PDA

View Full Version : Key fob stopped working

fluidpilates
02-24-2014, 06:43 PM
2004 T1N 2500 140" My key fob stopped working a week ago. Won't unlock or lock the doors. The central locking switch on the dash works. I replaced the batteries in the key fob. I have cleaned all contacts, checked the fuses under the steering column and the fuses on the side of the drivers seat. Are there fuses under the seat I need to check out... before I go crazy? Is that what solved Dennis Park problem?
Thanks!

NelsonSprinter
02-24-2014, 07:05 PM
With the central locking switch working, the locks have power.
It is either the receiver/antenna picking up the signal to unlock not working/fuse out , or the fob transmitter worn out if new batteries were put in correctly.

israndy
02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
If the light comes on when you push the button on the fob then the batteries are in correctly.

-Randy

fluidpilates
02-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Where is the fuse located for the receiver/antenna located? The red light comes on when I press the button.
Thanks

Cheyenne
02-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Could your fob have lost sync with the SKREEM?

I found this thread from a couple of years ago that deals with re-syncing a key fob to a 2001... Link (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6622). Have a look at the pdf attached to post 2.

Is this the correct procedure for a 2004?

Keith.

fluidpilates
02-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Could your fob have lost sync with the SKREEM?

I found this thread from a couple of years ago that deals with re-syncing a key fob to a 2001... Link (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6622). Have a look at the pdf attached to post 2.

Is this the correct procedure for a 2004?

Keith.

Thanks for the info. I tried the procedure a few times with no luck...:thinking:

fluidpilates
02-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Just bought a used key fob on Ebay. Hoping it will work and I can reprogram without going to the dealer...
Still don't know where the fuse for the receiver/antenna is???

Haasman
02-27-2014, 12:02 AM
I was told (after validating the battery was good) that I would have to bring in the van and both keys and have them reprogrammed at the dealer (Doge or Mercedes). Still need to do this.

Missouri Blue
02-27-2014, 01:46 AM
When you so say that the center toggle switch works, does it lock and unlock or only unlock when the doors are locked? I ask because my key FOB will not lock the doors and my toggle switch will not lock doors, but both will unlock the doors... My problem is the silly crash mode sensor that automatically tells the computer to unlock the doors. This is my second time dealing with this... both time a cart in a parking lot hit my bumper... so now I just don't lock my Sprinter. I'm sure this is not your problem, but thought I'd offer it just in case.

autostaretx
02-27-2014, 02:00 AM
Just bought a used key fob on Ebay. Hoping it will work and I can reprogram without going to the dealer...
Still don't know where the fuse for the receiver/antenna is???

Here are the fuses that affect the RKE system (from the service manual)
Note that the antenna doesn't have a fuse.

Note that (other than Fuse Block 1), the actual position of the other fuses are unique to each Sprinter... check the fuse map on the driver's side panel door.

2003 and 2006 service manuals can be downloaded from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

--dick

mgmtoo
02-27-2014, 02:21 AM
I've had the same problem with my 2004 Sprinter. The fob stopped working about 2 years ago! Central locking system works fine, just no remote door lock/ unlock, sure do miss that feature! The only dealer left to work on a dodge tin is a freight liner dealer. They want $175.00 just to hook it up to their computer. I just use the key to lock my door.

fluidpilates
02-27-2014, 04:02 AM
When you so say that the center toggle switch works, does it lock and unlock or only unlock when the doors are locked? I ask because my key FOB will not lock the doors and my toggle switch will not lock doors, but both will unlock the doors... My problem is the silly crash mode sensor that automatically tells the computer to unlock the doors. This is my second time dealing with this... both time a cart in a parking lot hit my bumper... so now I just don't lock my Sprinter. I'm sure this is not your problem, but thought I'd offer it just in case.

The center toggle switch unlocks and locks the doors. The key fob lights up, but does nothing to unlock or lock the doors. It still starts the van fine though...

shortshort
02-27-2014, 05:20 AM
Is it possible to hook a receiver with two N/O relays into the toggle switch wiring? I must have ten of those lying around with fobs to go with, and the range is probably 10 times that of the OEM fob.

autostaretx
02-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Is it possible to hook a receiver with two N/O relays into the toggle switch wiring? I must have ten of those lying around with fobs to go with, and the range is probably 10 times that of the OEM fob.
One momentary relay should do it... remember that the on-dash switch isn't a permanent closure, and that the top set of contacts both lock and unlock the doors. It's not a case of "top locks, bottom unlocks".
You simply won't be able to say what the *next* press of your remote will do.

If you're trying to insert your remote between the existing RKE sensor and the CTM which actually controls the locks ... that would be harder... it's a communication line (carries computer-to-computer messages), not just a simple on/off lock/unlock signal.
2006 service manual, page 8w-39-6, the "RKE INTERFACE" wire.

--dick