PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to remove, a stripped rotor screw?

L8RSK8R
02-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Normally I'd get in there and start drilling, but I'm sure y'all have had this happen along the way. What did you do?

Oilburner
02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Drill it and that's all.. they need the screws at assembly line only, so the rotors are not falling down. Have my Mazda all rotors replaced this way and no single screw was put back.
Once you got it drilled out, you might be lucky to remove the rest of it nice and easy (this was in my case).

L8RSK8R
02-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Drilling shall commence in 10 mins. :rad:

surlyoldbill
02-14-2014, 02:52 PM
I have a set of these combo drillbit/extractors that work really well in one step. They have a drill bit on the tip and then the tapered extractor starts. They are nearly useless in tool-less drills, because you are running reverse and the drill will loosen on the tool. Mine are the quick connect type, and I use them in my cordless impact drill which has a quick connect head. Unlike other screw extractors, these work every time. It helps to hit the screw/bolt with a good penetrating oil like Kroil.

L8RSK8R
02-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Mission complete.
4 new rotors/pads/cleaned up the calipers, replaced motor & differential oil. New air/fuel filter & waiting for POR-15 & transmission dipstick to arrive, so I can treat the panel behind the washer reservoir and replace trans fluid.

Any idea how much I saved on labor costs?

surlyoldbill
02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Mission complete.
4 new rotors/pads/cleaned up the calipers, replaced motor & differential oil. New air/fuel filter & waiting for POR-15 & transmission dipstick to arrive, so I can treat the panel behind the washer reservoir and replace trans fluid.

Any idea how much I saved on labor costs?

From dealer: $3500