after. The battery is brand new cranks very fast and it started right away even this morning, this is the first time it happens and there was no warning. The only thing I wont do is starting fluid on a system with glow plugs, I know some people do this but a system working properly should start no problems with out it.
It is ironic that after spending the money to purchase a sprinter compatible scanner I get no codes from the ecu.

surlyoldbill

High pressure fuel pump? Mine got funky with lower temps this winter, but it was a slow death with plenty of warning.

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
This came as a surprise, some times she would crank and not start but only when warmed up I would try again right away and it would start like nothing happened so I bought a cam sensor thinking it was on its way out, I installed the new one on a parking lot today thinking it finally bit the bullet but my was I surprised when I cranked it again and it did not fire.

I'm reading the manuals right now, is there any way to test the fuel pressure sensor or and HPFP?

Thanks.

halexh

2003 158" 2500
I'm reading the manuals right now, is there any way to test the fuel pressure sensor or and HPFP?

Thanks.
I tired testing the rail pressure sensor. But I wasn't very successful. You also kind of need the vehicle running to get pressure if you want to test it while it's in the van. It's a 3 wire plug (looking at the front of the rail the left wire is ground/ middle wire is signal/ right wire is 5volts/ with key ON I believe 0.5 volts from the signal is normal and at idle it was 1.28-1.32 measured with a multimeter.) If you unplug the rail pressure sensor the ECM defaults to max rail pressure and the van will start if that is your issue. You mentioned scanner if you can see live data there should be gauges for low pressure / high pressure fuel.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31195

surlyoldbill

Might be low fuel rail pressure. Leak-off test might show a bad injector, or it might be bad o-rings in the rail solenoid (end of fuel rail by the firewall).
Might have nothing to do with fuel, like the recent guy that had a problem with damaged crankshaft sensor wiring or mount.

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
Might be low fuel rail pressure. Leak-off test might show a bad injector, or it might be bad o-rings in the rail solenoid (end of fuel rail by the firewall).
Might have nothing to do with fuel, like the recent guy that had a problem with damaged crankshaft sensor wiring or mount.
I remember that one, I did crawl under the van on the driver side I saw the sensor at the top between the engine and the transmission and it looks just fine no damage that I could tell. I did a leak off test a couple of months ago and they were fine.

Thanks

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
Well I just went outside and pulled the plug on the pressure sensor and cranked the engine but it wont start, then I pulled the pressure regulator on the back and still nothing, does this mean they are ok?

Thanks.

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
The engine will not start with the solenoid (rear of fuel rail) unplugged.
Thank You, I tried it both ways and still nothing.

I connected the scanner again and tried to perform a test on the fuel pressure sensor and since the vehicle is at idle it shows a voltage of 0.57v which apparently is good enough for the scanner bc it says that it checks out.

halexh

2003 158" 2500
Thank You, I tried it both ways and still nothing.

I connected the scanner again and tried to perform a test on the fuel pressure sensor and since the vehicle is at idle it shows a voltage of 0.57v which apparently is good enough for the scanner bc it says that it checks out.
I am not 100% on this so don't base any decisions on it. But if you try cranking while scanner is plugged in and that pressure sensor voltage goes up you have pressure in the rail your problem is not fuel. :thinking:

surlyoldbill

To further explore the crankshaft sensor, if you want to eliminate it as a source of no-start, take it out and look at the tip for signs of damage from a damaged or out of balance flywheel.
The camshaft sensor at the back of the injector valley will also not allow the engine to start if it is unplugged or failed; crank but no start.
Stupid question, but just checking; did you look at all the fuses?

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
To further explore the crankshaft sensor, if you want to eliminate it as a source of no-start, take it out and look at the tip for signs of damage from a damaged or out of balance flywheel.
The camshaft sensor at the back of the injector valley will also not allow the engine to start if it is unplugged or failed; crank but no start.
Stupid question, but just checking; did you look at all the fuses?
Yes I pulled them all to look at their condition, under the steering wheel and on the driver seat door side, they are all fine. I did install a new camshaft sensor, I will pull the crank sensor next time.

Thanks.

MikeHowe

2003 Sprinter 413 CDi
With my 03 there were two issues for sudden non-starting...

1. Injector failure, happened quite suddenly and leak off test picked it up
2. Air in fuel lines coming from the water in fuel sensor on the fuel filter - I couldn't see the air bubbles but enough air had gotten in and was preventing fuel reaching the high pressure pump and the injectors. Replaced the fuel filter with one that doesn't have a water in fuel sensor (see T1N write -ups by) and the problem was solved (although you have to crank for quite a while until the air is purged).

Hope that helps, Mike

You have a Sprinter friendly scan tool?

Basics

You need good cranking speed. Is your battery good?

For reliable starting you need at least 2900 psi at the fuel rail rail when cranking.

The high pressure pumps are generally reliable.

Just because the injectors were good a while ago doesn't mean that one didn't go bad. It may be worth doing the leak off test again.

Unless in the early stages of failure (intermittent, temperature sensitive) I would think that a crank or cam sensor which was preventing starting would throw a code.

The OM612 fuel rail solenoid seals have a history of failure which can affect fuel rail pressure at cranking. The resulting leakage is internal and cannot be seen with visual inspection.

Information. Not a diagnosis.

Good luck. vic

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
So far I've disconnected the mass flow sensor, rail pressure sensor, cam sensor and crank sensor and the scanner shows codes p0190-002 voltage too high RPS, p0100-001 voltage too low MAF and P1354-016 no crank signal, also one for the cam sensor but I didn't write it down. I suspect of this items were faulty there would be a code showing even when they are connected to the fact that I only get a code when I disconnect them means they are ok?
I'm in contact with Doctor A and I will need His knowledge to figure this one out.

I will see if I can test fuel pressure from the filter to the HPFP.

Thanks.

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
Well, what the hell, she fired up. I spoke with Doctor A today and He suggested to do another leak off test. I did and the engine bucked as if it wanted to fire up so I come out and put everything back together crank the engine and what do You know it fires up. It looked like foam inside the clear fuel line from the filter to the HPFP so I drove it a few miles and up a long steep hill, worked her a little and looked at the lines again, they were mostly clean of air but a few stray tiny bubbles.

I'll to try get a return line kit and rail sensor O-ring from Doctor A, sounds like good insurance. This episode certainly brought Me and the scanner closer together, I hope to get more familiarized with it. I'm glad to find out what the problem is, I hope I can find out what is causing it. Thanks to everyone here for the support and ideas.

halexh

2003 158" 2500
It's such a comforting thought knowing that at any time / any place it might not start.

I solved my problem the same way :hugs:

Top Bottom