PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle batter drain when parked?

chromisdesigns
02-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I recall having seen a number of references to vehicle battery drain when parked for "extended" periods of time. What "extended" means seems to vary a lot...

A couple days ago someone claimed "NCV3's can flatten a battery in a couple weeks parked doing nothing".

I am wondering why, and whether it has anything to do with what factory / aftermarket options are installed. NAV or other GPS sensors, option package that comes with steering wheel buttons, factory radio, alarms, leaving your scangage plugged in...who knows?

We certainly haven't seen any issues with leaving our coach (2013 cab/chassis NCV3) parked for several weeks at a time. Always cranks vigorously and starts right up after being left alone. But, we don't have factory radio or nav, and the steering wheel button electronics were not available for 2013 on cab/chassis.

I always turn the house battery isolation switch off when the coach is not in use, but have never disconnected the vehicle battery connection.

What are your experiences and thoughts?:thinking:

jdcaples
02-22-2014, 12:25 AM
I used to leave my sprinter in airport parking for 4-6 weeks at a time. It always started fine.

I'd be inclined to blame aftermarket equipment... But I am cynical that way.

Jon