PDA

View Full Version : No power!

AircooledJohn
02-18-2014, 07:44 PM
2006 T1N, 100k miles.

Been pretty reliable, small stuff here and there.

Yesterday it lost power suddenly.

CEL did not go on until today. Still low power.

I can barely hit 3k RPM free revving in neutral.

I suspect a split resonator but have not had a 2nd set of hands to help me rev it while I crawl under.

What about a frozen EGR?

Are there a few things I can check to narrow this down?

Thanks so much

John

mendonsy
02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Check ALL the hoses between the turbo and intake manifold. The bend just above the intake manifold is a favorite place for the hose to split on the '06.

AircooledJohn
02-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I had that top hose split last year. This is different. When that hose was bad, the T1N blew smoke out the exhaust. I'm not having that now. But I'll look over all the hoses carefully.

NelsonSprinter
02-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Max under 3000 RPM while under load with a turbo problem is possible with black smoke, but not in neutral, very strange symptom

sailquik
02-18-2014, 11:36 PM
AircooledJohn,
You should be able to look at the seam near the top of the turbo resonator and see if it's leaking.
Having someone "rev" the engine does almost nothing as it will not develop any boost out of gear and
simply being revved up.
Easiest fix would be a trip to your nearest authorized MB Sprinter dealer for a full diagnostic scan with the MB SDS system.
Otherwise you could replace nearly every sensor on the engine, and still not find out what's wrong.
Roger

vader
02-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Check vacuum system for leaks with a vacuum pump not just visually and turbo charge pipes and intercooler for splits cracks . A tapered plastic cup from the kitchen cut down with a hole in the bottom to accept the nozzle from a compressed air gun , remove charge pipe from turbo outlet and push cup into the hose , do not exceed 15 -20 psi max . This will tell you if the charge pipes , intercooler is split or leaking .
next check under the filter box next to the round black ball is an electronic controlled turbo compensating valve . this should be pulling 12 v to operate properly . mine was reading 9.1v to 10v depending on ambient temp ( 32 to 34 degrees c ) if it is under the 12v it may be a cracked wire (brown ) or a rubbing loom coming from the ecu . I had several problems when I bought my van with the same symptoms
1 cracked black ball behind headlight under filter box
2 rubbing loom on rhs engine mount . lifted wire and put insulation under it and cable tied
3 replaced compensator valve . this was probably good before it was replaced as i did not know what voltage it was supposed to be reading at the time .
4 a sticky vacuum actuator arm on the turbo
Try this at youre own peril . this reply comes from a back yarder and the advice is worth what you paid for it , but it worked for me.
good luck with youre problem
I hope this makes sense ?
vader : cheers:

Aqua Puttana
02-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Vader gives some good advice, but some, much?, of it is specific to the OM612 engine with vacuum actuated turbo vane controller. Your 2006 OM647 engine has an electronic vane actuator so that means that many of the parts he mentions aren't on your vehicle.

Get a scan from a Sprinter specific scan tool. Your MIL (aka CEL) is lit. It's very likely there is information there for you.

vic

autostaretx
02-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Use this as the reason to finally buy a ScanGauge/DashDAQ/Ultragauge...
it probably would report a clue for the CEL
and will report the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) to tell you if the turbo is working/leaking.

--dick

AircooledJohn
04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Update: I DID use this as an excuse to buy the Scangauge, which I wanted for several years!

It was throwing a P0404 code. My research showed a lot of hits on an EGR valve. I bought one, and installed it earlier today. After removing the codes another one showed, but since a fresh erase my power is back and no more MILs!

So I hope I am out of the woods. It was pretty brutal driving around with 30hp in LHM!

Thank you everyone!